“Great hotel! Great trip!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #55 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel! Great trip!”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at Azuls Feb 7th-14th with our two boys 5 and 6. We had a one bedroom suite in villa 9 on the ground floor. We were close to lizards terrace and the swim up bar that our favorite bartender Sergio worked. He was great and was always very attentive.

Rooms were awesome, very modern and very clean. We bathed our guys every night and my wife and I both showered never once having any issues with hot water. Our kids did not find the pullout bed comfy so we just put sheets on the sectional sofa and they were happy. Two tv's in the room was nice so we could watch a show if the kids wanted to watch something else during down time.

Cleaning ladies were great, it is true they come at different times during the day but we just adjusted to this. They always gave us what we asked (extra water, beer, pop, etc).

Restaurants were great, flavors buffet we had breakfast every day and they have everything you could possibly want. If you don't enjoy this breakfast I would hate to read any review you may write about any resort. We also went to a few of the theme dinners at flavors, the mexican and Mayan nights were both very good while the Italian night to us was not good at all.

Italian restaurant was good, we had a reso for 6pm and had no wait. Good food but not our favorite.

Japanese Reston was our favorite, we didn't bring the kids to this one. They stayed with my wife's parents and had room service. The tempura, soups, sushi all awesome along with service.

We liked the beach grill for lunch, buffet with salads and pizza's some enchillada's and other tasty stuff. At night it turns into a beach side steakhouse with fresh red snapper and other great dishes.

Sea olive was Mediterranean and quite tasty as well. The kids liked it as it had onion rings.

Lizards restaurant near our room was probably our only bad experience for food as we had lunch one day and they messed up our order, forgot things and took forever. We just went back to the room and ordered room service.

Room service was great, food was good, friendly service, and came in a timely fashion. We always ordered so fruit trays for the kids and put some in Tupperware we brought and put in fridge for the kids.

Pools were great, infinity pool was pretty nice and definitely the busy area of resort. We preferred the pool near lizards near our room. Little quieter for the kids etc. lots of chairs and convenient to be close to our room. We wanted an ice relaxing week and that is exactly what we got.

My mother in law and ger husband are already planning a return trip here. I think we will definitely consider this resort again but also like to try different places. Would I recommend Azuls Fives? Absolutely!

Thanks,

• Stayed February 2012
6 Thank Mummurph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,713)
  • Polish first
Westchester, NY
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed Jan 29- Feb 4. Used two combined Groupons, but also purchased the Gourmet all-inclusive option. Worked out to be an incredible deal. Arranged transportation to and from Cancun through Lomas travel. They were great with very professional and clean service. We needed a van with 3 car seats and they met our need perfectly. We have twin 3 year old boys and a 2 year old girl, so our experience was based on just wanting to go someplace warm and spend time at the beach all together.

Upon arrival one of our sons hurt his face pretty badly and the resort was very responsive to provide us with medical care and arrange for transportation to a local hospital. The rest of the trip was event free.

We had an attached 1 bedroom suite and a deluxe room, on the first floor of building 6. Perfect location for our kids. Steps away from the Kids club and kiddie pool while closest to the main restaurants and beach. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. You need to ask on check in for pots, pans, and utensils, which were quickly brought to our room. The 1 bedroom suite has a good sized kitchen and dining area with a large dining table. There is a half bathroom along with a main room next to this, followed by the bedroom and good sized bathroom with Jacuzzi tub. We had no hot water issues at all, even after bathing all the kids and ourselves.

The fridge was stocked with beverages daily, and you could order room service 24/7. Most of the time room service was timely, but at busier dinner times it sometimes took a bit longer. When ordering, you are given a wait time which was very accurate.

The restaurants were very nice, with great menu options and hard working staff. We felt that the main buffet restaurant could have been a bit more kid friendly, utilizing less glassware and having cups with lids available. Overall the other restaurants were a bit more kid friendly. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were outstanding. The Italian restaurant was as good if not better than most fine Italian establishments in NYC.

The grounds and pools were very well maintained. Never had a problem getting chairs or beach beds. The beach was nice, but getting into the water was hazardous because of large coral rock formations literally just off shore. Even getting in the water just to cool off was a challenge. In this sense it was perfect for smaller kids because they could just play at the water edge all day. There are several pools that work well for adults as well as kids. Two of the pools have zero entry.

