“Had a wonderful time - no need to worry about the bad reviews!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #54 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Traverse City, MI
“Had a wonderful time - no need to worry about the bad reviews!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Like so many on the forum, I was hesitant to go to Azul Fives based on the negative reviews. As much as I try not to sweat the small stuff, sometimes too many small things end up tainting the vacation so I was worried. We ended up loving Azul Fives and had an excellent time there. The small issues we had were either immediately resolved or were so minor as to not affect our vacation. I will address our minor issues just so other travelers will know before they go.

We traveled with a group of 4 families with children ranging in ages from 12-18. We were all upgraded to rooms with a rooftop terrace. Our friends had rooms right near each other in buildings 5 and 6 and we were in building 2. Although we would have liked to be closer to our friends, we didn't ask to move and found our location to be acceptable. The rooms are very spacious with two bathrooms (and one on the roof if you have a terrace), a huge living area and two balconies. We have never had an all inclusive room of that size. We have a boy and a girl which makes having one king bed and one pull out sofa a bit of a challenge but our daughter ended up sleeping with us and our son slept on the sofa (when he wasn't sleeping outside on one of the terraces with the other teen boys in our group). The boys loved the terraces and I would highly recommend asking for one (or emailing the request ahead of time which someone in our group did). On the first evening, we had virtually no water pressure or warm water. We also had several ants in our room around the entryway and kitchen area. We wrote a note to housekeeping about the ants and called about the warm water/water pressure and both were resolved by the next day. There never was enough water pressure to fill the jacuzzi tub that was in the room which may have been an issue had we had small children who needed a bath. We prefer showers so it wasn't an issue. Same goes for the tub on the rooftop - not a lot of water pressure and just cold water. We tried to fill the tub and leave the water to sit and warm in the sun but the housekeeper drained it when she cleaned the terrace which to us was no big deal. We were just happy the housekeeper even took the time to clean the bathroom on the roof. Our fridge was never really cold which we called about to no avail. We got around this by putting our beverages in the freezer for a short time. Again, no big deal to us. The fridge was stocked daily with extra beverages - we tipped both the beverage person and housekeeping person on a daily basis. One day, the fridge wasn't stocked and we made a quick phone call and someone was there within minutes. We used room service two times and the food was delivered within 15-20 minutes. The food was very warm and of good quality. The little shoestring fries at the restaurants and from room service were our favorite. The resort could not have been cleaner and the employees nicer. Our kids hit it off with the entertainment staff and loved the water polo, water aerobics, and the nightly shows. The "chair game" wasn't an issue until the last few days when the resort was full. On those days, we did save some chairs and always managed to find enough. If there were no chairs available, we just sat on the side of the pool. We loved the main pool and the pool by Lizards. We especially loved not having towel cards and were always able to find a fresh, clean towel when we needed one. The towel hut even has sunscreen for the guests' use. The restaurants were all good - our daughter loved Flavours for breakfast, most of us loved the beach grill for lunch, and we all enjoyed our dinner selections. Sea Olive has a really good lunch but it does take awhile - if you want to maximize time in the sun, I recommend the buffet. The same goes with dinner, if time is of the essence then I recommend Flavours for dinner as it is a buffet or what they refer to as a "food display." The desserts/sweets at Azul Fives were better than most of the other all inclusives we have been to. The chocolate pastries at breakfast were a huge hit with our group as was the chocolate ice cream at the beach grill. We visited the smoothy bar a few times and it was good every time. We called for bell service upon our departure but they never came. My husband and I started to the lobby on our own and were quickly spotted by someone and picked up and taken to the lobby. Again, just a minor inconvenience that was quickly rectified. There are babies and kids everywhere and they were extremely well behaved. A few of the pools said they were Adult Only but there were kids at all of the pools which was fine with us since we had kids and since it spread everyone out a little more. Our group made a few suggestions while there - we wish there was bottled water available throughout the resort; we wish there was a few other bars to meet up at during the evening other than the Zky bar; we also wish the kids under 18 got bracelets other than cards for convenience and to highlight the fact that they are underaged; we also wish there were no outside doors on the pods of rooms or at least a doorbell. We saw several people who were locked out of their room and knocking on the outside door but the knocks can't be heard in the room. Overall, we loved the resort. The pools, the service, the cleanliness, and the large rooms were all a hit with us. We have never been this relaxed at an all inclusive and our kids have never felt as comfortable as they did at Azul Fives. We would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: As for a rooftop terrace - buildings 5-9 are all in good locations.
6 Thank MichiganVacationer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,687)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed at the Fives during March for two weeks with my friend and their family during my Spring Break and I had a blast. I definitely loved the service here. Everyone was extremely nice and happy all the time :D If you happen to stay here, I would recommend you to go to the health bar. Rodrigo, who works there, makes the best smoothies, milkshakes, and healthy drinks ever. You should definitely try the drink named Chic. Rodrigo is such a friendly man and has such good customer service :) You HAVE to stop by if you are staying at this resort. I would without a doubt stay there again :)

