Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fab Fives”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife, two sons (15 and 11) and I just got back from Azul Fives and couldn't be happier with our choice for a family vacation. If I could give 4.5 stars I would have.

First: the staff were friendly, helpful and very attentive - from our room, to poolside, to the restaurants - everyone went out of their way to make sure we were happy and had everything we needed (great example - one night at dinner my son was craving a dessert on the menu from a different restaurant at the resort that was not on the menu of the restaurant we were eating in - totally ridiculous request, right? - 3 minutes later it was served without any fuss and the waiter was smiling all the way). Also - every time we were sitting by the pool someone came by to see if we needed something to drink, to let us know about activities that were starting soon, etc.

Second: the food is excellent. We went with the all inclusive package - it was the first time we had done this and weren't sure how good the food would be. With the exception of the food at the Grill by the beach (where the food was good, but nothing special), all of the restaurants offered up really tasty food. You need a reservation for the Italian restaurant (Arezzo), but it's easy to do - all the other restaurants are easy to get into. From the gnocchi at the Italian restaurant to the maki sushi wrapped in banana at the Asian restaurant, all the food exceeded our expectations.

Third: swimming. Our boys love to swim and spent a lot of time in the different pools. The big pool by the beach is great and they loved the long pools that snake their way through the villas (and swim up bars for frozen orange juices). The only downside to the resort is that the beach in front of the hotel is a bit rocky. We did swim there a bit, but as others have noted there's a sandier part of the beach to the left that we went to a couple of times.

Fourth: nighttime fun - there were a lot of activities at night and we went to the fire show on the beach one night. The Zky Bar has a wide assortment of games (Jenga, Uno, cards, etc) as well as good music and videos. We also went into Playa del Carmen a couple of nights (highly recommended).

Thank you to everyone at Azul Fives for a great introduction to Mexico, Playa del Carmen, and all-inclusive resorts! We hope to be back again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool on the ground floor are great - it's never hard to find a chair by a pool...
3 Thank mgoff-BOS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,773)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I just returned from a one week all inclusive at Azul Fives. Our family consists of mother, father and one child who is 9 years old.

Check-In - we arrived a midnight and there was only our family and one other checking in so it was very quick. We got a good deal so we upgraded to the one bedroom suite with a king bed and pull out couch. The room was ready minus the pull out bed which they had to come and pull out and make up for our child (this took about 20 minutes). We were on the second floor of Villa 12. It smelled like mould the entire time we were there - sort of that Mexico smell with the damp that doesn't leave only it doesn't disappear when the AC is on.

The room was okay. We had two bathrooms and the one in the bedroom - the light above the mirror is so dim you can't put on make-up as you can hardly see. The room was okay - sort of slapped together (poor quality/workman ship) such as cracked tiles, doors didn't glide, handle fell off the closest door (just sort of sitting in the hole), corners of the tile sloppy, no spacers in the flooring so it is uneven. Balcony was very big and nice to have. It rained the last three days we were there and after a time, the rain came in through the wall and made a lake on the floor in the living area. This is why I think that the room much be covered in mold (in the walls). We mopped it up with towels but it was certainly a lot of water. Others had the same problem which leads me to think that there is a serious design flaw in the construction. Cleaning is done quickly. There was bird poop on our balcany table and each day another wipe reduced it some. We had a running bet on how many wipes it would take until it was gone. It was still there when we left so we shall never know. I spilled power on the floor on the first day and it was still there in the tile cracks when we left as well.

Tips - yes - for everything. No animal towels if you don't in the room. Sometimes you get drinks and water - sometimes they give you some and not others, sometimes you get two conditioners and no shampoo - it is a mystery.

The staff were very friendly and kind. I don't think we passed a single staff member right down to the gardener who didn't say Hola every time we passed them. The resort is small and therefore, has a personal feel to it with other travellers. We met a few nice families and people were very friendly. Each time we went to the buffet, we would often have the same waiter but it was like he had never seen us before (maybe we all look the same). They introduce themselves and welcome you but more like a script. It was somewhat funny.

