“Favorite!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yaxche Maya Cuisine - CLOSED

Yaxche Maya Cuisine
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Mexican, Latin, Central American, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Yaxche (pronounced jag-shey) Maya cuisine restaurant is located in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We serve the Maya culinary art in a unique style. Dining at Yaxche will be a quest into the Mayan World where you will find the flavors of the region in a unique environment that combines both ancient and cosmopolitan elements..
Johns Island, South Carolina
“Favorite!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely love this restaurant! Favorite place to eat in Playa. We eat here every time we visit! Delicious!!!

• Visited October 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
“Great experience, good meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We wanted to try authentic, traditional Mayan cuisine. This seemed to fit the bill, and as a bonus they serve locally sourced, sustainable, and, when possible, organic ingredients. The atmosphere was pleasant and cheerful. The service was outstanding and included a check-in visit by the manager.

My friend is a tamale aficionado, so the tamale sampler was a "must try". She said they were different than any she had before and they were superbly delicious. I'm not especially a tamale fan, and I have to agree they were delicious. My amiga had a shrimp dish that she said was wonderful. I had a white fish that was wrapped in banana leaf and seasoned with traditional Mayan spices. I have to admit, it was only OK. It was slightly bitter and not to my taste, although someone else might think it was great. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the dessert, but it was perfect. We wanted something not too heavy after the large meal. It had light coconut flavor, and was somewhat light and custardy. I just remember enjoying it very much.
Even though I wasn't crazy about my main entree, I'm giving the overall rating 5 stars because the service, the presentation, the atmosphere and all the rest of the meal was excellent. It didn't strike me as overly expensive for what we received. I have eaten better meals for sure, but also much worse. And I am taking into consideration the the charm of trying to communicate across a language barrier with really nice waiters trying hard to please, trying new flavors and dishes, and having a very overall positive dining experience. I would certainly go back and try more of the menu given the opportunity.

• Visited December 2013
San Mateo, California
“Amazing food and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Mayan food prepared creatively. Wonderful delectable choices. Outstanding service. Friendly. They don't miss.

Shawnee, Kansas
“Great restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is a great restaurant with excellent food right on 5th Ave. It has a very limited wine selection which is the only negative. It has both indoor and outdoor seating available.

munchkinhead_9
“Nice restaurant, food ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

This is an impressive restaurant from the outside! The staff was very attentive but the food was ok. Starters came out and were ok, wasn't to our taste and straight after the mains came out which was pretty fast. If they spaced out the starters and mains we would of enjoyed our meal a lot more but unfortunately we were full very quick.

Also they take a picture of you when you sit down and at the end the same guy comes out with a photo on a bottle of tequila and another picture with a frame. We declined and the man did look confused but took our refusal even though he didn't look like he agreed.