The Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen
$191
Bookit.com
$589
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$331
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$338
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$413
$347
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$940
Hotels.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$480
$472
$701
$450
8,182 results
All reviewsgin barla brasserieinfinity pooloka sushiflavours restaurantessence sectionbedroom sky suitesea oliveprestige memberspool butlersthe cantinaspider monkeysroom servicekids clubgourmet inclusivefull kitchenpoolside grill
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed at the Azul Fives Hotel for the first 2 weeks of April, Travelling from Scotland to Mexico is a long flight! but absolutely worth the 11 hours to stay at this hotel, as other reviews have said we were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews before we went, but I think I have came to conclusion that you cannot please everyone, we consider ourselves to be well travelled I can honestly say this is one of the best holidays we have ever had. We are a family of 4, myself, husband, daughter of 15 and son of 8, so as you can imagine having 2 children of different ages you need to choose holidays well and we certainly did choosing the Azul Fives, the hotel is lovely the rooms, gardens the beach, the infinity pool was fabulous, the restaurants, we mainly ate in Sea Olive & Tsuki both lovely, my favourite time of the day was sitting in Sea Olive in the afternoon with a lovely glass of wine and chicken tacos looking out over the infinity pool to the beach it was heavenly! Both our children had a wonderful time my son of 8 would be happy in the pool or going on to the beach and would occassionaly go the kids club, the entertainment team at the pool were great, Alex, Gamela, Gabo (our favourite), playing volleyball, football and generally entertaining us, Christian was our pool butler so polite, friendly and helpfull the evening shows were mainly very good, we loved walking to and from the beach looking out for the monkeys up in the trees,I could go on and on with positive comments, what I have to say in our experience the No: 1 thing that made our holiday so memorable was most definately the Staff, in particular Pamela who was the hostess of Tsuki Restaraunt, Berenice the hostess of Sea Olive, Christoper the manager of Sea Oilve and Senses Restaraunt where we had a beautiful last evening meal I could name many many more, we were always made so welcome and the service whether it be a breakfast, lunch or dinner was fantastic, being there for 2 weeks gave us the time to get to know a lot of the staff and it was a pleasure to be served by them. We were very sad to leave and will most definately return soon.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank McAdamsScotland
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We have just returned from our trip to Playa Del Carmen and we are ready to go back! This is truly a luxury resort for a myriad of reasons. First and foremost the staff's #1 concern is your comfort and they are willing to do most anything to insure that you have a good time. We dealt with everyone from bartenders to bellmen, concierge staff to the spa and everyone there goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Our accomodations were spotlessly clean, spacious and with a full kitchen and living area, met our every need. The pool areas are luxurious and you have a variety of pools and pool set-ups to choose from, to meet the needs of all ages and types of families. Speaking of, we saw at least a dozen families with small children - and the patience and playfulness of the staff in dealing with young ones - sometimes cranky at dinner time - was fun to watch. Azul Fives has a wonderful setup for small children with a special area of their own with sponsors such as Disney and Fisher Price - even their own little pool area.

The food was exceptional. Unlike other all-inclusives that we have visited, the quality of food was fabulous. The portions are not overly-large, but the quality is almost of a gourmet quality, and you can always order more if you feel like you need to. The breakfast buffet had something to meet everyone's needs from fruit, breads, meats, cereal, even a fresh omlet. The bar dining was good for pool time and there 3 excellent options for dinner. A buffet option would have been nice, but in the grand sceme of things it was great to have other options.

We discussed on our way home that we could not find anything that we DIDN'T like about our trip. The few problems that we had - some problems with our key not work - were taken care of right away and with numerous appologies.

By the time we left, we felt like we had made some lifetime friends - and we will be going back soon!

Room Tip: plan your travel in May, after spring break.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ushupps003
Reviewed May 15, 2011

It’s a beautiful facility with a sinuous pool that goes through the villas and well maintained grounds. The architecture is more of a European flair and we wouldn't have known that we were in Mexico had it not been for the wonderful staff. The manager Enrico was German. Watch out not to fall in the water when you get out of the cart in front of the convention facility. I bet a few folks have taken a spill there.

At check-in we were given a glass of sparkling wine a splash of Curacao in the bottom to make it blue...”azul”. The sparkling was good, local, 11.5% alcohol called Dubois. It was also served at the buffet even for breakfast. Our picture was taken to identify us on the room key, a nice touch and a great little souvenir.

The map of the resort was unfortunately a poor quality black and white print out, hard to read and not at all detailed. I asked for two so we could each have one but was told they had no more.

Rooms
Adequate with a rain shower but unfortunately none give out on the ocean which is separated by an ugly chain link fence with green plastic and foliage. We were driven to our room in an electric cart. Unfortunately the balcony was right in front of the playground to Azulitos, the children's play area. This room might have been more suitable for a family with small children. The sound of that basket ball pounding the ground and of the little ones screaming prompted us to request another room.

There are double entry ways for added security. The second room was by the pool and more quiet with a nice rain shower but no tub. The safe didn't work but was quickly fixed when we called. There are no ice machines; ice is available through room service only. The bar is stocked with four beers, four soft drinks and four bottles of water, no snacks. The coffee pot has two more water bottles, some coffee and tea bags...these were full of stains so I didn't use them. One day, we were not given any water. I called for some four times and nobody delivered any. The next morning, I called again. The maid told me later that they had none until late that previous afternoon. They just didn’t want to be bothered with delivering us any that evening. That was unacceptable to us.

