“Come to Azul Fives!!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #58 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Based on comparisons of other Playa del Carmen resorts, Azul Fives is definitely the best! Accommodations are comfortable and modern, pools are immaculate and I especially enjoyed the pool adjacent to the ocean.....gorgeous view! All staff are friendly and eager to please. The restaurants are top line and the food is varied and delicious. I will book again in the near future

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Christine S
There are newer reviews for Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Reviewed February 7, 2012

We returned from 11 days at Azul Fives. It was our first time there and we went with our 2 1/2 year old daughter. I am writing my review because I felt the complaints that were given prior were unwarranted and unfair. We received excellent service, from friendly and helpful staff every day, all day long. The food was great, with only a few exceptions, but I don't know of any restaurant anywhere that gets it right all the time. The portions are smaller, which we liked. It gave us an opportunity to try different flavours. There seems to be more staff there than guests, and so the grounds and rooms are impeccable. Everywhere people are gardening, cleaning, painting. This is a family resort, so expect children to be there. If you want something without children, Karisma as adult-oriented hotels as well. For those with children, it is so welcoming to your kids. Lots of booster chairs, there is a children's program that has planned events each day. The toys that you can bring to the room are limited, so do bring your own toys still, books and beach toys. The pools are cool when you first get into them, but are the perfect temperature once you're in and you can happily float about as long as you want. We had no problem waiting for the restaurants or our food, but we also came right at 5:30 when they open up. Best Day picked us up at the airport and shuttled us to the hotel. Everything was smooth, professional and timely. We will definitely return to a Karisma owned hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Tiarajulie
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a beautiful week long stay at this wonderful hotel. The service was great, the staff is very friendly,the food was great (one exception the Asian restaurant), the pool side entertainment was great. Some people just have nothing else to do but complain. Stay home!!
Our room was cleaned every day pefectly. The main buffet always had lot of great food. We are good HEALTHY eaters and found wonderful healthy food all the time. We spent lots of time at the gym. It's not bad, lots of cardio machines, some dumbells, nothing to do a good leg workout, but we walked a lot. Went all the way to Playa del Carmen one day. 4.5 hrs there and back with 1/2 hour there. Great time just looking at the other hotels, and swimming in the water. We like to tip, did not look like many people were tiping. We tried to get 1$ bills at the front dest, very difficult. If you plan on tipping, which you should, bring your own 1$. We had a regular room which only has two double beds. If you require larger, go for the suite. Apparently the larger beds are in the suites. Very children friendly. Lots of familis and very well set up for kids.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, try get a room by the end of the pool. They seemed to be having...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Travelercp102010
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We just returned from a four night stay at Azul Fives. I was very concerned about staying at this hotel after the run of horrible reviews from the week before our stay. First, we used USA Tours to get to the hotel from the airport. Definitely the most economical and very reliable and safe. I traveled with my husband and 10 month baby. It was very easy to book online and paid through paypal. Their directions were easy to follow and they had a carseat for my infant.

After arriving at the hotel, we were greeted nicely. After having requested Villa 4 or 5 because they were closest to the main restaurants we were disappointed to be booked in Villa 11. Basically, this is a small resort. The good is that frankly nothing is further than a ten minute walk, but there is not much room for switching rooms or special requests. Having said that we were booked in Villa 11 in the one bedroom penthouse. No room will ever be ready before three pm... period. We went to lunch at Sea Olive and our room was ready by four. The staff is friendly nice and very helpful. The penthouse was a large (larger then my first apartment) suite with a full kitchen, dining room and bedroom. There is a separate shower and toilet with a whirlpool in the room. I have travelled quite bit and the space was amazing. We have a rooftop that was also stunning, with a large hot tub, eating space and lounge chairs. I was extremely happy and now get why housekeeping takes so long. The rooms were cleaned in the early afternoon. It didn't matter to us.

