“AMAZING EXPERIENCE !!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, Canada
“AMAZING EXPERIENCE !!!”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Words can not express how amazing our trip was but I will definitely try to do it for all of you that are looking at this hotel. We travelled from October 22-November 5, 2011.

CHECK IN- We arrived from the airport and were greeted by friendly staff who immediately greeted us with champagne ( we do not drink so we were given bottles of water) Check in was quick and very easy. We were given a card with our pictures on it. This was our room key as well as our all inclusive card. Much better then wearing those silly bracelets.

ROOM- we stayed in the two bedroom suite. This suite was amazing. Very clean and very modern. Of course the first thing we did was take pictures as we couldn’t believe how perfect everything looked. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and were always stocked with fresh towels and drinks in the fridge. Wonderful to have so much space. We NEVER had any issues with items being taken and we did leave our things out in the open.

STAFF- the staff were AMAZING. Everywhere you went they were greeting you with a smile and always there to help. The girls at the front reception were great. Always happy and friendly. CLAUDIA our personal concierge was wonderful. On our first day we received a phone call from Claudia welcoming us to the Azul Fives and letting us know that if we had any questions to please contact her. We decided to go and visit Claudia to meet her and ask her some advice on local places to tour and visit while we were there. Claudia went out of her way to make sure our stay was fantastic and truly engaged in conversation with us. She was full of fabulous information and had such an infectious smile. Thank you Claudia ! The men at the front of the hotel ( porters) were great. They knew when and where we were going off site and would always greet us and be excited to see us when we returned. We are scuba divers so when we would return from a long day of diving we would be greeted with a smile and then they would grab our gear and put it onto a cart. We would be driven to our room each time we returned from a day off the resort and they would always ask how our diving was. Some of them were so interested we would stand with them and show them our amazing dive pictures. What a wonderful feeling it is when you are greeted upon your return and they all know exactly who you are, where you were for the day and then know what room you were staying in. Just wonderful.

GROUNDS- wonderfully kept and always clean. I felt safe walking thru the resort at night and we would go and sit on the beach and relax after a nice dinner. Wonderful ambience and lighting throughout the resort. Keep your eye out for some monkeys that like to hide in the trees and the iguanas that like to lay on the rocks near the pathways to the beach. We got some wonderful pictures.

FLAVOURS RESTAURANT- The best food and service we have ever received. I honestly couldn’t say enough about our experience here. This truly made our trip. We went to Flavours for both breakfast and dinner. Breakfast we enjoyed the food display and the wonderful view of the cenotes. Dinner time was our absolute favourite time of day. Every night we were greeted by ARTURO the manager with a smile. He always knew right were to sit us. We had our favourite table of course. We met ARMANDO AND MARIO. What fantastic men and servers. During our stay not only did we get to know both on a personal level but they really got to know us and truly enjoyed every night. Armando was the joker. He was a wonderful server who loved to talk about his culture and how he would fish every morning before work. He would share his passion for food and when I would ask how something was made he would always give me tips and recipes so that I could make it back here in Canada. As for MARIO he was superb. One night Mario said that he wanted to do something special for us. We assumed that it would be something very simple like a fancy dessert or something very simple. We arrived the next time and the experience brought me to tears. Mario and the manager had closed off the top solarium of the restaurant and there by the window was a table dressed in linens. The table was full of beautiful flowers, candles and two champagne glasses that had two swans kissing made of out the napkins. Because Mario knew we didn’t drink he made us a special sparkling raspberry drink in celebration of our dinner. We had a fabulous dinner. The food was breathtaking. We had a wonderful salad, French onion soup and then rack of lamb. I have to admit I had always said I would never eat lamb but after Mario going to all this trouble I had to try it. AMAZING. The rack of lamb just melted in my mouth and I couldn’t believe how something could taste so good. Of course after dinner was dessert and as usual dessert was fantastic. The cooks in Flavours were wonderful. Truly created a work of art in every meal they made. On nights when there was nothing on the menu that we wanted, the chefs would make us something wonderful to suit our needs. I cant express in words how good the food was. I would say that this restaurant created the BEST food that I have ever tasted. I want to thank Arturo, Armando, Mario and the wonderful chefs that created such a wonderful experience and truly made our trip. THANK YOU !!

