“A wonderful family vacation”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #59 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband, nine year old daughter and I stayed at Azul Fives the first week of April. We had an amazing time. Absolutely no complantes about the quality of food, service, activities, spa, pools, kids club, etc. The staff were amazing! Extremely friendly, helpful and definelty hard working. We do agree thay you can't get anywhere with the lobby staff, but in reality, it's no different than any other resort we have been to. I have read MANY of the reviews before and after our trip. Anyone who has a complant about this resort have set their expectations too high. I agree that this is a conservative five star, but you get what you pay for. Also, as always, you get more with honey than with vineger.
Spa:My husband and daughter treated me to a massge at the spa. Wow! What an experience. it was the best massage I have ever had. Yes, it is expensive but definelty worth it! Thanks Alex!!! I recommend going early to take atvantage of the steam room, sauna, hot and cold tubs and rain showers.
Pool: wonderful! The infinity pool is beautiful. It is the more active pool and gets very busy in the afternoon. Thats when we would go to the other pools. It is nice to get a drink and walk around the winding pools. A good way to cool off, relax and socialize. Pleanty of chairs around the pools and at the Beach. We would walk down ealrt in the morning to reserve chairs so we could pick a good location for the day. A couple of days we got the beach beds. My daughter loved them. The beach staff were great! It is certainly a long hot day for them! The pool bar staff are fun, fast and will make anything you want! We loved the Mango Daiquiri, Mojhito, purlple rain and my vavourite Mimosa. A special Hi to Ali!
Beach: Beautiful! we enjoyed walking on the beach at least twice a day and playing in the waves. We just walked to the left and few hundred feet to get away from the rocks.
Restaurants: We never had a bad meal, poor service or long waits. I liked them all. A special thanks to Gabrilla and Marco at the Beach Grill for treating us exceptionally well and making an effort to remember own names and for always giving us a warm welcome! I would also like to acknowledge Erik the bar manager for his exceptonal work. he never stoped running from bar to bar to ensure all was running smoothly but he always made time to stop to say Hi, make sure everthing was OK and always asked if we needed anything. Keep up the great work!
zky Bar was beautiful overlooking the beach, ocean and pools. We enjoyed having our after dinner drinks out on the deck to take in the views and watch the sun go down. Elizabeth, we enjoyed our visits and thanks for taking such good care of us!
The the daytime entertainment staff were the best I have ever seen!!!! A very special hello and thankyou to Jasmine and Eduardo!!!! Dont worry gus, i'll make sure that "sunshine" takes care of her "beautiful eyes!" keep up the great work, you are both exceptional!! They made sure my daughter and I took part in all of the fun daily activities such as aerobics, dance lessons, special drink activities, pool side games, beach volleyball, and the list goes on. My daughter really liked th kids Yoga, it was her fist experience in this and she made sure she did it every day. The instructer was amazing, great with the kids! the adult yoga was challenging but good.
The Nightly intertainment: The best we have ever experienced! A good variety of shows that were perfessionally performed. The games before the shows were fun for all ages. My daughter won the TV trivia and Eduardo chose my husband and I for a dance contest and we won, very funny.
. We also met some wonderful travellers during our stay at Azul.
Trips are what you make them. As travellers/visitors to other Countries, we need to be patient, understanding and willing to adapt to and show respect to different cultures. We also need to understand that we are not at home. If you are that warried about such small things as brightness of lights in the bathroom then maybe you should stay home!

3  Thank Cindy G
There are newer reviews for Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Our family (w/ two boys 5 and 7) booked a 7-night trip to Azul Fives 4/13-20. We had never stayed at any Karisma properties prior to arriving. The resort itself is not large, but we liked the landscaping and the layout is well organized. We booked a double room which in retrospect was too small. That said, we didn't spend a lot of time in it and we made it work. As many reviewers have pointed out, the food is a mixed bag. I liked the fact that 3/4 dinner dining options were not buffets (fresher preparation and less temptation to over eat). However, I can not fathom why they do not highlight local cuisine (why is it a struggle to get Mexican food at Mexican resorts?). Ironically, we ended up preferring Flavours (the buffet) as there was freshly grilled meat, poultry, and fish. Breakfast was also pretty solid. Nothing fancy, but made to order eggs and all the other basics covered as well.