Food was okay. We ate at the buffet, the Sea Olive and the Beach Hut. Most of the food at the buffet was average at best and there were two nights we ate pizza as we couldn't find anything else we really liked. The Sea Olive was the best of our three and the Beach Hut I didn't like at all. It has standard junk type food (fries/hamburger/nochos). I do think that a lot of the food is recycled but that maybe because the hotel was at 50% capacity when we were there. What didn't get eaten at lunch was served back up for dinner with a sauce or some vegtables but the food tasted like it was overcooked. On the Carribean night they put chopped up melon and fruit in the rice. The ice cream maker is broken and remained so the entire time we were there. There is food pretty much available all day but you have to sit and order items/be seated/etc. There is no real snack hut where you can go and grab a plate of nochos or something sweet. The good news is that we didn't gain any weight while there! Coffee - not great and no coffee bar.

We forgot our child's bathing suit - silly and yet true. They were sitting neatly on the bed when we got home ready to be packed. Since swimming is the only thing to do at this hotel - it is necessary. We went to the gift shop to buy one and the cheapest one that had was $72 USD. We took the $30 (return) cab ride to WalMart and bought one for $10USD - still cheaper with the cab included. The dollar store blow up floats were $45 USD. CRAZY. I can't believe that they sell a single item from the store. I keep thinking that if they put their prices even a little above the market value, it would sell - but they are all about 5000% over fair market. They staff at the gift shop are the only ones on the resort that are not friendly. There is WalMart and if you wish to walk down the street for 5 minutes there are two local variety stores where you can get a candy bar for a dollar vs the $6 at the shop on the site.

Cabs are $15 each way to either WalMart or Playa del Carmen. I recommend Playa del Carmen as it was fun and there is lots to see. Every time I go to this area of Mexico it changes and grows. I couldn't believe how much this time. This is where the trinkets and such are cheapest. We spent a fun day on 5th Ave and the locals were not pushy (they do ask you to go in but if you say no thanks, they just move on to the next). When leaving Playa, the cab is about 1/2 price that you paid from the resort. They must charge a huge premium to park at the hotel.

Kids Club - looked fantastic. This is the first resort I have been to that the staff actually play with your child. I have been to several resorts throughout the carribean and Mexico and usually the kids club has staff watching TV at the front your child entertains themselves. Not here. The kids who I knew who attended loved the kids club. The issue for us was that our child was too old for this club. It is suited for children between the ages of about 3 - 7yrs max. It has lots of great stuff (Fisher Price) all in good condition from what we saw. My child was bored and didn't want to be there and stay.

Shows/Entertainment
The shows begin at 9:30 pm so if you have kids, hopefully they will sleep in after a day of swimming in the hot sun. They are normally in the Zky Bar with a very small stage - I guess there is only so much room and not much they can do in that space. They seem to be an after thought and in our opinion not very good at all.

They have a tennis court/chess and checkers that you can play outside. We never saw anyone playing with the exception of tennis.

The biggest issue we had is that we were so bored. There is nothing to do. We ended up doing tours for fun and I highly recommend the dolphin royal swim - it was fantastic. On the resort when it rained, you sit in your room to entertain yourself as there is no where to sit outside of the rain. The lobby is really small and not a place to socialize. I think that the hotel can't decide whether to be condo rental or a resort but I would say it is really more of a condo place. It wasn't built to function as a resort. I think that when the market tanked, the condos didn't sell and they reverted to a resort but it isn't really.

Beach - very rough and rocky. We snorkelled in the ocean right at the resort and there are a few fish so it was neat. You need water shoes as there are tons of sea uchins everywhere. We did get the boogie boards twice but all other days we were not allowed to have them and the kayaks for any of the days because it was too rough (I think it is always too rough and I never saw them used once). The boogie boards were touch and go - sometimes yes, sometimes no. In fairness it is really rough in the ocean. Trying not to drown or get the boat caught on the rocks seemed a good cure for boredom but was not to be.

Check out was fine. We didn't leave until 8pm and had to get out of our room by noon that day. It was raining so no where to go and nothing to do so we asked for a late check-out. It was $70 USD to get this.

I would say that this is a good place for groups of older people or very young families that really just want to sit by the pool and be in a really quiet place. If this is the vacation you dream of - you will love it (provided it is not raining:).

One last thing, no departure tax back to Canada!

