“Definitely worth it!”

Yaxche Maya Cuisine
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Yaxche (pronounced jag-shey) Maya cuisine restaurant is located in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We serve the Maya culinary art in a unique style. Dining at Yaxche will be a quest into the Mayan World where you will find the flavors of the region in a unique environment that combines both ancient and cosmopolitan elements..
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Can't say it's the best in town because I've been at my resort all week, but for eating out one night I'm glad we came here. Excellent, tasty authentic Mayan food and great service in a nice atmosphere. I'd definitely recommend it.

I had the kiniche chicken and its delicious. Even the presentation is perfect.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

There's a lot of competition on 5th Avenue so the young guy who lured us in sold this restaurant really well and did a great job. All started well with friendly (if insincere) service and we were ready to order.

We resisted the waiters upsell to the dearest starter on the menu and just went straight for main courses. The fun began when I asked for the carta de bebida (drinks list) and was told they don't have one as they have a "full bar" (no wonder it's still full when you hear the prices - not many people will pay this much!). No wine list either meant we were brought three bottles of expensive Mexican only wine to peruse which ranged from £25 to £38 and it didn't look great to be honest. We demurred and settled on a couple of small bottled beers. These turned out to be £5.50 a pop and were almost 5x the price we'd just paid in a bar 50yards away!

I forgot to mention the food which was pretty good but the above spoiled our meal and we won't be returning; it smacks a bit of sharp practice to not have a drinks list and then charge so much for them.

2  Thank Off their P
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Despite sitting near the busy 5th Avenue, their team understands to create a romantic atmosphere which includes a beautiful table setup, lovely decoration and fantastic service.

Yaxche offers a great variety of dishes, which all sounded and looked delicious to us. Considering the very central location, we felt the prices very moderate for its high quality and well presented meals.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've been to Playa del Carmen about 10 times and each time made it a point to eat here. This used to be my favorite place, but sadly I can no longer say that. The service is extremely slow, even when not busy. There is no warm friendly hospitality. In fact, waiters here have absolutely no personality whatsoever and seem like they could care less about you. Food quality has also gotten much worse then previous years. I'm very saddened is all I can say.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant decor was quite nice and we were warmly welcome. The waiter recommended us the mixed fish plate for two rather than the lobster as half a lobster was included. Unfortunately despite the high price tag, we only got a tiny tail without the claws. Fortunately the sauce was very tasty.