Many guests were on the European Plan (EP). We went on the all inclusive plan (AI). The food is very costly on the a la carte menu at Sea Olives, an excellent restaurant. I was a bit confused at first, when the waiter told me they took all major credit cards until we clarified that we were on the AI plan. A hamburger is 135 pesos at lunch.

Tzukis is an Asian restaurant and rather mediocre. The green tea was undrinkable, the salmon overcooked, the tempura shrimp oily (old oil) the rice noodles tasteless and the vegetarian dish my friend had also totally tasteless. The sushi was good. We didn’t care for the waiter here and his …friendly banter.

There is also an area where they serve barbecue by the tennis court at lunch, on certain days. This is worth it. I enjoyed the chorizo salchichon there as an appetizer. Right across from here there is a table where you can purchase a piece of ceramic and paint it. They make bracelets with your name and your choice of three colors of thread for $8USD.

We went to the buffet for breakfast and once for dinner. One morning, there was a long line of folks outside the door waiting to be seated. The breakfast buffet had the usual array of boring dishes with the exception of some rot on the papaya. Empty dishes were not refilled promptly. The dinner buffet was mediocre. Some of the plants are neglected here. Service is more attentive but evidently, waiters provide more attentive service to those who are on the EP than to those who are on the AI due to the tipping practices.

The hostess was so excited at breakfast one morning; she didn’t watch where she was going and clobbered a woman and her plate full of fruit.

If you want to have lunch but would like to avoid a two hour sit down meal, bring a sandwich from the breakfast buffet. There is no snack bar close to the beach. Sea Olives is it and it takes a while to get served here. We requested a cart to go to the snack bar and bring our food back to the pool with us. That is just not done here, I guess, because the waiter at the snack bar frowned at putting saran wrap on the salad and on the pizza. We were there for the beach and the sun and didn’t want to spend a lot of time in a restaurant at lunch. This was one of two disappointments.

The beach is beautiful and the peddlers no longer bother you since the police monitor the beach and impose heavy fines on those who sell without permits. The infinity pool is great and where we spent most of our time since the beach was very windy. There are no restrictions on the amount of towels you can have and they have a small library of books for you to borrow and free sunscreen.

The other disappointment was that there are no iced coffee drinks available at the swim up bar at the infinity pool. My friend does not drink alcohol but enjoys hot or cold coffee all day. This was not available. The waiters at Breezes are extremely knowledgeable and very nice though.

Another poor reflection on the place is some of the activities. One day, we waited for someone to give word that the water aerobics class was about to start but it never happened. I guess the staff preferred to go play volleyball on the beach. Incidentally, the volleyball game later turned into a soccer game where goals were set up close to those of us who were in lounge chairs; the ball was flying around us, into us and there was no motion from the staff to stop this.

The next day, finally we were asked if we’d partake in the water aerobics activity. Every single movement for the arms was completed out of the water. When the time came to work the legs, no movement was done while standing in the water. Instead, the teacher had us move over to the side of the pool, remove our upper body out of the pool and while lying on the stomach with the butt out of the water, and flap our feet. This was a poor excuse to see a row of women’s butts lined up at that pool and that is when my friend and I slipped away from that class.

There is a boutique with a few items with the Azul Fives logo. The cost is astronomical, however. A coffee mug is 170 pesos; an ashtray or a spoon holder for the kitchen cost 66 pesos. A Mr. Perez owns this boutique and the staff says that if anything comes up missing, the person on duty in the store has to pay for it. They sell food here since many of the rooms are actually suites with kitchens at this hotel…bring your own mustard, their Dijon is 100 pesos.

Room Tip: We preferred the first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank FighterOne_11
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at Azul Fives in the month of February. The rooms were decorated beautifully and the grounds were well manicured. We loved the pool that meanders all the way through the complex. Although the hotel was fairly crowded, there still was a feeling of serenity and intimacy which sometimes can be lost at larger complexes.The staff couldn't have been more accommodating and the food was of a high calibre. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank AandG11
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for two days. Booked at Hotwire and got a very good deal.

Despite the delay at check in, the first impression of the hotel was amazing.

The front desk could not find my reservation. Partly it was my fault. I booked only one day in advance and didn't print the confirmation page.
The attendant was very helpful, but took too long to solve the problem.

After overcoming the initial difficulty with the check in, the first impression with the room was great.
Extremely spacious and very comfortable. The bed in particular is very good.

The beach in front of the hotel is not so nice, but in a few minutes walk you get one a lot better.

Just had a single meal at the hotel. Still, I approve the service. Quality and a reasonable value.
The first day was great and the hotel seemed to be perfect.

On the second day, however, I began to see the flaws.

Something happened that today I find quite funny but messed up my hole day.

I was stuck in the bathroom for 40 minutes.
The old lock broke and crashed.
It took a while for my girlfriend to call the customer service and even more for them to come get me out of the bathroom.
In the end we still had to wait 30 minutes while they changed the lock on the door.

The worst however was yet to come.

Despite bedroom suite seem very clean. We were not alone in the room.

I think cockroach and spider do not match a 4.5-star hotel.
I could not believe it.
So I had to take some pictures.

I know I had very bad luck.
It should not happen often, but that is the story.

Room Tip: Don't get the suíte 401-2....
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple