“enough with the complaining! this place was great.”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #57 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“enough with the complaining! this place was great.”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My family and I recently returned from a 10 day holiday at the amazing Azul Fives, and we all can honestly agree that this is one of the BEST family vacations we have ever been on.

First of all, I would like to address the WHINERS. Prior to going on this vacation I read many reviews on this hotel and noticed that there are quite a few fairly negative ones. In my opinion many of these people, who often claim to be "experienced travellers", need to get off their high horse and step back into reality. When you are traveling, things go wrong sometimes, people make mistakes. Its part of it, and if you can't handle it and go with the flow, then your probably better off staying at home! I saw a complaint that was made about the drive on the road going into the resort and how it wasn't exactly visually attractive. It disappoints me to hear things such as this because ultimately, Mexico is not one big all inclusive resort. Its very different from the U.S. and Canada, and no, not all areas are going to look as beautiful as the five star resorts you are staying in. If something like that is going to bother you, then you need to get your priorities straight. I noticed on the road into the resort that there were many housing complexes, I’m not sure what is wrong with that, people need places to live? In my opinion I find it very interesting to see things like that, you get a chance to catch a brief glimpse of what the real Mexico is like - not just the tourist side of it. Ultimately, when you are in Mexico, you are in a foreign country, and people do things differently, have different expectations and ideas of how things work and you NEED to be able to keep that in mind otherwise you will be disappointed every single time.

My family and I have been to Mexico quite a few times, mainly to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. In addition to Mexico we have also been to various destinations all over the Caribbean, the U.S., Europe and also a number of cruises. We all agreed that the service at the Azul Fives is quite possibly the best we have ever received while on vacation. I honestly don't know how anyone could say anything bad about the staff here. They are the most amazing, friendly, welcoming and hard working staff I have ever come across in my life and we were all blown away. There are two staff members we met that really made our trip special and are worth mentioning. The first would be Emilio, the bartender at the Palamas swim up bar. He was so kind and friendly and knew us all by name. His drinks were our favorite and he makes a fantastic mojito! Or margarita...or anything for that matter! He would bring us drinks without us even having to ask and we would often find ourselves spending our evenings just sitting and having a conversation with him. Fermin, a waiter at the Beach Grill restaurant was another amazing staff member. He made our dinners at this restaurant (YES it is open for dinner, many people think its not which is a shame) so enjoyable and entertaining and we loved talking to him and seeing his smiling face each time we went there. On our last night he even brought us a special dessert - deep fried ice cream! It was delicious. These two men in addition to all the other hardworking staff really went above and beyond our expectations and made our trip amazing. Please remember, the staff are not your slaves. It saddened me to see that this was often how hotel guests treated them. These people work SO hard and do not deserve to be treated with anything less than the utmost respect. If you're not going to tip them, then please...at least give them a polite "thank you"..

Our room was very clean, spacious and modern looking with very comfortable beds. Also, there were no bugs to be found, which was great because my family does not do well with bugs. We fit five people in a one bedroom suite (one bedrooms are max. 4 people) and we still had more than enough room! We knew to ask ahead of time for certain things, such as a room on the ground floor facing the pool, which we did get. We were so glad to have a room like this and to be able to walk right out to the pool and bar. Another thing we loved was that most of the rooms are only about a 3 minute walk from the main pool/beach area, something that doesn't happen very often in large, extravagant all inclusive resorts. The shower in our room was great, large and lots of room, and there were two washrooms, which was perfect for us.

The restaurants and food at the Azul Fives would definitely be above average for an all-inclusive resort. Not only was the presentation of the food impressive, the taste was as well. The Italian restaurant was AMAZING and I would highly recommend it. All the other restaurants are delicious as well. The Beach Grill is good for lunch or a snack while at the beach, or for dinner, it was definitely our favorite spot. The Flavours buffet is great for breakfast and has a wide variety of different types of foods for both breakfast and dinner. The swim up bars have delicious "snack" foods, such as quesadillas and fresh salsa and guacamole. The room service is another great thing we experienced, we ordered room service almost every day and it was delicious every time. All in all, I think my family and I ate better than we ever have on any cruise we have been on (and if you've been on a cruise, you know what that is like). We never got bored of the food and there was always something for each of us to enjoy.