Overall the staff is friendly. I always appreciate feeling welcome. However, I do feel the resort is poorly managed or lacks the appropriate management training and systems required to make it run smoothly. When we checked in we were told our room was not ready. Fine ok, not the first time that has ever happened. They offered to give us a ride to a restaurant to get a late lunch (we had been traveling since 6am an now it was 2:30 or so). After waiting for 20 minutes or so for a ride that never came I finally said something to the clerk and suggested he just point us in the right direction and we'd find it. Suddenly our room was ready...

On the Monday of our trip we went to Xel-Ha, a fantastic eco-park and one of the highlights of our week. On our way back it poured. When we got back to our room we realized that the ceiling was leaking. I called the front desk multiple times to have someone come and take a look and move us to a new room. It took almost 2 hours and me getting fairly belligerent (at the end) to get someone to our room and then move us (they were able to send room service with dinner faster than someone to confirm that, yes, there was water streaming from the ceiling). The kicker is that they simply moved us across the hall. Why did it take 2 hours to figure that one out? Ironically, we received a flyer under our door to buy a condo the day before...not likely. Lastly, when they moved us they never updated their housekeeping management system so our room was not cleaned for 2 days (again, repeated calls to motivate them to action). What was most disappointing about all of this was that there was never any acknowledgement by the resort management of the problem. I can only conclude that they didn't know or simply didn't care.

As a comparison, we've been to various Club Med properties at least 5 times. Their GMs are ever present and they are constantly engaging with guests (yes, they introduce themselves) and making it clear that if there are any issues, they want to be aware of them. In contrast, I couldn't distinguish the staff at the Azul Fives other than the varying uniform types.

As I mentioned the property is appropriately sized - not one of the many overgrown monstrosities that dot Riviera Maya. In addition, my kids used the kids club and enjoyed it. It was not as well organized as what we've experienced at Club Med, but it worked for us. The pools were also pretty good. We spent most our time at the infinity pool and beach and although there was a bit of competition for chairs, it never seemed to be as out of hand as I have seen it elsewhere.

Because it is a smaller resort and with the mixed condo/hotel format, we decided to take a couple of day trips to break up the days. As mentioned we went to Xel-Ha and we also went to Talum. The trips themselves were a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Overall, I really wanted to like the resort. However, given the resort management's apathy towards customer service there are too many other nice properties and locales to consider than take a chance that history will repeat itself.

5  Thank joshua d
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Returned this morning from a week at the Azul Fives with my wife and 2 kids - 6 and 8. The best thing (in our opinion!) about this hotel is the staff - they are the friendliest staff we've ever been lucky enough to encounter on any of our travels. The food was fantastic - we all ate too much. I know some people can be picky and those people are probably picky eaters when they are at home too, but we are not picky eaters but also love good food and the Fives delivered. Drinks were great - our kids loved the Mango-Tangos! The beach isn't that good for splashing in the waves due to the rocks/coral, but we had fun. A few short walk to the left there is a nice sandy spot if you don't have water shoes. Pools were fun - loved the connecting rivers and swim up bars. never had to wait long for a drink. i would recommend this hotel to families who just want to relax, sit back and go with the flow. If you like to be entertained all the time and like a larger resort you may not like this one so much. For us it was just what we wanted!

3  Thank toddathome
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife, two sons (15 and 11) and I just got back from Azul Fives and couldn't be happier with our choice for a family vacation. If I could give 4.5 stars I would have.