OVERALL- Amazing experience. AZUL FIVES is a wonderful resort, with superb staff and a place I will never forget.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kristyl K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,773)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2011

PROS: A La Carte food menu, generous amount of alcohol in drinks, Michael Jackson show, service with a smile, canopied beach beds, morning yoga, cleanliness, gym, green juice at breakfast, Grouper and Risotto at Green Olive, abundance of beach chairs/beds.

CONS: Cab-ride to airport is either $50 USD or 500 pesos (equal to $38 USD... so keep some pesos 'til your last day, or change the equivalent at the front desk), Staffing deficiency at Green Olive restaurant makes service slow, minibar and shampoo/soap was not replenished, rocky beach, ID cards given back to another couple, lack of room service menu and resort amenities binder in-room.

I stayed at Azul Fives with my fiance; we booked it on hotwire, and after realizing it was a kid-friendly resort, approached it with trepidation, but quickly realized that the kids are all well taken care of, and having children around kept things lively.

ROOM: Very clean, in-room safe, comfortable beds, tastefully furnished open-concept design. Nearing the end of our trip, we made friends with another couple, and it came out that they had a binder detailing the resort's classes, amenities, and room service menu. Since this was our first all-inclusive visit, we did not know to ask for this, and realized that we missed out on the smoothie bar, bingo, cooking lessons... Also, the housekeeper did not restock the mini-bar, nor soap/shampoo for the entire duration of our stay (5 days).

FOOD: Food is GREAT, albeit SLOW at Green Olive. One evening, after sitting at our table for 20 minutes, we had to ask the hostess if we had been allocated a waiter. During the same meal, it took 1 hr and 20 minutes to receive our entrees. I have to lament that the STAFF IS AMAZING, but there is clearly a serious staffing deficiency. That same night, an entire table of guests left after not being served for 20 minutes; the same table made a heated complaint to the hostess in the presence of other guests, which was deserved, although uncomfortable and awkward for everybody else. I noticed 3 other parties inquiring when they would receive service. It is important that I state that the staff is working its but off, but it's easy to see that they are stressed, which when perceived by the guest, makes things unpleasant. I have concerns regarding Azul Fives staffing issues.

The bartenders are generous with the booze - in fact, I had to ask for half alcohol hat times!! Buy, hey - can't complain!

The morning buffet is wonderful, with anything you can imagine. Ask for the green juice - super healthy! I experienced the room service menu on one occasion - it was ok... however, I noticed some deficiencies during my trip in food presentation, ex: I ordered beef fajitas, but they did not give any tortillas. At Tzuki, I ordered bacon-covered scallops, but only received scallops. Upon ordering green-tea tiramisu, received regular chocolate tiramisu. All-in-all, the food was great, and I was pleased with my experience. I absolutely love the ceviche at Lizard's.

KEY-CARDS: Although they are a great concept, the picture taken by the front desk is very dark. Basically, it is easy to mix one couple up for another. This happened to us - unbeknownst to us, we were given back another couples card. We didn't know this, and when we presented our card at a restaurant, the other couple happened to be in front of us, and asked, 'why do you have our card?' This was embarrassing, but quickly remedied by the front desk, although it was never discovered where that original card went.

BEACH/POOL: We got a beach bed facing the ocean each day. We got there around 1100, and it was no issue. Hugo is fantastic and welcoming. The beach in front of Azul Fives is very rocky. Despite having water shoes on, my fiance received some cuts. This is easily avoided by walking down the beach, and swimming further down. The beach is very clean, and the view is SPECTACULAR!

GYM/ACTIVITIES: I attended yoga/stretch each morning at 9 AM. It was basic yoga, and when overlooking the beach, was unforgettable. Lorena provides a class with a great workout. The gym is well-stocked with Lifestyle machines: 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 stepper, and 4 strengthening machines. Free weights increase by increments of 5 lbs. I made a vase at the ceramics stand next to the bar, and they detailed it and put it in the kiln, and it looks amazing. At first, I was skeptical, but it was money well spent!

I am a little upset that I did not realize that there are so many activities throughout the day!! There is a sign near the pool - although it says Fisher Price on it, do not be fooled! It has adult activities on it like Spanish Lessons, Salsa dancing etc..

