“Great Hidden Place with outstanding Italian food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Mediterranea

Casa Mediterranea
Ranked #27 of 1,217 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Alessandro and his staff are glad to offer you a great quality in a friendly place, where you can enjoy a lot of delicious recipes prepared with the taste of the real traditional Italian cooking.
Playa Del Carmen- Mexico
“Great Hidden Place with outstanding Italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

This place is hidden a bid between 6th and 8th Street just off famous 5th ave. The place is small and will only seat about 35 people I would say. The food is very good and flavorful and the waiters where very attentive. I recommend making reservation if you have a larger group. we where dining with 5 people and all the meals arrived hot and in time to our table. Great Flavors and unique Dishes like the home made Pasta with duck sauce. Great Spaghetti Frutti De Mare. The prices are a higher than other italian restaurants but it is reflected in the quality of the dishes served. A great dinning experience for someone wanting to sample original italian cuisine.

Visited May 2013

Austin, Texas
“A hidden treasure on Avenida Quinta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a little oasis from the sometimes draining bustle of 5th. Between calle 6 and 8, very central. Between a couple of galleries and opens out into a little plaza which is quiet lush with plant life and lit with string lights, very pretty.

The restaurant is open air and small, very traditional rustic trattoria look. Nice lighting and ambience.

Out waiter was very accommodating and patient, something you don't often get in this tourist hub. He was a delight!

We were presented with complimentary bruschetta which was lovely and fresh. We chose a bottle of sauvignon blanc which if I remember was Chilean and it was really good, one of the best ones I have tried in Playa restaurants for a while. In fact it must have been popular as we had the last one!

The food was very good indeed. I had mero, catch of the day. Grilled very well with salad and zucchini. Really great.

Husband and friend had steaks, they said they were pretty good, that they had had better in Playa, but from more expensive restaurants. Their plates were empty, so I'm guessing it did pass muster!

I'm rating this place for the fish, I can recommend the catch of the day, best I'd had for a long time.

Highly recommend, not so expensive, my whole mero (grouper) was 240 peso, maybe $20 UD and a good plateful.

Also rate highly for being quiet, non touristic and authentic - 5th is pretty noisy and hectic. The owner is Italian and we met him when he came to check we had everything we needed. Very polite attentive gentleman who obviously takes great pride in his restaurant.

We will definitely go back. I'd love to try the tiramisu, didn't have room after my massive mero!

(Also toilets spotless, this means a lot here, especially on 5th where when places get busy the toilets are forgotten and can be a bit of an ordeal, as a lady very impressed!)

1 Thank mevesysufres
Florida
“Dinner with my son”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

This restaurant is in one of the back alleyways by an art gallery. It is very beautiful with all the trees and lights all around us. The restaurant is very small but busy. There was only one waiter to start then another one appeared, so it took around 10 minutes before they even took our drink order. One liter bottle of water = 60 pesos which in the store you could buy 5 with that. They give you bread and bruschetta as appetizers (fee). Although the bread was too hard to eat even with the oil on it. We ordered our food and instead of shrimp Alfredo I asked to replace the shrimp with chicken, when the order came I had both shrimp and chicken so we had a language barrier there. It took almost 40 minutes for our dinner to be delivered and then another 20 for mine to be re-done. The restaurant was very expensive and the food did not match up with the prices at all. My noodles were hard and the sauce had no flavor. They had no salt or pepper on the table to season the food either and when I asked they did not understand what I wanted. Nice place to visit once, but I will not be returning. They also add the tip in the bill which I did not like since the service and food were not acceptable.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Very good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant. Lovely outside setting, great Italian food. Authentic as the owner is Italian. A little more expensive than others on 5th ave but well worth it.

Visited April 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Great atmosphere - ok food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I ordered spaghetti but it was thick & wormy looking. Didn't enjoy. He took it off our bill but he was rude about it. Hubby enjoyed lasagna but I thought it was just ok. Beautiful ambiance.