Sea Olive is so so. I felt this restaurant had the worst service. My recommendation is to give your full order up front so that you don't have to wait for the waiters to check on you. The staff is very very new. I would guess most of the staff have been there less than 6 months, thus the service issues. We also ate at the BBQ which I enjoyed even being vegetarian. The bar restaurants are very basic. The food here is certainly not gourmet. In general the food is ok, not amazing. If they didn't constantly say the word gourmet then they would be ok. I wouldn't bother with room service for dinner. We had dinner in the room because of some rain our first night and the food was not really great. edible but that's about it. The Japanese restaurant again is so so. I had realistic expectations by this point about the food. Again we didn't have service issues, but the main reason people must is that this whole hotel is woefully understaffed and the staff that is there inexperienced but they really really want to please so it was ok for us. As for the Italian restaurant... the food here was def the best but again they are not equipped for the amount of people at the hotel. Initally they didn't take reservations, we always eat early because of the baby so we never had to wait. The on display kitchen is super small and again they don't have enough staff. Surprisingly, the last night we were told we couldnt be seated because we didn't have a reservation. Apparently no one thought to tell the guests. I was very irritated and asked for the manager. They sat us after ten minutes and I was super annoyed to see most of the tables were empty. The asparagus and saffron risotto is great. I also enjoyed the portobello soup. The only other thing with the Italian rest is that there is no elevator so be prepared to climb two sets of stairs. Normally not an issue, but with a carseat and diaper bag etc etc annoying.

The pools are not heated. But none of the hotels I looked at had heated pools so this was no shocker. We didn't have a issue with the temperature of the water. The baby loved the pool. There are two pools.. an infiniti pool in the main area and a "lazy river" which is just a regular pool that winds in between the villas. We loved this pool area. It was quiet and relaxing. There are three pool bars and two eating places. The service was fine, I had no complaints. I would suggest picking up some extra beach towels before you pack up if you want to either reserve your pool chairs or use the pool early They don't put the towels out before nine or ten. We were again up early because of the baby and were happy to have saved some from the day before. We did see most people reserved their pool chairs as did we. It is what it is. If you don't care, there are plently of chairs. We are just fussy where we want to be.

The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. I had no issues with the room and cleanliness. A couple of things came up the first day. The sinks weren't draining. They fixed it right away. There was a leak from the roof top the brought water into the hallway. Also fixed. There was even a super loud truck on the main road which was keep us up and the management took care of it. They provided everything we needed for the baby including a stroller, a bottle warmer and sterilizer as well as a monitor. The kitchen was completely empty but I am sure you could request whatever you need. The only annoying this was that they didnot have high chairs in the rooms so feeding our baby was annoying but hopefully they could remedy this. Every restaurant had a million high chairs and they were very clean. We never had a problem.

Overall, we had a great time. The food was so so but they really accomodated the baby and satisfied all of my requests. The room was amazing and the staff was ready to please even with their inexperience. I think if this resort hired a lot more staff and get a few years under their belt it will be a great property.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 11 on the second floor. I would pay the extra for the one bedroom suite vs the d...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jerseygirl30
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I left me jacket behind. I called from the airport. I spoke to Vanessa. She said she had my jacket at her desk and could arrange to have it sent to me. That was on December 12th. Since they I have tried to get my jacket back from Vanessa, who is concierge, from Kion in reservations in miami (he is suppposedly a supervisor) and from Johanna who is the sales manager of the Azul Fives. On January 28th Johanna told me that she would ship my jacket and send me a tracking number and I have not heard from her since. I would not stay at this hotel again, nor can I recommend it to anyone else. While the staff on the ground at the hotel is lovely, they are poorly managed, and the conceiege service was terrible the entire time we were there.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank 111patricia
Reviewed February 6, 2012

1. The hotel (Azul Fives in Playa Del Carmen, MX) was a horrible experience. Food was downright awful. I asked to speak with the manager several times, but no one would ever call me back.

2. They also tried to over-bill me on room service. The room service menu says taxes and service are included, but they charged me every time and when I refused to pay it they took the food back. I asked to speak with a manager again, but no one ever called me back. Most days I just had to leave the resort to go eat or go without. The food and service was that bad.

3. Laundry service was never picked up.

4. Never any beach towels available for the beach. They were always out.

5. The never booked my reservation at the Italian restaurant, so when I arrived I had to be wait listed for over 1 hour. I gave up and left the resort to go eat.