SHOWS: I really enjoyed the shows; they are for guys and girls alike. The Michael Jackson show was packed, so get there early, if you are inclined. The Karisma dancers were fantastic.

SERVICE: Everybody here works very hard, and are always quick to greet guests with an 'Ola.' I cannot commend the workers enough. They made my experience unforgettable. I sure hope that the management shapes up, so the poor waiters aren't always run off their feet.

TAXI: I left with a bad taste in my mouth, when the hotel taxi charged $50 USD or 500 pesos. Unless, you're a chump, you would know that 500 pesos is equivalent to $38. So, save yourself $12 and change your cash at the desk before you leave.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizardo23
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Pretty good, except the bed was no kidding, like a ROCK!!! Restaurants had good food, we didnt have to make reservations. There were just a few restaurants so it did get a little old in 2 weeks, maybe we should break up the vacation in 2 resorts instead of one.... Staff was good. It was smaller, we did like that, it wasnt over-run with tons of people. The kids club area our daughter loved. (note: dont play in the balls ... pee) Room service was nice but wished the menu was a little bigger. Nice pool, but the gift shop.... wow $90 for 3 smaller pool toys... now we carry them with us. If it wasnt for the rock beds we possibly stay here again. Oh yeah, dont count on privacy if you are traveling with children, the door to the bedroom is see-thru and so quiet you can hear them breathing....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank barthols2
Lantzville, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We enjoyed a family destination wedding at the Azul Fives and I should preface this with our Mexican travel experience (10 trips) and preference not being all inclusives other than our daughters wedding at the Riu in Cancun. They seem good for weddings but not for those looking for Mexico. These are lovely places beautiful grounds, friendly service but oh so North American they could be anywhere. At any rate the Azul Fives was very nice.

We had a pool side suite, very spacious great access and full service including 24 hr room service and with a one year old in tow this was helpful at 5 am to order breakfast. Very kid and family friendly and the wedding was handled impeccably by a lovely British woman who was on top of everything. All went without a hitch. Our only observation was the food was OK but a notch or two below the Riu in Cancun and oddly they charged $10/day for wireless Internet later to find out that using VIP for user name and password got you hooked up for free!

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank GlenandTina
New York
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed at Azul Fives from 11/13 to 11/17 for our baby-moon. It's a small but modern hotel. During our stay, only 2 out of the 5 bars were open. 3 out of the 4 restaurants were open (one under renovation) and there is only 1 restaurant open for breakfast and 1 restaurant open for lunch so the selections were very limited. The staffs were very friendly and nice. The hotel is great for families with small children. They have a lot of toys around most public areas for kids to play and the toys were all sponsored by Fisher Price (include the high chairs and booster seats in the restaurants). The room are very spacious. Beach is a bit rocky so not ideal for swim or kids. I would recommend the hotel to families who wants a small vacation at a all inclusive.
(side note: pillows were dirty. It was report and one of them were replaced the next day)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank xmaskutee
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We had an excellent time at the Fives. We travelled to Playa in November with our son and daughter. We couldn't have been happier. We had all the comforts and space of home but all the benifits of being on the beach in Mexico with Restaurants and Room Service.

Pools were excellent with special facilities for the kids including a kids club. Everyone was freindly and helpful.

Food was a step up from the average all inclusive with really high quality and innovative menus.

Rooms (suites) were huge and gave us a little privacy which made it a real vacation. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a pool view which I strongly recommend.

Lot of activities ny entertainment group for kids of all ages.

Really preferred this format because we usually end up getting two adjacent rooms on are trips and this was far superior and comfortable.

Not sure if we'll have another opportunity to go back to Playa soon but if we do we will definately stay at the Fives.

The great thing about this vacation is that we felt totally relaxed!

Room Tip: 2 Bedroom Suite with Pool View
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank Chicago00Ed
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Incredible all inclusive about a 10 min drive from the heart of playa del carmen, premiun rooms, food and liquor!! Very friendly staff!! Quiet a little off season, but we enjoyed the chill factor, and went downtown playa at night for more nightlife!!

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a suite!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!