“Pleasant surprise”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Esquina Calle 12
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

We kind of stumbled in after walking almost to the end of the 5th street strip. Italian food. The owner is Milanese. Well located and great people watching spot. The waiters greeted us with some wine and appetizers on the house and it got even better from there. We all had the seafood soup and shared the grilled octopus appetizer while the kids had gnocchi and spaghetti. The food was outstanding, not too heavy and very tasty. The decor and ambiance are great-obviously a lot of money spent but not pretentious. Then it was topped off with some cookies on the house. We would all go back, even the kids.

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Pros - excellent, kind servers, very thorough, went above and beyond with service. Delicious food, and I'm not a seafood person. I had seared tuna - it was great! Husband is more daring. He had a combo platter of octopus, mussels, lobster and shrimp. Both meals with a glass of wine - $90.00.

Cons - $90.00 for us is considered a very special dinner out. I would have hoped for a more relaxing atmosphere. We were seated outside on a side street intersection on 5th ave under a stop sign/next to old pedal bikes/marketing flyers. A mariachi band (not affiliated with the restaurant) approached us while eating, played a song, and stood there afterwards wanting money. At this point we were run I g low on cash- so it was annoying. They said $10 and weren't leaving. Not the type of atmosphere that is relaxing or classy. That being said, it's Mexico. Prepare to be hustled. This wasn't the restaurants fault, but they should tell the band to not harass the customers.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The service at this restaurant was the best we had in Playa. The servers were attentive and helpful.

However, I definitely agree with the review that highlighted the food as bland overall. I am actually surprised to read that so many people liked the food. Perhaps we had a different cook than most?

I ordered the scallops appetizer (because I love scallops) and even asked the waiter if they were good. He said yes, and they came out wrapped in Parma ham and so undercooked I couldn't eat half of them. Also, the sauce they came with was a brownish gray and didn't taste like anything. Not sure what it was... Luckily, I also got a small mixed green salad and that was fine, but not great.

My husband had a lobster pasta and he said it was fine but again, overall flavorless.

We ordered dessert simply because I was still hungry after not being able to eat part of my meal and the chocolate cake was good.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

This place has great food and excellent service. If you don't want to deal with mariachi's, ask for a table off of the street. Everything we ordered was delicious.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

First, I want to be sure that I am clear on one point: the service at the Glass Bar was exemplary. Our server and the rest of the service team were respectful, polite, and attended to every step that makes fine dinng special.

Unfortunately, the food simply did not measure up. I ordered the roasted grouper in asparagus cream sauce with clams, onions, and tomatoes. The fish was a bit overcooked but woefully underseasoned. Thus it was dry and lacked any substantial flavor. Likewise, the clams were a bit over, but clams are delicate and a bit over means a lot chewy. The asaragus sauce somehow didn't taste of asparagus or much else. This is a dish I would forget by tomorrow were it not that I paid 280MXP for it.

My date had the lasagne. The top layer was hard and burned in places, another overcooked dish. It was heavy on the meat and light on the cheese compared to what I am used to. Nothing otherwise wrong, but also nothing impressive to balance the fact that it was poorly prepared.

The complimentary wine was a nice touch, but far too sweet for my taste. The amuse bouche was cheese wrapped in potato in a mustard sauce. It was bland, the potato starchy, altogether forgettable.

By the end of our entrees we were not interested in dessert, but our server brought a plate of tiny cookies. I feel awful critiquing complementary food, I really do. However, I think it's worth noting when it would have been better to have nothing at all. The cookies were dry and two of the three I tried were nearly flavorless. The merengues were nice, but sadly too little, too late.

The Glass Bar tries very hard to be Italian fine dining and in atmosphere and service, especially in service, it succeeds. However, there are just too many options in Playa to offer mediocre, bland, overcooked food, especially at the Glass Bar's price points. This was meant to be our fancy splurge dinner of an otherwise Spartan vacation and I truly regret that our most expensive meal was also the most disappointing.

1  Thank Johnny B