“Great Food, Wonderful Service”
Review of Blue Lobster

Blue Lobster
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Lobster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 1,310 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1a sur y 5ta
Description: In July 1996 Blue lobster opens in Playa del Carmen to become a favorite of locals and tourists to enjoy a delicious lobster, fish and seafood. Built with tropical wood, stone slab, thatched roofs and waterfalls that give an extra relaxation touch. We always try to satisfied and exceed our customers’ expectations. Excellent food, polite waiters and a fantastic view of the fifth Avenue will make you spend an unforgettable night.We have capacity for 130 persons on two levels and an air conditioning area to 22. Blue lobster makes a compromising bet on mexican wine and regional sea dishes that result in a perfect union. They have created perfect unions for their wines’ selection through a very special menu that proposes the perfect combination between their gastronomy and their wines. As three dishes’ menu with different wine suggestions in order to please every palate: reds, whites, roses and foamy wines.
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

On the outside, this place looks like your run-of-the-mill dining spot in Playa. But what sets it apart from many other places to eat in this downtown beach town is it's service.

The wait staff was *extremely* patient with our group of three, as one of us (my buddy Irv) took what seemed to be forever to order his meal. Despite his indecision, our waiter implored us to take our time and not to rush.

Another thing: This place has a sort of an upscale-ness to it. The waiters come and replace your silverware as soon as you're done eating one portion of your meal, or they'll give you extra cloth napkins if they see you've used yours already... Even down to the way the waiters put your utensils on the table, you can definitely notice that there's a level of sophistication in how this place does business.

Oh and yeah...The food was also very good!!

Relaciones Publ... B, Public Relations Manager at Blue Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

We very much appreciate your comments and your visit much more, we have been at this location for many years, we have worked hard to make blue lobster an icon in playa del carmen.

Our staff is constantly trained in order to offer a real pleasant experience.

Thank you very much and look forward to your return

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I've been coming to playa and the blue lobster since I was 15 and can honestly say it was great then and great now, nothing has changed! Wonderful atmosphere, incredible prices and the best grilled lobster you will ever have. A must stop while visiting playa del Carmen.

1  Thank MrsFDF

It is an honor for us to know that we have customers who return year after year to Blue Lobster.
You witnessed how Blue Lobster has worked over the years to stay in the taste of our visitors.
Thank you very much for choosing us and hope to see you back soon

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Excellent food, excellent service.....cannot say enough good about this restaurant. Wonderful dining experience for the Playa del Carmen area.

it was a pleasure for us to serve you and satisfy your taste and expectations.
Come back soon to blue lobster

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We dine at the Blue Lobster every time we are in Playa del Carmen. We've celebrated my husband's Birthday there 3 times. Great seafood menu, Lobster & steak, scallops with risotto.
Service was bland this time, no flair or personality from the server. We still loved the dinner.

Thank you very much for your comments and for choosing us, throughout the year we worked very hard as it is important for us your satisfaction.
Please keep visiting blue lobster is a pleasure for us to serve you year after year.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Simply put, this place is AMAZING and I give it my absolute highest recommendation… especially for seafood lovers! Although staying at an all-inclusive in PDC, I was in the mood for some good seafood on my 2nd night, so I visited this place based mainly on the excellent TA reviews, in addition to close proximity (easy and entertaining 10 minute walk down 5th Ave) to my hotel (Playacar Palace).

Upon arriving at the restaurant, I am warmly greeted by a stunning hostess, who I would later learn is named Carolina (hope that’s the right spelling). She is very accommodating and asks me where I would prefer to sit as it was not that busy at the time. I chose a bottom floor table as the vibe seemed like it would be better than upstairs. Even though smoking was allowed in that area (I have bad smoke allergies) there weren’t many people seated around me so it wasn’t an issue. I ordered the Coconut Jumbo Shrimp with fries. The order came quite quickly and was fresh and tasted amazing! Most likely the best Coconut shrimp I’ve ever had… and I’ve had a lot! Shrimp were butterfly cut and quite large. Even though they are fried, they didn’t really taste greasy at all, which is a HUGE plus in my book. For about $22, you get 9 of these monsters, with choice of side. Maybe not the cheapest meal in town but considering the quality and location, I would still say it’s a very good value.

