“The best 'monkey cave' I'll ever visit”

La Cueva del Chango
Ranked #54 of 1,331 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: La Cueva del Chango is a unique restaurant-bar, not only in concept but also for the natural setting amongst abundant vegetation and trees. The culinary concept is natural Mexican food, we serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. All the juices are made with fresh fruit and we also have a bar with an ample assortment of premium brands. The wines we serve are mexican, thus offering and ample selection. In La Cueva del Chango we believe in the Mexican cuisine and offer a high quality product at a reasonable price.
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

The best local tip for playa and the only place I'd go back to.
Found it after asking in a local bar for a dinner place. And it turned out to be a great dinner experience.
The service is at high standard and very caring. We even got explained how one of the special dishes is prepared...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,374)

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Food was fresh, delicious and unique, complimented by excellent service. One of the most satisfying meals I've had in a long time. Guaranteed to revisit on my next trip to PDC!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We ate two of our meals here while in PDC. One brunch and one dinner. Both were terrific meals although I think we liked our breakfast/lunch meals best. La Cueva was located about a block from where were staying so it was very easy to get to for us, and it came highly recommended from friends that go to PDC every year. Waitstaff was friendly, helpful, and attentive. For lunch, we had the Enfrijoledas, the Chilaquiles with Tomato and Chipotle, and the Chicken Enchiladas with pasialla chili sauce. So much food and so delicious. Easily one of our favorite meals the whole trip. We had leftovers the next day which we all enjoyed again.
Our dinner was on our last night in Playa. We had the chicken breast with mole sauce, the fish of the day in mole sauce and the fish of the day with pumpkin seeds and roasted tomato sauce. All very delightful. I don't remember what the fish was, but it was meaty and flavorful, like a sea bass. Be sure to try all the little sauces they bring to the table.
On a sad note…they are building condos right next door. Our first meal was in the back garden area right near the corner. It was mid afternoon, hot and steamy and we were enjoying being out there. Then the construction workers camera over and started to work on the wall of the condo that is going up right next to the wall of the garden. They were standing over us, looking down on us, as they started to work on the concrete and nail in wood for the next level. one of the servers came over and asked them to stop for awhile which they did. But I realized that soon that whole side of the garden is going to have a big wall and condos overlooking it. Which is going to destroy that feeling of eating in the jungle that so many others have talked about.

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Fresh baked sweet breads, fresh squeezed juice, garden setting and courteous staff. And the good is fantastic. Love their salsas!! I love this place.

1  Thank Nicitica
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed in PDC in early April. We happened upon this restaurant quite by chance but I remembered it had received good reviews online (it's a bit out of the way). I can't say enough good things about our meal; bar none, the best mexican food I have ever tasted and we have traveled a lot! You must try the stuffed Poblano chili pepper. OMG and that rice they served with it! Very reasonable prices too. The surroundings are lovely, lush gardens near the near the nicest part of PDC beaches. A must!