“New Location, Same Great Food and Service!”
Review of Ajua Maya - CLOSED

Ajua Maya
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine dining in a casual sophisticated atmosphere with live Latin jazz and salsa every night. Specializing in Flambes at your table, Lobster, Steaks, authentic Mayan and Mexican cuisines, Mestizo recipes and, of course, our fabulous staff and excellent service. Perfect for a romantic dinner or a group event, wedding receptions or rehearsal dinners.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I always go to Ajua Maya when we are in Playa. I did like the atmosphere at the old location with the palapa roof and more traditional touches. The new location is a bit more modern, but it is in a more up and coming neighborhood. It is worth the walk or cab ride up north on fifth avenue. The caesar salad prepared table side is probably the best I have ever eaten. The lobster flambe, also done table side is amazing. Just like before the new location is worth a visit!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I walked by this place on our first day in Playa and was engaged in conversation with Victor. My wife and tried it for dinner soon after. We chose to be outside but away from the street. The service was prompt and quite good.

Our first drink, Marguerita's naturally, was free and the serving size of the meal was ample. I had a Mayan dish consisting of pork in a sauce wrapped in a banana leaf. It was delicious. My wife opted for a more traditional fish dish that filled the plate. It was quite good.

The ambiance was good as the waiter brought out our drinks on his heads.

The place is a bit upscale but well-worth a visit.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a large group of 12 and we made reservations. Our table was right outside and they were ready for us upon arrival. The service was awesome and the food was great. My husband had the diablo shrimp fambe and it was AWESOME (if you like spice). Everyone we were with enjoyed their meal. We will for sure go back the next time we are in playa. It is also in the new area of 5th Ave and it was fun to see how much the street has grown.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We passed Ajua Maya by on our first night, however hearing about it from other guests at the Royal Haciendas, we decided to check it out. We were not disappointed in the least. The outdoor seating in front along 5th Ave was full, so we chose to dine inside in great comfort. We were the only ones inside during our two hour dinner, and everyone took great care of us from start to finish. The portions were very good, not stingy in the least, in fact it was recommended that we could easily share a salad. Being an adventure eater, I selected the grilled octopus and it was among the best I've had from Italy to Greece, this was among the best. My wife selected the TiKin Chik, Yucatan syle fish. We had the dark chocolate mousee for dessert, again shared, and were delighted in it's taste and denseness. Agua Maya is pleasantly situated on the northern end of 5th ave away from all the hawkers, and sometimes chaoticness of the more southern end. Nice wine list, however, we cannot figure out why it's cheaper to order wine by the glass than the bottle...95 pesos per glass for a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc vs. 500 pesos for the bottle--usually 4 glasses per bottle. BTW, the pours were very generous, and the cocktails delightful. Outstanding service all around.

1  Thank Sweetwater
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This restaurant is one of the best my partner and I have been too the food and service is top class. Traditional Mayan food and service. Thank you to Enrique for the amazing Flambuet shrimps what a show.The menu is so large and of excellent quality, they also serve the best steaks!! Well worth a visit. Mid-to high price but well worth the quality and service (and depending on the number of beverages consumed!!)

2  Thank LondonStace