After finishing and being thoroughly satisfied with my meal, I decided to make reservations there for the following evening. I was meeting some local friends so with a bigger group than just myself; I wanted to make sure we would get a table. Again I spoke with Carolina and she gladly logged the reservation, again with choice of area… this time I chose upstairs. When I arrived the next night, I was again warmly greeted by a smiling Carolina. She informed me that we could still sit upstairs but that they had a large party of about 20 up there and that the service would therefore likely be slower. I found this to be very insightful and thoughtful of her to mention and opted to sit downstairs, which wasn’t really that busy at the time. Unfortunately, my friends were delayed and didn’t show up until almost an hour after I did. Even though I was growing anxious, the wait staff and Carolina insisted that is was no problem waiting for them to arrive, which really set my mind at ease. Upon their arrival, we asked to change to another table and they all were happy to accommodate the move. As with the first night, the food was top-notch again. This time I ordered filet mignon and grilled shrimp and both were amazingly good! I requested the steak be cooked medium-well, which for some reason seems to be a problem at most places I’ve eaten at in the US. To my delight, it was cooked perfectly… firm but not charred, with I bit of pink in the middle but not bloody… absolutely exactly how I like it!

Well, based on these 2 experiences, I ended up going back my remaining 4 nights in PDC… even though I could have eaten for free at my hotel. This may seem like a crazy waste of money to some people but let me tell you… this place is well worth it. On several of my remaining visits, I decided to try their lobster. I had not previously been a huge fan of lobster… trying it about 3-4 times but never being overly impressed. Well, that was until I tried it here! The chefs at Blue Lobster know how to do it right! I had mine grilled and it was simply amazing! So tender, juicy and tasty… so much so that I ate over 90% without dipping butter or anything else!
The first 3 nights I didn’t eat desert there (BIG mistake as I was to find out). On the 4th night, I decided to try their Caramelized Crepes. WOW! 4 small crepes drenched in some of the most amazing tasting caramel sauce ever with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle. Simply decadent! I was hooked and had it my 5th and 6th nights as well!

On the 4th night, I had the pleasure of meeting the restaurant manager, Pablo (hope I remembered his name right). I made a point to seek him out and let him know what a great job his staff was doing. All of the wait-staff, bus-boys, and especially Carolina just went that extra mile to make every single one of my visits a true pleasure. Pablo seemed like a great guy himself… he recognized and greeted me the next 2 nights, and on the 5th night, even comped my desert, which was an unexpected but highly appreciated gesture!

On my last night, the meal and service was excellent and usual. Sadly, it was Carolina’s day off but I enjoyed my time there despite this. Something that really impressed me on this visit was that Pablo came by and asked if I wanted another cup of ice for my soda. I said yes, expecting my waiter to come back with it. But to my surprise, Pablo brought it over himself. They were quite busy at this time so it was great to see him going that extra mile to not only help out the patrons, but the busy staff as well.

I am already starting to plan my next trip to PDC and when I arrive, this place will absolutely be my first (and probably only) stop for dinner!

Given all of these positive factors (and no negative ones, even during 6 consecutive nights dining there), I would have to say that this is my favorite restaurant of all time. If you are anywhere near PDC, do yourself a huge favor and visit Blue Lobster! You will love it and will most likely get hooked like I did!

Whoever reads this from Blue Lobster, please pass along my tremendous gratitude to Carolina, Pablo, and all the staff for a wonderful week of amazing dining experiences!

1  Thank ASP-lover

Thank you very much for your visit and for your comments, we are delighted with them.
We have worked very hard for many years and there is no better reward.
Blue Lobster is a family, for us this is not a job it's a way of living in which we give the best of each of us to you.

Please come back soon and thanks again.