-florence :D

1 Thank Florence F
Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed at the Azul Fives March 12-19, and were more than happy with our experience. I have to admit that after reading some of the reviews I too had a moment of panic that we should change our plans, but in the end was very happy that we did not. We were a family of four travelling with our 9-year old and 14-year old sons. Again, a lot of the reviews and information seemed to focus on catering to younger children and families, so I was also a little concerned about there being enough to keep our 14-year old busy, but this too was not an issue.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the positive information I have read, from check-in to check-out, our experience was fantastic. The staff was friendly, enthusiastic and always helpful. The activities coordinators at and around the pool were engaging and really took the time to interact with the guests making my older son feel very comfortable joining in activities such as volleyball and water polo. They even managed to get my husband to play too. My youngest took a Spanish lesson and for the rest of the trip, every time he saw the woman who was our instructor she always greeted him by name and spoke Spanish with him.

Overall the resort was very nice and extremely well maintained. We liked the smaller size, especially with the kids. It felt much more comfortable and personable than the larger options. Our one-bedroom suite was a great size for us. The room was cleaned every day and the refrigerator was always restocked with beverages. We never had an issue with towels, hot water, bad smelling linens or anything that I have read. We did have an issue with our lock on the door the second morning, and it was fixed immediately.

We enjoyed the restaurants and the food. We tried all of the options except the Japanese restaurant. The Beach restaurant serves dinner, and was one of our favorites. We never had an issue getting into any of the restaurants, service was prompt and courteous and we received our food in a timely manner. At the Italian restaurant, my dish ended up having a pesto sauce on it, to which I am allergic, and when our server found out promptly took my dish and had a new one prepared. The kids were satisfied with their choices. Flavours was their favorite for breakfast. I know my husband would have liked more authentic Mexican fare and the 'gourmet-style' servings were sometimes too small for his taste, but that is a personal opinion. We did order room service one evening and received our food well before the 30 minutes that was indicated.

With the great resort, good mix of activities, terrific staff and fantastic weather, we could not have had a more wonderful time, and as a previous reviewer said anything minor really is nothing to complain about. Our only real complaint was leaving our swinging bed and chairs on the beach for another family to take our spots when we had to leave to come home - albeit with our great memories that we will cherish for a long time to come.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank SuzS1204
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I agree with j n from Vancouver! We were a party of 12 (6 adults and 6 kids). From reading the reviews before we left I was worried this place was going to be a disaster but I was happily mistaken.

From the moment we arrived the service was wonderful. We were also given the blue champagne which we happened to like! Check in was a breeze and we were all then whisked off by stretch golf cart to our rooms. I requested our 3 rooms be close to each other and near to the beach. Both of these requests were filled. All 3 families were very happy with their rooms. Yes, there were a few minor problems but nothing major and certainly nothing I would feel so strongly about I would write in a review.

The rooms were huge! Plenty of space to move around, great value compared to other all-inclusive resorts where you get about 500 sq ft and only 2 beds. The suite was about 1100 sq ft. Ours was on the ground floor opposite the pool and had lounge chairs outside on our patio which was great. We were in Villa 5 which is closest to the beach and kids club, though furthest (but not far at all) from Flavours buffet, and reception. Some people had complained about the beds being hard. We had no problems at all and found them very comfortable. We also had cutlery and plates etc. in our kitchen.

The staff were amazing everywhere. Very helpful, respectful and friendly.

Kids club was great. Plenty of activities, both inside and out. The staff would actually come to the pool looking for kids to go and play! The staff there clearly enjoy kids and have a blast.