Room Tip: The regular rooms have twin beds so if you have kids - get the one room. We are not large people bu...
2 Thank enRouteLondon
maui, hi
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have stayed at many hotels in the Yucatan peninsula and all of them have their pluses and minuses.
What we loved about the hotel was the amazing, fresh food; the spacious rooms (although it was almost impossible for more than one person to use the huge master bathroom due to the very weird placement of doors which seemed to keep hitting things everytime they were opened); the new, very clean facilities; the availability of kayaks, a tennis court, boogie boards and snorkeling gear; the nice pools and beach; and the mostly very kind staff.
What we hated about the hotel was the slimy pitch by the "concierge" to buy a timeshare, which we later found out was not the real concierge; the fact that our keys didn't work for 2 days (the entire hotel was having a problem, probably due to the fact the place was completely booked), the fact that no rooms have ocean views.

1 Thank scubamaui
San Antonio TX
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Fellow travelers, I am fortunate to travel quite often and this is my experience.

This property doesn't live up to their stars, During our stay I tried to figure why I was being so unhappy, I came to a very simple conclusion, you want to receive a fair amount of quality and service back from your hard earned dollars. In this case this is a hotel that is priced at more than double what I feel we received. I would have been happy if this had cost me $70 per night and not complaining but at over $300 I feel pain from my hotel election.

The facilities are well kept and clean, beds and pillows are comfortable however the first issue we encountered, on my wife's birthday vacation was that the regular room we had booked had two full size beds, we are fairly small and trim I want to think but honestly we couldn't comfortably sleep on one bed, so the romance out the window and each of us on a separate bed. We called and asked for options and they suggested we upgraded to the the suite which was a hefty increase per night as the regular rooms are only two full sized beds. no kings or doubles.

The second issue we encountered was that every time (at least 10 times on different days) we wanted to reach the front desk they would never answer the phone this included our last call to ask for a bell boy to carry our luggage on our check out date so we ended carrying our bags our selves through the property. We mentioned this to the front desk manager in turn and his response was "no the phones ring well we answer all the time" I really didn't want argue with him but the simple issue that they wouldn't even take feedback is very sad, they seem to think they are doing everything perfect.

Staff is poorly trained, looks like most of them don't really know much about anything and I mean if you ask anyone about anything you will probably get an "I don't know" or "no it can't be done" quite frustrating specially because in my experience the service level in Playa del carmen in other hotels is way better up to the point that people do almost anything to please the guests.

Finally the biggest area of opportunity for the hotel to improve is the food, really and I am not exaggerating, for the price they charged us we got a very bad food, and don't get me wrong we didn't get sick, but it didn't taste good, it didn't look good and it was poorly served. Several times we got reheated old food, not joking I ordered in one case fries and fried calamari, both had been fried at least once before they were chewy and was clear they had been at a buffet early on and then took the remaining ones to the a la carte restaurant, sad sad, I remember many events like this. For you guys who like to drink bottled water because its Mexico and who knows restaurants do not serve bottled water they told me it was purified but there was no way for to really confirm this.

Finally its incredible that with a resort like this you won't get free internet, I have gotten it from two other resorts in this area in previous trips, so I was kind of expecting it and no not here this guys want to extract as much money from you as possible before you go.

In conclusion, my experience which was somehow similar to many on tripadvisor was sad for a vacation, because I got stressed and frustrated a few times and this is something you want to avoid on vacations. Unless you don't care about the food and the attitude of the staff look for other properties, there are many more focused on overall quality. Please review the star rating of this hotel as its not accurate

Room Tip: Pool side, be aware of the bed size.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Pinuolt
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

A brilliant hotel for families with lovely well appointed bedrooms , good facilities and very well kept gardens and plenty of pool areas to suit everyone.

I travelled with my husband and two children aged 12 and 10 from the UK on 27th March for 14 nights.  On arrival we were met by friendly staff and The check in procedure was efficient and we were taken to our room, just what we needed after an 11 hour flight.

The room we had was a two bedroom suite with roof top terrace and jacuzzi . Absolutely fabulous, massive living room with very modern kitchen, a separate bedroom with bath/jacuzzi. We also had a separate bedroom for our boys which is all accessed by one main front door so security wise it is fine with children. The roof top was superb with a number of sun loungers and a roof top jacuzzi, including a toilet and BBQ area where you can have a private chef to cook BBQ for you. Overall, it is the best room we have ever stayed in which was kept very clean.

