“La Caprichoza”

Cuisines: Mexican, International
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I think this place used to be La Parilla. Food was all good. Wife said Salmon was awesome, daughter loved the Chicken Ceasar salad prepared table side. I don't recall what I had...must not have been that impressed. Very pricey.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Lots and lots of places on 5th try to drag you into their establishment- understandably, as the competition is fierce, and the food is all over the place.
La Caprichoza is an exception- the food was incredible, the service is unparalleled and the view was really fun. High above 5th, this is a great place to people watch and eat wonderful authentic Mexican food.
Notabl"est" was the queso fundido- get it with a big side of pic ode gallo and corn tortillas- soooo good.
Also, the ceviche is huge and plentiful- and beautifully seasoned.
They also have a great little serving of a light green habanero crema- use it sparingly, but it is absolutely amazing.
We will return again before we go home- Excellent!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

With so many restaurants on 5th Avenue, it was very difficult to chose. We had a gentleman at the entrance telling us that if we did not like the food that he would pay for it. Sold!

First off, the dining is roof-top and had a nice view of the street below. The waiter was super friendly and our drinks came to the table on his head. What a nice touch!

Our meals were typical Mexican. One of us had the Aztech warrior soup, we shared a queso fundido (an absolute must as an appetizer) and other dishes. Needless to say, they were all delicious and the soft Mexican music and great service made us want to stay here all night. Hopefully we did not overstay our welcome.

There is truly something here for everyone.

Thanks to the terrific staff, you certainly made us feel welcome (and full)!

Hasta luego Amigos!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were headed to another restaurant that was closed and ended up here. The waiter was very attentive. Food was surprisingly good.

BE AWARE OF THE STREET SELLERS - We got suckered into a flask of tequila with our picture on it that they took when we sat down. They said they were taking a picture for the restaurant - it was a street seller. Wanting $22 for the flask.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I don't seem to go to Playa del Carmen or the Riviera Maya every year, but when I do, I always visit La Caprichoza.

I got hooked many years ago when I first "discovered" this gem of a restaurant. While all their food is fantastic, my go to suggestion is NOT to miss the table side preparation of guacamole. Who could imagine that a few simple, fresh ingredients would make such a heavenly epicurean combination!

Victor and the staff at La Caprichoza make for a welcoming and inviting experience each and every time. So much so, that on my most recent visit, I dined there 3 out of 4 nights. Each meal started with the guacamole presentation (done table side, of course), One night, that was my entire meal! Another night, I added Camarones La Caprichoza, shrimp sauteed tableside in butter, tequila various spices, served with a medley of lightly steamed vegetables, rice, and a reduction sauce. It is clear why they have made this a house specialty.

The third night I dined there, I added the special seafood chile relleno to the prerequisite guacamole. This dish was a variation on the traditional Mexican fare of a cheese stuffed mild Poblano pepper dish. This night, it was a mix of seafood (shrimp, octopus, etc),and gouda cheese stuffed into a Poblano pepper, then battered and deep fried, served with rice and steamed vegetables. The pepper was mild and tender, and the perfect vehicle for the seafood medley. The surprise of course was the Gouda cheese instead of the standard queso blanco. I know I will try to make this at home, but it will certainly not have the perfection achieved by the kitchen at La Caprichoza.

While the prices were not inexpensive (especially when you consider I was staying at an all inclusive and my meals would otherwise have been free), but the quality, service, and atmosphere at La Caprichoza are excellent, and the price is "resort reasonable".

Ask for a street-side table so you can do some people watching as all the tourists pass by on 5th avenue.

Over many years, I have recommended La Caprichoza to EVERYONE I've encountered who mentioned they would be in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya area. While dining, I texted a former colleague who I introduced to La Caprichoza. She was first surprised to hear from me, but when she heard where I was, she replied that she had just taken a group of people there 2 weeks earlier when she was in Playa del Carmen!

It is easy to find this restaurant. They are on 5th Avenue (ocean side of the street). Everyone knows and can easily tell you how to get to 5th Avenue. They are about 3 - 4 blocks from Av. Constituyones (pardon my spelling). They are on the second floor, most easily identified by looking for the staircase with a red wall on the right and candles melted along the left side all the way up. It has a thatched roof, and several object d'art hanging from the rafters (orbs, stars, shapes, etc).

Don't miss the guacamole, but try some of their other fine offerings. I've not been disappointed, and I don't think you will be either!