“A comfortable evening with great food”
Review of Casa Mediterranea

Casa Mediterranea
Ranked #66 of 1,425 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alessandro and his staff are glad to offer you a great quality in a friendly place, where you can enjoy a lot of delicious recipes prepared with the taste of the real traditional Italian cooking.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We found this place after a recommendation from TA. It is tucked off of 5th on a small alcove giving it a nice quiet atmosphere. The food was wonderful, from the bruschetta to the tuna carpaccio to the mushroom ravioli. Also save room for the tiramisu- awesome. It is a relatively small place so get there early or make reservations. The service was great. Between the 2 owners and our waiter we had plenty of attention. We'll definitely go back again.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Came here with a party of 5 and ordered 4 entrees. Literally took 45 minutes (we timed it) for our entrees to come out. The food is good, authentic Italian but we shouldn't have had to wait that long for a few plates of pasta. Been there before and the service was much better. Disappointed in the slow service but not let down by the food.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We ordered two pastas, mine was made of rabbit sauce and it was amazing! The pasta is completely homemade. The dishes were fantastic, the waiter was great and als very good wine. It's a little pricey compared to the rest of restaurants in Playa del Carmen but its completely worth it!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

By the time this review gets posted, I will have dined at this place 2, maybe even 3 times.

The place itself is a little hard to find - it is between 6 and 8th street, in a little courtyard - but it is definitely WORTH IT.

Actually, I believe it is a test of sorts - so only the lucky or persistent can dine here.(I failed finding the restaurant the night before)

When I came around 8-8:30, the place was PACKED, every single table. Which is always a good thing, especially considering it was a MONDAY night.

In any case, lets start with the drinks and the food:

They have a charming list of drinks, a couple of rums, a couple of tequilas, nothing special. Their wine list is nice (the bottle selection that is), while they have a verbal list of "wines by the glass".
The Sauvignon Blanc is easy to drink, albeit the alcohol is a bit present, o'well.

I started with the roast beef and I do not exaggerate when I say that this was without a DOUBT - one of the top 5 appetizers I have ever eaten in my life.
Perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned, melt in your mouth piece of beef, with parmesan and... My god, my mouth started watering just now.

Next, I wasn't feeling particularly hungry, but I gambled with an insalata di mare pasta. In general I try to avoid anything that combines multiple ingredients that should be prepared at varying lengths of time in order to be cooked properly.

I was stunned - the octopus cooked perfectly, the chef just amazed me again.
Moving on: the scallop - cooked perfectly, it was not raw, it was not hard, just cooked to PERFECTION.

Next, lets try the shrimp, I didn't expect much - again, cooked to perfection, juicy, full of flavor... Absolutely terrific, I WAS OVERJOYED, the lobster was the same...

Seasoned with a little bit of garlic, a bit of olive oil, I added just a hint of pepper...

I ate the whole dish even though I wasn't hungry and just as I was about to ask for the bill, I saw the table next to me receive a tiramisu - my favorite dessert.

Ever since I visited Italy, I have invariably used a terrific tiramisu I tasted there as a benchmark for rating all other tiramisus' - the tiramisu I tasted here is the one that comes closest to the one I have tried in Italy.

One of the best meals in my life.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife, daughter and I were very appreciative of the personal service offered by the owners and their staff. The cuisine is excellent! The homemade fresh pasta and gnocchi first rate. All three of us would highly recommend a dining experience here. Although somewhat hidden off busy 5th Av between calle 6 & 8, it is well worth the effort to find. A 12% tip was automatically added to the bill and that was OK because it was desrved. Like any restaurant back home in Canada and the US, the wine list is highly overpriced so be prepared for that if you must have wine with your meal. We would definitely go back to be hosted again to authentic Italian cuisine by owners Mary and Mauridizo. Gracias! Grazie tanto!