First: the staff were friendly, helpful and very attentive - from our room, to poolside, to the restaurants - everyone went out of their way to make sure we were happy and had everything we needed (great example - one night at dinner my son was craving a dessert on the menu from a different restaurant at the resort that was not on the menu of the restaurant we were eating in - totally ridiculous request, right? - 3 minutes later it was served without any fuss and the waiter was smiling all the way). Also - every time we were sitting by the pool someone came by to see if we needed something to drink, to let us know about activities that were starting soon, etc.

Second: the food is excellent. We went with the all inclusive package - it was the first time we had done this and weren't sure how good the food would be. With the exception of the food at the Grill by the beach (where the food was good, but nothing special), all of the restaurants offered up really tasty food. You need a reservation for the Italian restaurant (Arezzo), but it's easy to do - all the other restaurants are easy to get into. From the gnocchi at the Italian restaurant to the maki sushi wrapped in banana at the Asian restaurant, all the food exceeded our expectations.

Third: swimming. Our boys love to swim and spent a lot of time in the different pools. The big pool by the beach is great and they loved the long pools that snake their way through the villas (and swim up bars for frozen orange juices). The only downside to the resort is that the beach in front of the hotel is a bit rocky. We did swim there a bit, but as others have noted there's a sandier part of the beach to the left that we went to a couple of times.

Fourth: nighttime fun - there were a lot of activities at night and we went to the fire show on the beach one night. The Zky Bar has a wide assortment of games (Jenga, Uno, cards, etc) as well as good music and videos. We also went into Playa del Carmen a couple of nights (highly recommended).

Thank you to everyone at Azul Fives for a great introduction to Mexico, Playa del Carmen, and all-inclusive resorts! We hope to be back again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool on the ground floor are great - it's never hard to find a chair by a pool...
3  Thank mgoff-BOS
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I just returned from a one week all inclusive at Azul Fives. Our family consists of mother, father and one child who is 9 years old.

Check-In - we arrived a midnight and there was only our family and one other checking in so it was very quick. We got a good deal so we upgraded to the one bedroom suite with a king bed and pull out couch. The room was ready minus the pull out bed which they had to come and pull out and make up for our child (this took about 20 minutes). We were on the second floor of Villa 12. It smelled like mould the entire time we were there - sort of that Mexico smell with the damp that doesn't leave only it doesn't disappear when the AC is on.

The room was okay. We had two bathrooms and the one in the bedroom - the light above the mirror is so dim you can't put on make-up as you can hardly see. The room was okay - sort of slapped together (poor quality/workman ship) such as cracked tiles, doors didn't glide, handle fell off the closest door (just sort of sitting in the hole), corners of the tile sloppy, no spacers in the flooring so it is uneven. Balcony was very big and nice to have. It rained the last three days we were there and after a time, the rain came in through the wall and made a lake on the floor in the living area. This is why I think that the room much be covered in mold (in the walls). We mopped it up with towels but it was certainly a lot of water. Others had the same problem which leads me to think that there is a serious design flaw in the construction. Cleaning is done quickly. There was bird poop on our balcany table and each day another wipe reduced it some. We had a running bet on how many wipes it would take until it was gone. It was still there when we left so we shall never know. I spilled power on the floor on the first day and it was still there in the tile cracks when we left as well.

Tips - yes - for everything. No animal towels if you don't in the room. Sometimes you get drinks and water - sometimes they give you some and not others, sometimes you get two conditioners and no shampoo - it is a mystery.

The staff were very friendly and kind. I don't think we passed a single staff member right down to the gardener who didn't say Hola every time we passed them. The resort is small and therefore, has a personal feel to it with other travellers. We met a few nice families and people were very friendly. Each time we went to the buffet, we would often have the same waiter but it was like he had never seen us before (maybe we all look the same). They introduce themselves and welcome you but more like a script. It was somewhat funny.