The restaurants were really nice. Unlike most all-inclusives you're able to go "a la carte" as much as you like, and apart from the Italian restaurant, you don't need to make a reservation. We liked the Japanese restaurant so much we went there twice in a row. However, when it gets busy the service does become a little slower. The staff are running around trying to serve everybody but there just isn't enough of them. We had no problems getting into the restaurants, even though we were a group of 12. There were no waits for hours as some people have mentioned. The swim up bar/restaurants - Lizards and Palmas - are great. Such great food and quick and easy.

The beach was definitely rocky but if you followed a path through it you could get out to swim. Alternatively about a 2 min walk away there was a wonderfully sandy area where you can swim or wave jump. The infinity pool was wonderful. Yes, it was a little chilly but that was a welcome relief as the weather was very warm.

Check out was fine. We had to be out by 12pm and our bus was picking us up at 6pm. The front desk were very helpful and booked us into a "courtesy room" so that we could shower before leaving. We were wondering if we'd be able to keep our cards which allow you to use the facilities at the hotel after check out (fully expecting them to say no) and they said yes! So we were able to enjoy most of the day as usual, then hop into our courtesy suite to shower and get ready for our journey home. Great service.

Overall, this resort is wonderful. It is very family oriented so if you're a bit of a party animal, this is not the place for you. For us, however, it was perfect. The only reason I give it a 4 star and not a 5 is because of the minor inconveniences we encountered. I think if there were more staff to accommodate the guests a bit better it would help enormously.

Room Tip: Ground floor opposite a pool. Villa 5 is closest to the beach.
4 Thank Sarah P
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Azul for a friend's wedding in March. Having stayed at several all inclusive resorts, and being accustomed to "4-5 Star" resorts, this one was a disappointment from the get-go. The grounds are underwhelming upon entrance, and the lobby is a joke. You have to drive far down a gravel road to get to the property, and it is a $15 cab ride from the hotel to downtown Playa. The lobby is tiny and smells like a tropical Glade air freshener exploded. Upon check in, we were handed a glass of Blue champagne that tasted like poison. We requested (months in advance) a King suite, and were given a room with no view and 2 DOUBLE beds. The sheets were disgustingly musty smelling, to the point where we had trouble even sleeping on them. Imagine if you put your sheets in the washer and left them there for 3 weeks and then put them on your bed.. that's what it was like.. The lighting in the bathroom was so dark I had to put my make up on outside on our balcony. One of the sinks in our bathroom was clogged the entire time we were there and the overhead fan made a racket when turned on. Each room there is in a "pod" with an outside door entrance and a few times (one being at around 6am) there was someone pounding on the door to get in for no less than 20 minutes. It was absolutely ridiculous. The food at the resort was less than appealing, service was beyond slow. The servers working there were clearly not interested in being friendly or speedy, either that or they were very severly understaffed. The food in the lunch buffet was soggy, undercooked and all around unappealing. The pool area was dominated by kids running around and playing dodgeball right in the middle of the pool. May be nice for families with children, but for us, not so much.. The beach area was OK, lots of coral in the water so we were unable to do much swimming.

Overall, I would rate this hotel a 2-3 star at best. Incredibly overpriced for what you get. If you have moderate to high standards when it comes to vacations, I would NEVER recommend staying at Azul. Very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mplstravelbug81
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

My family and I recently returned from a 10 day holiday at the amazing Azul Fives, and we all can honestly agree that this is one of the BEST family vacations we have ever been on.

First of all, I would like to address the WHINERS. Prior to going on this vacation I read many reviews on this hotel and noticed that there are quite a few fairly negative ones. In my opinion many of these people, who often claim to be "experienced travellers", need to get off their high horse and step back into reality. When you are traveling, things go wrong sometimes, people make mistakes. Its part of it, and if you can't handle it and go with the flow, then your probably better off staying at home! I saw a complaint that was made about the drive on the road going into the resort and how it wasn't exactly visually attractive. It disappoints me to hear things such as this because ultimately, Mexico is not one big all inclusive resort. Its very different from the U.S. and Canada, and no, not all areas are going to look as beautiful as the five star resorts you are staying in. If something like that is going to bother you, then you need to get your priorities straight. I noticed on the road into the resort that there were many housing complexes, I’m not sure what is wrong with that, people need places to live? In my opinion I find it very interesting to see things like that, you get a chance to catch a brief glimpse of what the real Mexico is like - not just the tourist side of it. Ultimately, when you are in Mexico, you are in a foreign country, and people do things differently, have different expectations and ideas of how things work and you NEED to be able to keep that in mind otherwise you will be disappointed every single time.