The beach is very nice, it was definitely my favourite spot to relax. Yes, it is rocky along the shore and can be a bit tricky to swim in if its rough, however all you need to do is get over the rocky part (the water is shallow where the rocks are so if it isn't extremely rough then almost anyone can do it) to get to clear water and sand which is great for swimming. The staff at the beach really make it great, they're always very friendly and going around trying to get people involved in activities, which I loved (beach volleyball, water aerobics etc). Also, the bar staff are very good and are always making sure you have a drink!

Some other things I’d like to mention about traveling to this area; We rented a car while we were here for about two days and I would highly recommend doing that as it really allowed us to get out and see a lot of things. We felt completely safe driving around and the roads were fairly clear of traffic and simple to navigate. We drove to Tulum one day to see the Mayan ruins, where we also booked a snorkeling tour to go on afterwards. We drove from the ruins to Santa Fe beach for our snorkeling tour, and this was one of the most amazing beaches we have ever been to. On the second day we had the car we drove to the Maroma Beach Club and Marina, which was 10$ per person to get in to, but TOTALLY worth it. The beach was beautiful and great for swimming. Also another must is going into Playa del Carmen for a day and/or night and going to 5th street, which is mainly a tourist area so its very safe, but its a really neat place to see and it has great shopping and restaurants!

This resort is a very kid friendly, family orientated place. If you are looking for a romantic getaway and you don’t enjoy having children around, I would not recommend it. Also, it generally seems to be free of crazy partiers (we were there during spring break), so there is no need to worry about being in party central with your family. However if you happen to be the "spring breaker" type and you're looking for a party, this resort may not be for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near a pool on the ground floor if you can!
16 Thank j n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,771)
  • Polish first
Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Just returned last week from a great R & R vacation at Azul Fives (March 12 to March 19) This is a personal reflection of our 7 days there....

We are seasoned travellers to many all-inclusives,all our children are grown and away, and we like a small sized resort in an upscale environment......we were very pleased with Azul Fives as we feel it met most of our wishes. The size of this resort allows you to connect with staff on a more personal level as you see the same people generally each day - you were always greeted with "Hola Mrs.........How are you today?"

As well as meeting several wonderful families throughout the week at Azul Fives, we felt that the staff was generally friendly,hard working,proud of their jobs, efficient and welcoming......from the servers in the restaurants,beach servers, animation staff, bellboys to housekeeping ~ personal shoutouts to Eduardo, our gracious and attentive bellboy, the lovely and talented Jazmin (new to the animation staff and a great addition), Elizabeth, Diana and Araceli (our special beach servers who took such good care of us), Jose (Pepe) and the forever smiling and speedy waiter Ezekiel from Tsuki (they made eating there a truly enjoyable and fun experience)....Marco at the Front Desk made an unfortunate situation for us into a positive and for that we are forever grateful.

We were in a basic Deluxe room on the top floor of Villa 14 facing Lizards pool area. The room was more than spacious for 2 people.....2 very comfortable double beds (can push them together...), tons of storage, and "always" cleaned to perfection. The bathroom area is separated by a bank of closets and drawers - large walk-in rain shower - want one!!!!! (no tub), double square sinks....very nicely appointed and calming. Definitely more wall hooks are needed in this area though as there is only one place to hang a towel....We had a good sized balcony with 2 woven chairs and small table.

We enjoyed delicious meals - maybe some we liked more than others but that is just a personal preference. The presentations were unique and served with a smile in a timely manner. We waited one time in the Zky Bar for 10 minutes to get a table at Tsuki but never a wait for any others for the entire week. We always went around 7 or 7:30ish. Our favourite, we would have to say, was Sea Olive both for lunch (Salmon and Caesar Salad) by the pool and dinner as well. The seafood was excellent and the filet mignon, one of the best I've ever had. Having incredibly fresh salsa and guacamole at every meal never got tiring.Being a dessert fan I could never get enough of the creme brulee or the yummy coconut ice cream !!! The Japanese Tsuki, was simply a treat - especially the sea scallop and fresh salmon tartare, braised duck with wasabi, plum and orange sauce and banana spring rolls for dessert ~ makes my mouth water ! We also liked Arezzo, a true dining experience in an upscale setting with a sky high view. We didn't go to Flavors, the buffet, as it was so far away from the beach at the entrance to the resort and we just had so many dishes to try in the a la cartes with so little time....:) As we are strictly beach people, we loved the fact that the beach grill was open for breakfast at 7:00 a.m. as well as for a quick lunch and dinner.