Food was okay. We ate at the buffet, the Sea Olive and the Beach Hut. Most of the food at the buffet was average at best and there were two nights we ate pizza as we couldn't find anything else we really liked. The Sea Olive was the best of our three and the Beach Hut I didn't like at all. It has standard junk type food (fries/hamburger/nochos). I do think that a lot of the food is recycled but that maybe because the hotel was at 50% capacity when we were there. What didn't get eaten at lunch was served back up for dinner with a sauce or some vegtables but the food tasted like it was overcooked. On the Carribean night they put chopped up melon and fruit in the rice. The ice cream maker is broken and remained so the entire time we were there. There is food pretty much available all day but you have to sit and order items/be seated/etc. There is no real snack hut where you can go and grab a plate of nochos or something sweet. The good news is that we didn't gain any weight while there! Coffee - not great and no coffee bar.

We forgot our child's bathing suit - silly and yet true. They were sitting neatly on the bed when we got home ready to be packed. Since swimming is the only thing to do at this hotel - it is necessary. We went to the gift shop to buy one and the cheapest one that had was $72 USD. We took the $30 (return) cab ride to WalMart and bought one for $10USD - still cheaper with the cab included. The dollar store blow up floats were $45 USD. CRAZY. I can't believe that they sell a single item from the store. I keep thinking that if they put their prices even a little above the market value, it would sell - but they are all about 5000% over fair market. They staff at the gift shop are the only ones on the resort that are not friendly. There is WalMart and if you wish to walk down the street for 5 minutes there are two local variety stores where you can get a candy bar for a dollar vs the $6 at the shop on the site.

Cabs are $15 each way to either WalMart or Playa del Carmen. I recommend Playa del Carmen as it was fun and there is lots to see. Every time I go to this area of Mexico it changes and grows. I couldn't believe how much this time. This is where the trinkets and such are cheapest. We spent a fun day on 5th Ave and the locals were not pushy (they do ask you to go in but if you say no thanks, they just move on to the next). When leaving Playa, the cab is about 1/2 price that you paid from the resort. They must charge a huge premium to park at the hotel.

Kids Club - looked fantastic. This is the first resort I have been to that the staff actually play with your child. I have been to several resorts throughout the carribean and Mexico and usually the kids club has staff watching TV at the front your child entertains themselves. Not here. The kids who I knew who attended loved the kids club. The issue for us was that our child was too old for this club. It is suited for children between the ages of about 3 - 7yrs max. It has lots of great stuff (Fisher Price) all in good condition from what we saw. My child was bored and didn't want to be there and stay.

Shows/Entertainment
The shows begin at 9:30 pm so if you have kids, hopefully they will sleep in after a day of swimming in the hot sun. They are normally in the Zky Bar with a very small stage - I guess there is only so much room and not much they can do in that space. They seem to be an after thought and in our opinion not very good at all.

They have a tennis court/chess and checkers that you can play outside. We never saw anyone playing with the exception of tennis.

The biggest issue we had is that we were so bored. There is nothing to do. We ended up doing tours for fun and I highly recommend the dolphin royal swim - it was fantastic. On the resort when it rained, you sit in your room to entertain yourself as there is no where to sit outside of the rain. The lobby is really small and not a place to socialize. I think that the hotel can't decide whether to be condo rental or a resort but I would say it is really more of a condo place. It wasn't built to function as a resort. I think that when the market tanked, the condos didn't sell and they reverted to a resort but it isn't really.

Beach - very rough and rocky. We snorkelled in the ocean right at the resort and there are a few fish so it was neat. You need water shoes as there are tons of sea uchins everywhere. We did get the boogie boards twice but all other days we were not allowed to have them and the kayaks for any of the days because it was too rough (I think it is always too rough and I never saw them used once). The boogie boards were touch and go - sometimes yes, sometimes no. In fairness it is really rough in the ocean. Trying not to drown or get the boat caught on the rocks seemed a good cure for boredom but was not to be.

