“Wonderful restaurant with great food combinations.”
Review of Yaxche Maya Cuisine - CLOSED

Yaxche Maya Cuisine
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Yaxche (pronounced jag-shey) Maya cuisine restaurant is located in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We serve the Maya culinary art in a unique style. Dining at Yaxche will be a quest into the Mayan World where you will find the flavors of the region in a unique environment that combines both ancient and cosmopolitan elements..
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been returning to this restaurant for a few years. I continue to like a lot their Mayan recipes.
They have also added a few vegetarian dishes which were excellent. The Margaritas were excellent, but quite strong compared to your average gringo version, so beware!
The service was fast, attentive and friendly.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were excited to return to this restaurant after having a great experience three years ago. This time, it was an awful experience. The food was not Mayan and I could've done a better job at home. The service was slow and not very helpful. We will not be returning especially since there are so many other wonderful restaurants.

1  Thank IdahoBeachgirl
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We ate outside and enjoyed the atmosphere along 5th. There are many interesting options on the menu and we enjoyed our food (steak and duck). The service was good.

Prices are what you would expect from the set up of the place (i.e. a long established restaurant in a popular tourist spot) and value for money is fine. You can obviously find Mexican food in Playa much cheaper but then if that's what you are looking for Yaxche would be an odd choice.

It is not Michelin star food but that's not what its aiming for and overall this is a good place to experience Mexican food that blends the traditional and modern adding local Mayan touches to get a tasty result.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The place looks very nice, and the staff are very welcoming. The food has some questionable combinations, but the Arrechera steak is delicious. The overall atmosphere distracts from the good, but not brilliant, food

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband & I really enjoyed the food/atmosphere at Yaxache. We ordered the chicken tortilla soup which was probably the tastiest I've ever experienced. I ordered the chicken fajitas for my meal and they were delicious--full of interesting flavors.

The prices were a little expensive for Mexican food but the food and service exceeded our expectations.

I would return on my next visit.