“Chocolate Chocolate!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ah Cacao Chocolate Cafe

Ah Cacao Chocolate Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ah Cacao Chocolate Café offers natural well-being with premium coffee, chocolate, cacao and vanilla products, direct from the Mexican countryside. The store celebrates the Maya origins of chocolate, Mexico's gift to the world. Specialties include dark chocolate brownies, 100% cacao treats, coffee drinks prepared by professional baristi, and a wide range of packaged gifts (including chocolate cosmetics) for chocolate and coffee lovers.Your purchase in Ah Cacao supports local Mexican families and wildlife conservation projects.
Milan, Illinois
“Chocolate Chocolate!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

This place has awesome coffee and anything chocolate you could desire! It is always busy, so .get there early to get the best selection. However, everything they have will put on the pounds, so after having a treat take a walk on 5th Av. and get some exercise. Best chocolate in Playa!

• Visited August 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
“Save the walk and stop at Starbucks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was so looking forward to this and we took the half hour bus ride to PDC from our hotel with this Cafe on the top of our to do list. We are chocolatiers and own two shops in Canada so were especially keen on the Mayan chocolate experience. The pictures made it look, to me anyway, like a quaint shop with great variety. It is a tiny, disjointed (one glass vestibule inside, one open air uninviting area outside) with the coffee bar and small showcase stuck in the middle.

Uninspired by any of their offerings (think very picked over starbucks showcase...not known for their great pastries) we ordered a latte. There was no "latte art" and they sweetened it to death, though I asked for no sweetener. When I asked for my drink to be remade as ordered, she simply said "we always sweeten our coffee" So I had to prompt her one more time to remake my drink. I felt like they were put upon by serving me as we didn't receive a single smile or any eye contact when there. We sat in the A/C glass vestibule to get out of the heat and it felt like a cramped internet cafe - there was no art on the walls and it was completely void of color or decor of any kind, no music and everyone hunched over their wifi devices. I really struggled to find something to try in the showcase but mousse in a tiny plastic lidded cup and carrot cake were not doing it for me. We tried a sample of the chocolate that was sitting by the cash register and it was, in my opinion, dry and lacking any true cocoa flavour.

The coffee was uninspired and left unfinished. A big let down for us with this much talked about spot.

I understand that there is a larger one in Cancun and that gets great reviews so perhaps it offers more ambiance and quality but I would skip this one and just stick to Starbucks if you must have a coffee drink while on 5th Ave.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Anne C
London, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We have ordered 2 drinks- it was either on the Independent day or day after- anyway the shop was closing earlier- i think about 6 pm and me and my partner wanted to use a toilet- but the staff told us that was busy. First I was waiting inside the shop for few mins but nobody left the toilet, so went back outside, where we were sitting and tried to use the toilet again. The staff told me that was still busy, even though we were sitting by the door and haven't seen anybody coming to the shop. We were there for about half an hour( or maybe longer) and unable to use the toilet- simple trick, I think- that the staff cleaned before closing and didn't want to anybody use it! Oldest trick in the world.
In the end we have left and went to another coffee place, where we bought 2 more coffees and were able to use the toilet.
For that reason- If you need a toilet after your coffee- go somewhere else!

Visited September 2013
Lancaster, OH
“Delish!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stopped at the 2 different coffee shops in PDC several times. Everything we had was wonderful. Had a couple cappuccinos and iced frappe's. The hubby had a piece of cheesecake one evening and said it was good. Purchased some cocoa and chocolates to bring home. All in all I would definitely make this a stop on your trip.

• Visited September 2013
Markham, Canada
“Ahhhhddictive Cacao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The chocolate there is just amazing. Definitely one of the best, especially the "Chocolate Tradicional" and "Chocolate Maya". I never got to try their coffee, as I couldn't get enough of their chocolate everytime I went. I also recommend bringing back their cacao powder and cacao beans to enjoy when back home, or to offer as nice gifts. The atmosphere is relaxed, with a very friendly staff. They also have free wifi.

• Visited September 2013