We spent all day, everyday on the beach. It was the first resort in a long time where plenty of loungers were available even at 9 a.m. or later .....I had done my homework prior to going to Azul Fives I felt, but didn't really see any palapas for shade - so packed a collapsible beach umbrella just in case. Turns out that we could find our own spot and the beach staff would bring a patio umbrella to us and set it up if we wanted.......loved that idea !

Having said that, upon reflection, I think this was the only area of disappointment for us ~ the beach. I was well informed about the coral situation in front of the resort and knew what to expect - I loved exploring in all the tide pools. What a shame though that this beautifully appointed resort was developed on such a narrow strip of land, perpendicular to the beach and water. I was prepared for the fact that all villas were away from the beach with no sea views (although having the restaurants right at the beach was a bonus) BUT this also obviously means a very narrow beach as well. There are apparently rules that all chairs have to be back from the waters edge a fair distance as this is a public right of way. This makes for a rather congested resort beach which also has 6-8 beach beds, massage huts and a volleyball area....

Because of the people, the accomodations and the consistently delicious food, we would happily return to Azul Fives in the near future "but" only if they promise to get rid of those annoying photo ID cards that you must produce for every service - besides having to always remember to have it with you, it slows down service as your number and name are recorded each time. I know....its a vacation but we'd gladly wear a neon bracelet in place of or how about a beaded anklet??? lol

High Fives ~ keep up the terrific service !!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meeran
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I travelled with a friend and was impressed from the first moment to the last. The staff at the reception desk were very helpful, they charged our ipad every night for us.
The waiters in all the restaurants were so knowledgeable about the menu. The food and the presentation was lovely. The buffets were also very varied and tasty.the little restaurants beside the swim up bars were also very good
The rooms were spacious and very clean, the lock on the patio door didn't work and someone arrived to fix it within 10 minutes of my phone call.
The health bar was delish!!!
Th grounds immaculate, all the pools were well maintained and we could always find chairs no matter what time it was... and the washroom were the cleanest I have ever seen!

Room Tip: we had a ground floor room, but they do have elevators for the upper floors. I would request a pool...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank m-mack1708
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This resort does not deserve a 5 star rating. False advertising "ALL SUITES RESORT" The rooms were horrible.. small with a "lovely view" of a construction wall and service road after the first room had no air conditioning. Very poor lighting in the rooms and no place to hang anything, but yet they want you to use your towels more than once!! Room service is offered but the poor fellas have no place to set up your meal!
The drive into the resort from the main road was such a disappointment. Usually the resorts have georgeous grounds as you approach and are most welcoming..this did not. Paid extra for private transportation to the resort from the airport and I understand why...This resort would not want a buss full of people viewing their unwelcoming entrance. Front desk lobby would compare to a Super 8... small and not very inviting. We are accustomed to beautiful open lobbies with staff greeting you on your arrival. Very dissapointed in the entire check in process..also the first place that copied our passports...What's up with that????
Food in the main restaurants was very good..slow service but we enjoyed that since we were with friends. Difficult for families with small children as many were crying or fell asleep with the slow service.
Pools were great though not much of a beach.. water too rocky in front of the hotel but a short walk and you can swim and snorkle.
All in all we made it a great vacation lots of sun and relaxation. Would never go back to the Azul Fives as we have been to so many All Inclusive properties (this being our 12th) with 4 or 4.5 star rating that far exceeded what was offered at this 5 star rated facility. This was our most expensive vacation property and we rate it near the bottom. I guess I will never understand how these properties earn their ratings but I will say the "Dreams" , " Now " and "Iberostar" properties by far exceed the Azul with better value and superior service. I am positive we will return to Mexico but this experience at the Azul Fives have given us serious doubts as to where we want to spend our hard earned vacation dollars...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ToesintheWaterAITS
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Azul Fives was an excellent resort, especially for families with smaller children. We stayed from March 14-20th, and wished we booked for longer. We absolutely loved it! We have 2 boys 7 and 9, and they loved it. We met a lot of really nice people, and the service was just excellent probably the most attentive, hard working and friendly staff of any resort we've stayed at and we have been to many many nice 5* resorts. I can't understand negative reviews, honestly people need to relax a bit and take a chill pill. I want to put your mind at ease this is a really nice place especially for families with young children to stay. Would I stay here if it was a couple only trip? Maybe not as there are a lot of kids but that is what Azul is all about and they focus on. If looking for adult only consider Karisma's El Dorado resorts perhaps.

Room

Our room was excellent. It was a 1 Bedroom Suite in Villa 14, ground floor. A Swim up pool varnish right across from the outdoor patio. Room is awesome, tons of room, definitely go for a suite and request to face the pool.

Food was definitely overall above average with other comparable resorts. We loved Tsuki - Japanese and Sea Olive. Excellent waiters and food was very good. They both have a kids menu which parents with picky eaters like us really appreciate! We went 2 times to each. Arezzo was pretty good also, but they didn't have a kids menu there. It may have been what we ordered, it was good but we actually preferred the others. Many others we spoke to loved it though. Flavors the buffet was good, we mainly went there for breakfast which was very good! The Beach Grill had the best view of the beach and water, had burgers, fries, pizza, was good. Went to the Lizard Outdoor cafe for lunch or afternoon snacks. It was good too, tacos and nachos, gourmet burgers were tasty. Always could find something good to eat, no one got sick at all and my wife is a pretty picky eater. We got room service once for breakfast, it was OK, make sure to order lots as the portions are pretty small so I wish I had ordered more.

Pools

Really nice pools running throughout, with a few swim up bars open around noon to 5 or 6pm. We had one right behind our room it was great! The temperature is a little cool but not too much. It is Mexico and it is very hot so we didn't find this a problem at all, as I read in some reviews. Infinity Pool close to beach is nice, again a little cool but not too much, it was welcome with the heat. A little busy, music, animation crew around but was a lot of fun if you like this. If you want quieter go back to the winding pools around the rooms.

Service, Staff

We found the staff and service to be excellent! Everyone truly works very hard and tries their best to exceed hour expectations. There were so many individuals I could mention but Manuel at The Rainbow Bar is an excellent bartender and really took care of us all week! Thanks Manuel, you're awesome! Also Erika at Azulitos the Kids Club, thanks so much. You were so friendly and our boys had a great time with you and your great staff! Really, we were very impressed with the high service level at Azul Fives. The landscaping and grounds staff were always working hard grooming and making things look so beautiful.

Grounds

The landscaping and grounds were impeccable. Beautiful!

Beach

The sand is nice and soft. The resort was full when we were there and we didn't find it hard finding chairs. It is pretty rocky in front of the resort, but if you walk around 5 minutes to the north (or to left) there is a nice swimming area there in front of the Princess resort. It would be nice if it was a little easier if less rocks and easier to swim right in front, but wasn't a major issue for us. Lots of beach to walk. Still enjoyed sitting on the beach relaxing, was a beautiful view. Some did go in with water shoes to enter through initial more rocky area into the water, we may look at purchasing for a future visit.

Animation Staff

Were really friendly, and not as pushy and in your face as much as many resorts we've been too. They have lots of activities if you are interested, but if not they don't bother you which is nice.

Kids Club

It was the best most organized kids club we've seen, which is important and made our trip so much more enjoyable. They have several staff, and had several kids attending when we were there. They had a baby, toddler room. Most kids we saw were around similar age to ours, between maybe 5 and 9. I was really impressed with the number of hours they were open everyday, opening at 9 to 5pm; then again between 7 and 9pm for movie and disco nights for the kids which was really surprising and excellent. We went to dinner one night while the kids were at disco night for an hour. The kids loved it and it was a nice little break also for us! Nice facility, nice small pool outside it.

Overall

Again, we loved Azul Fives. We would like to get a big family trip going for next year here. It is great for families, and don't be turned off by some of the negative reviews, seriously. You have to put things into perspective, it may not be the Ritz Carlton but it is a very nice what I would rate a 5* resort for Mexico and other comparable locales for beach getaways in places like Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba. We've been to many 5* resorts and it is one of the better ones we've stayed at. Very good value also and unique with the suites which are so nice versus standard hotel rooms for families. We definitely want to return to Azul Fives next year!!!

Room Tip: Go for a suite facing the pool. Ground floor is excellent especially for families with smaller kids...
4 Thank jgrimold
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I just returned from a stay at Azul 5 with my family feeling quite rejuvenated, relaxed and oh so sad to have left such a beautiful resort. Firstly, before even stepping foot onto a plane I was cautioned by friends and acquaintances about traveling to Mexico because of all the negative media coverage the country has received lately. Being a seasoned traveler, I've always taken the position to make my own common sense judgement before travailing to any destination, the same thought process goes for reading any travelers reviews of resorts. Before booking our trip back in January, I did my research and kept in mind some of the negative reviews but was happy to see most of the reviews of Azul 5 quite positive - a good sign since I'd be there with my two kids (12 and 9) for a few days on my own before my husband joined us. I only have good things to say about our experience at this resort. From the moment we were greeted at the front door with a welcome glass of "azul" bubbly, chocolate milk for the kids and a refreshing scented towelette - I knew this was going to be a great experience.
The staff are amazing at this resort, everyone greets you with "Hola" and a genuine smile. Our accommodation was spacious in the junior suite and our balcony on the 2nd floor overlooked the palms and the long winding pool. Room service for a late afternoon snack of tropical fruit, grandmas hot chocolate and a sweet treat was a perfect indulgence after a day on the beach or at the quieter pool areas. Armando even went out of his way to bring us some freshly baked cookies that the kids were craving. We had a minor issue in the kitchen area of the suite but that was dealt with quickly and efficiently.
The resort has a great kids club but my kids were happy to participate in the organized volleyball and water polo games that took place at the main horizon pool by the beach. The vibe was fantastic - great music, long swim up bar, delicious pina coladas, frozen lemonade and margaritas. The Beach Club Grill overlooking the sea offered a lovely breakfast and delicious lunch items of salad, ribs, fajitas, guacamole and nachos. The two smaller lunch spots by the other pools (Lizards and Palmas) offered fresh salads, gourmet burgers and shrimp tacitos - all very tasty. Our dinner choices at Sea Olive,Flavours,Tsuki and Arezzo were varied and all our meal choices were delicious.Service at all locations - attentive, friendly and efficient. Most memorable dish - The seafood pasta at Arrezo!
Organized nightly entertainment for everyone was impressive - we watched an outstanding fire show on the beach one evening and a lovely Mexican traditional dance group the next. The entertainment crew at the resort are a fun and enthusiastic group of young people always encouraging you to join in to learn to dance merengue, learn Spanish or how to make an authentic guacamole.
Lastly, I agree with the comments regarding the beach area directly in front of the resort being a little rocky however if you walk a few meters on either direction, the beach is perfect for swimming, wave jumping, walking and enjoying - no big effort is needed. In fact I met a father who took his child out to the rocky area of the beach and they were thrilled to snorkel and see a variety of marine life - another positive experience.
All in all , the Azul Fives resort is beautiful, the grounds are tropical, well manicured and pristine, staff are wonderful - we would all go back to Mexico in a heartbeat!

1 Thank ShutrGrl M
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Azul Fives is a nice place for families and OK for couples. The staff is very courteous, friendly and helpful. Be prepared to tip $1 US for every service, more in the dining rooms. The food is excellent. the main buffet has lots to chose from, changes the menu daily and it's all fresh and well prepared. The other restaurants by the beach have fixed menus and are very good. The beach is not very sandy in the water but is fine for walking on. The massages in the spa and the candlelit wine dinner on the beach were wonderful. The suites and grounds were gorgeous and well cared for. The pools were fine and the swim-up bar a plus. However, there was no heated hot tub.

The main issue that we had was the circuit breaker kept popping in our suite. We and our neighbors next door quickly learned the location of the breaker box and how to flip the breakers. We were upgraded to a penthouse suite at no additional charge. Also, there was no ATM on site. The nearest one was about 1/4 mile down the road and there was no shuttle. A cab ride into Playa del Carmen was $30 each way.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!