My family and I have been to Mexico quite a few times, mainly to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. In addition to Mexico we have also been to various destinations all over the Caribbean, the U.S., Europe and also a number of cruises. We all agreed that the service at the Azul Fives is quite possibly the best we have ever received while on vacation. I honestly don't know how anyone could say anything bad about the staff here. They are the most amazing, friendly, welcoming and hard working staff I have ever come across in my life and we were all blown away. There are two staff members we met that really made our trip special and are worth mentioning. The first would be Emilio, the bartender at the Palamas swim up bar. He was so kind and friendly and knew us all by name. His drinks were our favorite and he makes a fantastic mojito! Or margarita...or anything for that matter! He would bring us drinks without us even having to ask and we would often find ourselves spending our evenings just sitting and having a conversation with him. Fermin, a waiter at the Beach Grill restaurant was another amazing staff member. He made our dinners at this restaurant (YES it is open for dinner, many people think its not which is a shame) so enjoyable and entertaining and we loved talking to him and seeing his smiling face each time we went there. On our last night he even brought us a special dessert - deep fried ice cream! It was delicious. These two men in addition to all the other hardworking staff really went above and beyond our expectations and made our trip amazing. Please remember, the staff are not your slaves. It saddened me to see that this was often how hotel guests treated them. These people work SO hard and do not deserve to be treated with anything less than the utmost respect. If you're not going to tip them, then please...at least give them a polite "thank you"..

Our room was very clean, spacious and modern looking with very comfortable beds. Also, there were no bugs to be found, which was great because my family does not do well with bugs. We fit five people in a one bedroom suite (one bedrooms are max. 4 people) and we still had more than enough room! We knew to ask ahead of time for certain things, such as a room on the ground floor facing the pool, which we did get. We were so glad to have a room like this and to be able to walk right out to the pool and bar. Another thing we loved was that most of the rooms are only about a 3 minute walk from the main pool/beach area, something that doesn't happen very often in large, extravagant all inclusive resorts. The shower in our room was great, large and lots of room, and there were two washrooms, which was perfect for us.

The restaurants and food at the Azul Fives would definitely be above average for an all-inclusive resort. Not only was the presentation of the food impressive, the taste was as well. The Italian restaurant was AMAZING and I would highly recommend it. All the other restaurants are delicious as well. The Beach Grill is good for lunch or a snack while at the beach, or for dinner, it was definitely our favorite spot. The Flavours buffet is great for breakfast and has a wide variety of different types of foods for both breakfast and dinner. The swim up bars have delicious "snack" foods, such as quesadillas and fresh salsa and guacamole. The room service is another great thing we experienced, we ordered room service almost every day and it was delicious every time. All in all, I think my family and I ate better than we ever have on any cruise we have been on (and if you've been on a cruise, you know what that is like). We never got bored of the food and there was always something for each of us to enjoy.

The beach is very nice, it was definitely my favourite spot to relax. Yes, it is rocky along the shore and can be a bit tricky to swim in if its rough, however all you need to do is get over the rocky part (the water is shallow where the rocks are so if it isn't extremely rough then almost anyone can do it) to get to clear water and sand which is great for swimming. The staff at the beach really make it great, they're always very friendly and going around trying to get people involved in activities, which I loved (beach volleyball, water aerobics etc). Also, the bar staff are very good and are always making sure you have a drink!

Some other things I’d like to mention about traveling to this area; We rented a car while we were here for about two days and I would highly recommend doing that as it really allowed us to get out and see a lot of things. We felt completely safe driving around and the roads were fairly clear of traffic and simple to navigate. We drove to Tulum one day to see the Mayan ruins, where we also booked a snorkeling tour to go on afterwards. We drove from the ruins to Santa Fe beach for our snorkeling tour, and this was one of the most amazing beaches we have ever been to. On the second day we had the car we drove to the Maroma Beach Club and Marina, which was 10$ per person to get in to, but TOTALLY worth it. The beach was beautiful and great for swimming. Also another must is going into Playa del Carmen for a day and/or night and going to 5th street, which is mainly a tourist area so its very safe, but its a really neat place to see and it has great shopping and restaurants!

This resort is a very kid friendly, family orientated place. If you are looking for a romantic getaway and you don’t enjoy having children around, I would not recommend it. Also, it generally seems to be free of crazy partiers (we were there during spring break), so there is no need to worry about being in party central with your family. However if you happen to be the "spring breaker" type and you're looking for a party, this resort may not be for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near a pool on the ground floor if you can!
16 Thank j n
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Just returned last week from a great R & R vacation at Azul Fives (March 12 to March 19) This is a personal reflection of our 7 days there....