The kids club has lots of activities, some supervised, but most geared towards parents just spending time with their kids. It has a room for movies and video games, a lego play area, an activity area, and a gym area. The kids gym cost extra for an hour long class that was well worth it. Our kids loved it.

There is a nice adult gym with fairly new equipment and weights. Next to this is a Smoothie/juice bar with lots of really healthy options. The kids loved this, too.

Wifi cost $50 for a week, or $10 per day. Easily accessible in room or throughout the resort.

All things considered an excellent resort with hard working, friendly service and great restaurants. The all-inclusive option is a must to really get the most out of it. Special thanks to front desk man Nathaniel. He was very helpful to us from start to finish.

I would definitely recommend this resort, especially if getting a deal as sweet as ours.

Room Tip: If you have kids, definitely try to get Building 6. For small kids, get a ground floor room, then y...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jedeye525
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed at the azul fives February 10-19 in a one bedroom suite. The rooms were perfect big and always cleaned to perfection. The food was good at every restaurant, I especially enjoyed the lizard pool side restaurant. The service was excellent in all areas but Diana & Domingo at the beach and Sergio at the lizard pool bar were the best. This is a family resort and they really treat the kids well and they also have a great kids club. I would recommend this resort as it has something for everyone.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Gatorgirly
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2012

After months and months of planning a wedding in Michigan, I
looked at my fiancé and said "I am done dealing with all this stress." A girl that I worked with had just come back from having a destination wedding and brought in all her photos. After looking through her photos, I knew I wanted to do a destination wedding. The girl I worked with recommended DestinationWeddings.com, specifically Kathy Murray. After calling and talking with Kathy, she was able to recommend a few wedding venues for us in Mexico that would be within our budget. When I first got engaged I had put together a list of people and an estimated cost for our wedding. The list was around 350 people and our wedding was going to cost $60,000. This was way outside our budget. After talking with Kathy I was able to learn that a destination wedding typically costs anywhere from $3,000-$10,000. That struck my interest.

Three weeks before our wedding in Riviera Maya, I was watching the news and saw that the resort that we were going to have our wedding at had a natural gas explosion. I immediately panicked, since it showed that the resort was going to be shut down. I called Kathy and she was able to transfer all of our guests over to a FIVE STAR hotel called Azul Fives. This is a family friendly resort that has an amazing kids venue right at the resort as well. I was upset and nervous at first since I had never been to that resort, but put my trust in Kathy's expertise. I am so glad we did because of the fact that the resort was an amazing experience. It was a much nicer resort than we had originally planned to get married at and the resort was able to transfer over the same rates as the first resort. We were treated like royalty, which made the entire experience a memorable one. The food, the people, the atmosphere are perfect for an intimate wedding.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AshleyParrish
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Our two families loved the large clean suites at the Azul Fives. we enjoyed the all inclusive stay with butler service. He ensured that our every need was taken care of. Great food with lots of variety.
Everything from the beach, pools , hot food service snack bars, breakfast buffet and night club were less than a three minute walk.
The roof top patio with Barbeque was unique.
Ian Clarke
Pickering, Ontario

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ian C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I went to the Fives with a friend, and had an amazing time!!! I needed a rest and this serene resort gave me just that. It's a small resort and was never over crowded. The landscape and decor is classy and elegant. It was basically the most beautiful resort I have ever been to, clean and well kept.
The staff was professional and courteous. The entertainment staff were friendly and not pushy, which was great as I was looking to unwind. I did yoga in the mornings and long walks on the beach everyday. Playa del Carmen was a very short taxi ride away, and was fun to go to in the evenings.
The food for breakfast, lunch and dinner was delicious. I tried all the restaurants and have not one complaint. The Italian restaurant was my favourite.
Just to finish, the spa is the most amazing retreat you will find in the world. I have never had such wonderful treatment. Relaxing to the max.
I whole heartedly recommend this resort to one and all. You won't find anything better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mary Anne C
Toronto
Reviewed February 20, 2012

we stayed here as part of a destination wedding. A great time. Food was quite good, staff was excellent. Would return. check out Cocos Cabanas, 100 meters north off beach and through a small parking lot. Great lunch spot.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keithster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,659 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#44 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Viceroy Riviera Maya
Viceroy Riviera Maya
#12 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,078 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!