“Good taste and service but very small portions and expensive as well”

Ristorante Da Bruno
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Da Bruno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #171 of 1,305 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Me and my friend wanted to find a "real" Italian restaurant in Playa del Carmen because we were craving some pasta. There was a broad variety of pasta dishes when looking at the menu, with an average price of 50 more pesos than in the surrounding restaurants. We had to ask for bread and only got 6 small pieces but the butter that came with it was good. When we got our pasta (5 minutes later) we were really excited and it tasted great but the portions were so so so small. We finished our plates in 10 minutes (and we are not fast eaters) and wanted more. Not what you expect from a plate of pasta in a pretended "typical" Italian restaurant. Moreover the price was higher than the pasta in non Italian places. Very disappointing.

There are newer reviews for Ristorante Da Bruno

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Two nights ago, fifteen of us went to this restaurant in the evening. We ordered various dishes ranging from pizzas to grilled grouper. The staff were rude, impatient and were very clearly trying to 'rush' us through the meal to get new customers in. We did not feel comfortable where we were seated and asked to be moved and the reaction from the staff and manager was a lot of huffing and puffing, despite the fact an identical table was freely available a couple of meters away.

The meals arrived eventually and when I tucked into my grouper, it tasted dry, stale, lacking freshness. It was over cooked and more than likely re-heated. My horror began when I ate the salad, it was clearly unwashed as I felt the soil in between my teeth - I stopped eating. My niece, discovered a hair in her pasta and immediately stopped eating.

We called a staff member and she spoke to him in Spanish and politely explained our misfortune, he simply walked off never to return. We asked for the manager and when arrived at the table, he unapologetic and downright rude! He 'threw' the restaurant card on the table and asked us to complain by email. No offer of dish replacement, no compensation... no sorry for our incompetence - or lack of manners... nothing!

To top it all up, a large cockroach suddenly emerged on the table and there was much panic by the females on the table. It was disgusting as we watched weave itself in and out between the dishes and over the food. The staff just stood around and did nothing whatsoever to assist us or to even apologize.

My wife was sick to the stomach so we walked on 5th avenue for fresh air.

I urge anyone reading this, not to set foot in this bland, disgusting and horrible 'establishment' They are a horrible bunch and we are reporting them to the ministry of tourism and the health and safety office.

AVOID AVOID AVOID... I cannot repeat it enough!

2  Thank garodedeyan
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Can't really write about their pastas, meats and fishes, but their pizzas are great! My boyfriend and I ordered one individual pizza each and shared both of them. They were delicious.
The service was also very good. Would definitely go back for their pizzas.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This restaurant reminded us of some of the lower quality, higher priced restaurants in Little Italy in NY. We immediately got a table right on the street in the center of people watching 5th Ave. We picked it because it seemed very crowded, must be good. The table ocation was great and they brought little handbag stands for the 2 ladies. We were impressed. Then we ordered some wine but they were out of the 2 we wanted on the menu and settled on Multipuciani and Chianti, neither to our liking. Then the bread came which was tasteless and uninteresting. Although not the restaurant's fault, smokers lit up at tables on either side of us...
The food was average Italian, nothing special. The wait staff was taught to clear each plate as a person finished, a bad practice, leaving 1 or 2 eating alone. The bill was on the high side. Then as we prepared to leave, one of the ladies went to the restroom but was stopped by the female owner who said "No for Patrons only!", she said she was, but then the owner had to first verify that with a server. We wonder how reviewers could say this is their favorite in Playa Del Carmen??

2  Thank Doug063
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This has always been one of my favorite places to eat. The prices are outrageous a glass of wine was 13.00 American dollars. The service was very frantic they kept trying to take one of our parties plate before he was finished with his meal!!