We are seasoned travellers to many all-inclusives,all our children are grown and away, and we like a small sized resort in an upscale environment......we were very pleased with Azul Fives as we feel it met most of our wishes. The size of this resort allows you to connect with staff on a more personal level as you see the same people generally each day - you were always greeted with "Hola Mrs.........How are you today?"

As well as meeting several wonderful families throughout the week at Azul Fives, we felt that the staff was generally friendly,hard working,proud of their jobs, efficient and welcoming......from the servers in the restaurants,beach servers, animation staff, bellboys to housekeeping ~ personal shoutouts to Eduardo, our gracious and attentive bellboy, the lovely and talented Jazmin (new to the animation staff and a great addition), Elizabeth, Diana and Araceli (our special beach servers who took such good care of us), Jose (Pepe) and the forever smiling and speedy waiter Ezekiel from Tsuki (they made eating there a truly enjoyable and fun experience)....Marco at the Front Desk made an unfortunate situation for us into a positive and for that we are forever grateful.

We were in a basic Deluxe room on the top floor of Villa 14 facing Lizards pool area. The room was more than spacious for 2 people.....2 very comfortable double beds (can push them together...), tons of storage, and "always" cleaned to perfection. The bathroom area is separated by a bank of closets and drawers - large walk-in rain shower - want one!!!!! (no tub), double square sinks....very nicely appointed and calming. Definitely more wall hooks are needed in this area though as there is only one place to hang a towel....We had a good sized balcony with 2 woven chairs and small table.

We enjoyed delicious meals - maybe some we liked more than others but that is just a personal preference. The presentations were unique and served with a smile in a timely manner. We waited one time in the Zky Bar for 10 minutes to get a table at Tsuki but never a wait for any others for the entire week. We always went around 7 or 7:30ish. Our favourite, we would have to say, was Sea Olive both for lunch (Salmon and Caesar Salad) by the pool and dinner as well. The seafood was excellent and the filet mignon, one of the best I've ever had. Having incredibly fresh salsa and guacamole at every meal never got tiring.Being a dessert fan I could never get enough of the creme brulee or the yummy coconut ice cream !!! The Japanese Tsuki, was simply a treat - especially the sea scallop and fresh salmon tartare, braised duck with wasabi, plum and orange sauce and banana spring rolls for dessert ~ makes my mouth water ! We also liked Arezzo, a true dining experience in an upscale setting with a sky high view. We didn't go to Flavors, the buffet, as it was so far away from the beach at the entrance to the resort and we just had so many dishes to try in the a la cartes with so little time....:) As we are strictly beach people, we loved the fact that the beach grill was open for breakfast at 7:00 a.m. as well as for a quick lunch and dinner.

We spent all day, everyday on the beach. It was the first resort in a long time where plenty of loungers were available even at 9 a.m. or later .....I had done my homework prior to going to Azul Fives I felt, but didn't really see any palapas for shade - so packed a collapsible beach umbrella just in case. Turns out that we could find our own spot and the beach staff would bring a patio umbrella to us and set it up if we wanted.......loved that idea !

Having said that, upon reflection, I think this was the only area of disappointment for us ~ the beach. I was well informed about the coral situation in front of the resort and knew what to expect - I loved exploring in all the tide pools. What a shame though that this beautifully appointed resort was developed on such a narrow strip of land, perpendicular to the beach and water. I was prepared for the fact that all villas were away from the beach with no sea views (although having the restaurants right at the beach was a bonus) BUT this also obviously means a very narrow beach as well. There are apparently rules that all chairs have to be back from the waters edge a fair distance as this is a public right of way. This makes for a rather congested resort beach which also has 6-8 beach beds, massage huts and a volleyball area....

Because of the people, the accomodations and the consistently delicious food, we would happily return to Azul Fives in the near future "but" only if they promise to get rid of those annoying photo ID cards that you must produce for every service - besides having to always remember to have it with you, it slows down service as your number and name are recorded each time. I know....its a vacation but we'd gladly wear a neon bracelet in place of or how about a beaded anklet??? lol

High Fives ~ keep up the terrific service !!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meeran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,585 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#45 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Viceroy Riviera Maya
Viceroy Riviera Maya
#13 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!