The food was of an Excellent standard of with a good choice of restaurants.  Walter is the food and beverages manager and was always Very professional whilst Milton could not have been more helpful. There is a restaurant to suit everyone from relaxed informal atmosphere at the beach grill which does wonderfully cooked steaks to the Italian all offering very good choice of menu for both adults and children. In addition we ordered room service on some occasions and this was hot and served within 30minutes, excellent!

Our special mention for the restaurant staff goes to the beach grill which had a great atmosphere overlooking the beach, what a wonderful way to have breakfast and forget about life's stresses. Macro, gabriella, pedro plus Santiago the chef were all fantastic, delivering excellent service with a smile always.

The staff- We thought that the staff were excellent, always smiling, pleasant and plenty of Hola, always dealt with our needs efficiently and thoroughly. They are an asset to Azul Fives.  Our special thanks goes to Anna for making our stay such a special one at the azul fives. It was my sons birthday while we were there and he had a cake with a Mexican happy birthday song and then off to the beach for a log fire with marshmallows and fruit to melt and not forgetting the chocolate!! Thanks again Anna, an experience we will never forget!

The pool waiters worked very hard and a special mention to Diane, Elizabeth and Santiago behind the bar, They all work very hard in intense heat and don't stop all day long.  We were also looked after very well by Enrique who was wonderful with the children and walking around offering water and lotion if needed...nice touch.

The entertainment staff including David, Luis, Jasmine were great with our two boys looking after them and joining them in games such as water polo, soccer on the beach, volleyball and table tennis, again they work very hard all day and also some evenings.  By the way the Michael Jackson evening show is very good.

We had read a variety of mixed reviews for this hotel but couldn't find any negatives ourselves, I really cannot understand it and everyone I spoke to we're enjoying their holiday. We are well travelled and have stayed in many quality 4 and 5 star hotels across Europe, Mexico and other parts of the world and this hotel is definitely one we would like to return to next year. Excellent friendly staff, lovely food, fantastic beach front location with excellent quality of rooms, a perfect family holiday.  ENJOY like we did!

Stayed March 2012
on the lake, Minnesota
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I had been eagerly anticipating our stay at this resort for so long and I knew it would be spectacular. We visited Azul Fives while in Mexico for another trip, so we knew what to expect, and were looking forward to it. Besides that, it is a Karisma property, which guarantees us that it will be great.

Our room wasn’t quite ready so we headed to Sea Olive for some lunch. Service was attentive and quick. The quality of the food was excellent. They brought out a plate of chips and guac and fresh salsa, my favorite! We slowly made our way back to the lobby. I stopped by the Concierge desk and set up our spa appointments for the week. This was quick and easy. They are so eager to assist and please and will do almost anything for you. By this time, they were looking for me to get us checked in and to our room. It was so worth the wait!

We had room 121. And I say “room” loosely. We had a 2 bedroom penthouse suite. When you open the door to 121, you enter a foyer. Inside the foyer there are 2 more doors for 121-1 and 121-2. 121-2 was a Deluxe room with 2 beds, full bath and balcony. This is where we had the kids sleep. Room 121-1 was a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, dining room, living room with sofa bed, half bath and balcony, plus a master bedroom with a full bath, Jacuzzi tub and another balcony. All together it is over 1500 square feet of space. THEN, up the stairs we had a rooftop terrace with a huge hot tub, lounge furniture, bali bed, dining table and chairs and a gas grill. If you reserve a 3 bedroom suite, you would have a third door for 121-3 inside your foyer. This is how all the rooms work at Azul Fives. I have lots of photos you can see at http://tinyurl.com/7ba7mt4. The rooms are modern, clean, spacious and very comfortable.
Wifi is for purchase. You can pay for it daily, or buy a 3 day or a 7 day plan. We bought a 7 day plan for $50. The wifi signal was strong from our room, and it was speedy enough to me to get work done on my laptop.

