“Would surely go back”

Yaxche Maya Cuisine
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Yaxche (pronounced jag-shey) Maya cuisine restaurant is located in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We serve the Maya culinary art in a unique style. Dining at Yaxche will be a quest into the Mayan World where you will find the flavors of the region in a unique environment that combines both ancient and cosmopolitan elements..
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited Yaxche restaurant on our last night in Playa del Carmen. It came recommended by the concierge at our hotel as having the best traditional Mexican/Mayan cuisine. The food was beyond plentiful and was deliciously tastey. The pina coladas were AMAZING -- by far the best we had during our trip -- although they were on the pricey side. The atmosphere was nice, but perhaps a little bit too casual. Our only real complaint was that we had bottled water served to the table which was on the mildly warm side, so we asked for two glasses of ice -- they brought one glass of ice but never the second glass in spite of the fact that we asked a second and third time. Now this may be because a party of 18 people showed up seemingly without a reservation, and all the staff suddenly became overwhelmed moving tables and chairs and such to quickly accomodate this large party. So, we wouldn't hold it against them. All in all, we had a very nice experience and would surely go back.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We ate at a lot of restaurants, most of which I can't remember the names and almost all just mediocre food. This place was the best. Great quality, flavourful and worth the price. The service was great and the atmosphere was excellent. If you are looking for a huge plate of your typical mexican style food, then this is not the place for you. If you want quality and don't mind smaller portions and food that had care and time put into it, then try this place out.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The food here was mediocre at best. Went on the recommendation of the hotel concierge that this place had the best local Mayan cuisine but I was not impressed by anything that I ate there.
I had crispy duck tacos, that were not crispy and then my main was a shrimp fajita that was lack lustre as well. Served with the same soft and almost soggy corn shell. The best thing I had there was the margerita. I was also seated outside with a lovely view of the souvenir shop across the street.
I am sure there are much better restaurants in Playa.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This place was in fact memorable for us as it was one of our last evenings out in Playa del Carman. The menu was a bit steep, and we should have checked the drink prices more closely as the margaritas were WAY OVERPRICED - at $15 US!!! (They weren't on the menu, which is kind of sneaky - and the worst margarita of our trip - boo!) They revitalized that downer by taking our photos and putting it on a bottle of tequila - cute - also STEEP selling at $30 for a micky. Would I go back? Probably not, as we found so many other yummy places with great ambiance, food, service and margaritas. I must note - our service WAS EXCELLENT. I chose a MAYAN authentic dish, and it seemed just that! (Big portions too!)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had always wanted to try Mayan cuisine and after our sixth visit to Playa the opportunity finale came. I have to say we were not impressed at all. We started ok with the appetizer (sampler) but when the waiter's recommendation came (shredded pork) it was dissapointing. The pork was dry. My husband had a dish with lobster and he did not like the flavor or texture of his dish. So much so that we decided to skip desert because we did not want to waste our desert for the night. We won't be back nor do we recommend this restaurant.