“Service Horrible!”

Media Luna
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our 8th trip to Playa Del Carmen. We always have eaten at Media Luna and enjoyed the atmosphere, food and service This time we thought we were going to have the same experience. but were shocked with the terrible service we received from our waiter. He was very rude and hardly acknowleged our presence at the table. When we presented our coupon for one free maragrita and my husband had ordered a glass of wine, he got angry and said the coupon is NOT good for wine orders; only for a maragrita. We explained we knew that and that I was going to be the one to order the maragrita. Well he brings the wine and completely forgot my order.

When our food came, he slams dowen our plates without saying nothing and leaves. Never came back to see if everything was ok and if we needed more drinks, water etc. After several attempts to get our check, he slams down our bill and leaves the table.

I am emailing the company and explaining what happened. We use to rave about Media Luna but never again will we give them our money. In my book, service comes first before the food.

1  Thank TravelLadySt_Paul

Reviewed January 22, 2010

My partner and I had lunch at Media Luna while vacationing in Playa del Carmen on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2010, and it was our worst experience during a five-day vacation in Mexico. We were lured in by their special -- an order of three shrimp tacos and either a beer or a Margarita for 130 pesos. It sounded like a great deal.

Truth be told, the tacos and my Margarita were very good, and we both enjoyed this second-floor restaurant's view from our table overlooking 5th Ave. However, what happened when it came time to pay left a very bitter taste in our mouths.

The waiter brought our bill, I glanced at it quickly and the amount seemed proper, so I handed it back with my Visa card. But the waiter shook his head and said, "No, no, no -- the machine..." without finishing the sentence. He then said that at that time he could accept cash only.

We were out of Mexican currency but had some U.S. money, so he told us the cost would be $27 U.S. Since I hadn't looked at the bill closely, I couldn't remember the total amount in pesos. But I realized later that with tax of 15 percent, the total would have been 299 pesos -- which translates to a little over $23 U.S.

So we were already being cheated, and to add insult to injury I handed the waiter $40 U.S. and he returned with only a 100 peso bill and some Mexican coins -- about $8, meaning that our rather humble meal cost us about $32!!

We protested that he hadn't given us enough change, so he apologized and handed us a 20 peso note -- about $1.55. Since the guy seemed so very sleazy, I was afraid of what he might do if we did not leave a tip, so I left the 20 pesos on the table. If the restaurant were in the U.S., I'd be reporting our experience to the local authorities, but the best I can do is warn other travelers to stay away from Media Luna.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We dropped in after walking up and down 5th ave - many the other restaurants seemed like tourist traps or really suspicious. After looking at the menu, I had a hunch this would be good, and I was right. We were constrained to the lunch menu - the dinner menu looked even better.

The soup was really good, and both of our sandwiches were very tasty. The downside, which was annoying, was that they messed up and tried to give me the woman at the next table's order, then took way too long to get me mine, despite the fact it was the middle of the afternoon and it was empty. All restaurants make mistakes, and I'd certainly give them another try.

I don't understand the complaints about price. Food quality and price seemed very much in sync. But to me, an expensive meal is at least $50/person, and this was nowhere even close to that.

Reviewed November 23, 2009

Out of all the places we ate in Playa this was the best. We sat up stairs overlooking 5th Ave which was great. The service was friendly and quick, and the food was execellent. We fresh bread and garlic butter were good, I had the Seafood pasta which was Amazing and my other half had the Black pepper fish with mango salsa that just melted in your mouth. On our next trip to Playa we will make sure to go here again.

Reviewed November 16, 2009

The service was good, and the wait-staff friendly; however, the food was overpriced for what you actually get. The special with shrimp and lobster was about $20 and there was only one small piece of lobster and a few shrimp (at most); not to mention, the pasta was over-cooked (not al dente). My brother ordered the filet mignon and it came out looking like a small piece of prime rib with a slice of bacon on top. At any rate, we did have a nice view of 5th avenue, but would not eat here again, nor recommend this restaurant to anyone else.