There are two different pool areas at Azul Fives. The Infinity Pool is out by the ocean and it the happening place to be during the day and night. All of the activities take place here. It is close to the beach grill and has its own swim up bar called Breeze. Music, games and activities keep this pool area busy. The other pool is the Villa Pool, which winds its way through the Villas. There are three different swim up bars along the Villa Pool and a few Gourmet Corners for snacks poolside. Palmas has mostly Mexican foods like burritos, nachos, and quesadillas while Lizards has pizzas, burgers, salads, tacos, etc. All were very good. Service was excellent. The pool water was very warm! I usually don’t get in the water too often, but I did here because the water temp was so nice. Many families had blow up swim floats. Two things I noticed that would be particularly helpful for families with young kids or those who need an accessible pool: 1. the pool entrance along Villa 1 has steps and a large ledge that is only about 1 foot deep. I saw many toddlers playing on this ledge while their parents were in deeper nearby and 2. The pool entrance along Villa 5 has a zero depth entry. Pool chairs were taken by about 7:30am, so if you plan to be by the pool all day and need a chair, grab one before you head to breakfast (but only if you’re going to use it!)

We ate at all the restaurants and never had a bad meal. We enjoyed Flavours for breakfast each morning. Be sure to ask for a window table so you can watch for monkeys. We saw several, even a mom with a baby. Very fun. We tried all kinds of sushi at Tsuki and many kinds of smoothies at the Health Bar. We enjoyed a delicious Chef’s Dinner at Arezzo on our last night. What a treat! They created a signature drink for us (a yummy melon concoction) followed by 6 courses. The pizza was one of the best I have ever had and the steak was equally delicious. They even made a spaghetti dish for the kids. The pastry chef created a Tasting Dessert for us so we got to try a bunch of different sweets, all very good. Then we got to meet her. It was a very special evening, topped by a private bon fire on the beach complete with snacks, drinks and our own wait staff. They had marshmallows (and sticks for roasting), fruit, and chocolate fountains for dipping. The bon fire party is something you can set up through Concierge for $15 per person. They have all kinds of family events they can put together for you. Ask about their family olympics, or cooking classes. Very fun!

The one thing that keeps us coming back to Karisma resorts is their high level of service. We’ve stayed at all three Azul resorts and all three El Dorado resorts (when we don’t have the kids with us) and have experienced a consistent quality of service every time. I like that. It’s what keeps me coming back.

2 Thank ShellisTravel
Chicago
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Our third spring break in Play del Carmen and another resort filled with beautiful people. The front desk staff could use additional personnel during the high season when checking tired travelers in. Rooms are beautiful and clean for the most part. We happen to have a first level one bedroom suite that had plumbing issues that could not be resolved. We requested maintenance and they arrived quick as lightning, but we think the bad smell was permanent. We tried to move but was told they were booked. The pull out couch for the kids was almost unsleepable so they slept right on the couches. Maintenance Staff, room service, waitresses (Areceli & Diana), bartenders, and all servers in general were exceptional. However, during spring break at an all-inclusive resort with 5+ restaurants, no one should have to tolerate an hour wait at restaurants. It was not the servers fault they were understaffed so they would have you wait to be seated in half empty restaurants. But we were always satisfied with great meals. Pool restaurants were excellent. The buffets were simple but good. Not your typical gigantic spread. The Entertainment staff (Enrique, Eduardo & Jasmin) was so kind, talented and extremely hard working. We had two teenagers that never wanted to leave. After the 7 day stay we purchased another night for the kids sake so they could continue to enjoy time with all their new friends. They had a teen night club and staff would oversee it well. We never had any concerns for safety when it came to the kids. A short walk down the beach took you to the BEST pizza place ever, the CoCo Cabana and 5th Avenue is outstanding. However!!! When we moved rooms the staff must have assumed we checked out so they helped themselves to the items in our safe. We were cleared out!! A sour ending to an excellent trip. Unfortunately their so called "investigation" failed to turn anything up (shocking). We didn't expect them to return cash, credit cards or our driver's licenses, but a heart felt apology would have been appreciated. Instead they waited 24 hours to let us know they wanted to go through our luggage incase we were the criminals, not the victims. They even spent more time defending themselves instead of possibly sharing the blame. Maybe we left the safe unlocked, but that does not say "please empty it and keep it?" Management was pitiful in their handling of this and I only hope they split the money...we would not return due to them & that issue.

Room Tip: Get the third level to have the roof top views. First floor is great for families with infants, str...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!