Check out was fine. We didn't leave until 8pm and had to get out of our room by noon that day. It was raining so no where to go and nothing to do so we asked for a late check-out. It was $70 USD to get this.

I would say that this is a good place for groups of older people or very young families that really just want to sit by the pool and be in a really quiet place. If this is the vacation you dream of - you will love it (provided it is not raining:).

One last thing, no departure tax back to Canada!

Room Tip: The regular rooms have twin beds so if you have kids - get the one room. We are not large people bu...
2  Thank enRouteLondon
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have stayed at many hotels in the Yucatan peninsula and all of them have their pluses and minuses.
What we loved about the hotel was the amazing, fresh food; the spacious rooms (although it was almost impossible for more than one person to use the huge master bathroom due to the very weird placement of doors which seemed to keep hitting things everytime they were opened); the new, very clean facilities; the availability of kayaks, a tennis court, boogie boards and snorkeling gear; the nice pools and beach; and the mostly very kind staff.
What we hated about the hotel was the slimy pitch by the "concierge" to buy a timeshare, which we later found out was not the real concierge; the fact that our keys didn't work for 2 days (the entire hotel was having a problem, probably due to the fact the place was completely booked), the fact that no rooms have ocean views.

1  Thank scubamaui
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Fellow travelers, I am fortunate to travel quite often and this is my experience.

This property doesn't live up to their stars, During our stay I tried to figure why I was being so unhappy, I came to a very simple conclusion, you want to receive a fair amount of quality and service back from your hard earned dollars. In this case this is a hotel that is priced at more than double what I feel we received. I would have been happy if this had cost me $70 per night and not complaining but at over $300 I feel pain from my hotel election.

The facilities are well kept and clean, beds and pillows are comfortable however the first issue we encountered, on my wife's birthday vacation was that the regular room we had booked had two full size beds, we are fairly small and trim I want to think but honestly we couldn't comfortably sleep on one bed, so the romance out the window and each of us on a separate bed. We called and asked for options and they suggested we upgraded to the the suite which was a hefty increase per night as the regular rooms are only two full sized beds. no kings or doubles.

The second issue we encountered was that every time (at least 10 times on different days) we wanted to reach the front desk they would never answer the phone this included our last call to ask for a bell boy to carry our luggage on our check out date so we ended carrying our bags our selves through the property. We mentioned this to the front desk manager in turn and his response was "no the phones ring well we answer all the time" I really didn't want argue with him but the simple issue that they wouldn't even take feedback is very sad, they seem to think they are doing everything perfect.

Staff is poorly trained, looks like most of them don't really know much about anything and I mean if you ask anyone about anything you will probably get an "I don't know" or "no it can't be done" quite frustrating specially because in my experience the service level in Playa del carmen in other hotels is way better up to the point that people do almost anything to please the guests.

Finally the biggest area of opportunity for the hotel to improve is the food, really and I am not exaggerating, for the price they charged us we got a very bad food, and don't get me wrong we didn't get sick, but it didn't taste good, it didn't look good and it was poorly served. Several times we got reheated old food, not joking I ordered in one case fries and fried calamari, both had been fried at least once before they were chewy and was clear they had been at a buffet early on and then took the remaining ones to the a la carte restaurant, sad sad, I remember many events like this. For you guys who like to drink bottled water because its Mexico and who knows restaurants do not serve bottled water they told me it was purified but there was no way for to really confirm this.

Finally its incredible that with a resort like this you won't get free internet, I have gotten it from two other resorts in this area in previous trips, so I was kind of expecting it and no not here this guys want to extract as much money from you as possible before you go.

In conclusion, my experience which was somehow similar to many on tripadvisor was sad for a vacation, because I got stressed and frustrated a few times and this is something you want to avoid on vacations. Unless you don't care about the food and the attitude of the staff look for other properties, there are many more focused on overall quality. Please review the star rating of this hotel as its not accurate

Room Tip: Pool side, be aware of the bed size.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
#12 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!