Joe

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Joe C
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Six of us spent a week at the Azul Fives in Playa Del Carmen through Sunquest Roulette and overall we thought it was extremely good, and incredible value for what we paid. Azul Fives is a very modern high end resort, and quite sterile, with no real Mexican feel, none of the usual thatched buildings etc. Not much atmosphere, little nightlife, but very good food and great service. We were asked by the staff quite a few times to fill out customer comment cards, and we had the distinct impression that the management and staff were doing everything they could to make our stay as good as possible. We had no complaints, only a couple of minor issues, so this review is to help decide if this is the right place for you based on our experience.

The resort is partly all inclusive, partly timeshare, partly full ownership. Maybe this explains the lack of nightlife, and the lack of bars open in the evening as in other all inclusive places we’ve been to. There are more staff here per guest than we've ever seen at any other resort, and they are all excellent! We had great service everywhere, and all the staff are very friendly and very attentive. Some reviews said the service was slow, but we found the pace just fine, we were happy to sit and drink and chat with each other, and take our time over each meal. I guess if fast food is what you’re used to, you might find it slow. The resort seems to cater to families with young children, and there were lots around. We were fine with it, but if it's not your thing...... And this is definitely not a party resort for young people!

The pool bars all close at 6 pm, and after that the only place to get a drink apart from the restaurants is the Zky Bar, and a small bar temporarily set up outside the Convention Centre where the evening entertainment is held. The Zky bar has no atmosphere at all, and was pretty empty any time we were there. There was some entertainment there each night, but basically one guy with a guitar playing some songs. Room service was included in our package, we didn't use it, but judging by how few people were around in the evenings, maybe lots of people did. If you want exciting nightlife, discos etc, this is not the place for you. There was a show held each evening in the Convention Centre, but that’s not our thing, so no comment.

We found the restaurants excellent, and definitely on the gourmet side. The Italian restaurant overall was very good, the lamb exceptional. People we met said the lasagna was cold, we didn't have it, so no comment. The Sea Olive restaurant was excellent, with very good steak. The Beach Club Grill had the best red snapper I have ever tasted. Pedro our waiter was great, so were Marco and Diana the maitre d’s. The Tsuki Asian restaurant was very good with great sushi, great Thai curry, we had a few drinks and had a great evening. Flavours restaurant close to the front desk was good for breakfast, with a great selection. The Beach Club Grill was good for breakfast too, with less selection, but a great view of the ocean while you ate.

This resort uses photo ID cards, not sure of the reason, but it’s less convenient than the normal wristbands. When you want a drink, or go to a restaurant, they ask for your card, write down your details, and return your card. Not sure why they don't use wrist bands like everywhere else.
The grounds are immaculate and beautifully kept.
On the beach the staff come round with jugs of beer, platters of fruit skewers, and in general they can't do enough for you. Aracelli was the best! We had the typical resort activities during the day, yoga, aquacise, beach volleyball, water polo in the pool etc.
The beach was sandy, but areas of the shallows were rock and coral, with only one small clear area to get in and out of the sea. The snorkelling was quite good right off the beach, with many varieties of fish, moray eels etc.

Our room was excellent, very modern, spacious, clean, lots of hot water (previous reviews said they ran out, we never had that problem). The toilet tank ran continuously, we reported it, but it was never fixed. A very small point. One couple in our party didn't like being on the ground floor, but since the resort was full it took a couple of days to be moved to another room. The other couple had a flood in their ground floor room, but it was very quickly dealt with, and they were moved to another room. Wifi was available in your room, and cost $10 per day, and could only be accessed once you had created an account. For some reason you could access it for free with no account at the infinity pool and Beach Club Grill, not sure why, so why pay for it?

The weather wasn't the best while we were there, cloudy some of the time, with rain most days, sometimes heavy at night. Quite windy most of the time which made the sea rough, so we couldn't go into the water some days. Beach volleyball suffered too! The "canal" type pools which wind through the villas are quite beautiful, although quite cool, and the layout of the resort made it easy to get lost, and difficult to find your own villa, especially if you were on the wrong side of the canal. Maybe the tequila had something to do with it!

Was it perfect? No. Was it incredible value for money? Absolutely! We had a great time!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!