“Good food, fun atmosphere!”
Review of Pez Vela

Pez Vela
Ranked #155 of 1,287 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good food, fun atmosphere!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went twice to Pez Vela for dinner with friends during our vacation to Mexico. Both times, the waiters were courteous, efficient, and friendly--they speak in both English and Spanish and there are also menus for Spanish speakers and English speakers. We did not need to make a reservation, but if you want to sit at the bar (where you can sit on swings which is kind of cool), there's no guarantee you will get a seat. The prices are extremely reasonable and there are many options for everyone to choose from. We ordered a variety of food including beef fajitas, garlic fish (if you love garlic, get this- too garlicky for me), FISH TKIN-XIT (a white fish with red mayan flavoring-I HIGHLY recommend it!!), french fries, chicken fingers, fruit salad (which looked more like a giant plate of fruit-not mixed together but sitting next to each other), and the NY ribeye steak. Everyone was really pleased with the food- the sides of mixed veggies and rice were also tasty. They will easily substitute rice with french fries if you ask. The drinks are also reasonably priced. You receive complimentary chips and salsa- the green salsa is extremely hot! If you are a fan of sports, there are a lot of big screen tv's where you can watch the game (a lot of american games including Red Sox, Yankees, etc). We stayed only on the downstairs part, but there is an upstairs to the restaurant. If you sit inside- it's an open air restaurant, but they do have fans because it does get hot. You can also sit at tables outside and watch all the tourists walking by on the busy street. You have to park elsewhere and walk to the restaurant. The restaurant is handicapped accessible. When you get the bill, there is a tip included that goes to the chefs, but you still need to leave a separate tip for the waiters. One other thing is that if you want a souvenir, the servers will take a picture of your group and put it on a tequila bottle and you can buy it for around $25. We didn't do that. Overall, it was a good time and I'd go again!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Katie M

• Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Swing by for a drink”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I went on vacation to Playa del Carmen, before our trip I did some research on some bars,restaurants, etc to know what to check out and what not to check out. Well Pez Vela was one on the list to check out. First of love, love the swings in the bar, my husband had a long island and I had a mai tai, they were both so good! I ordered the Shrimp Ceviche (I had read other reviews and it said they had the best ceviche) and Holy Moly it was like heaven, it was so freaking good, if there weren't so many people around I probably would of licked the plate clean! My husband had the chicken nachos and they were very good as well. Nothing compared to my ceviche though! I highly recommend swinging by there. The only "bad" about this place is that the bartender wasn't very friendly, he actually seemed very stand of-ish.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank sandy A
“Awesome place”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Number one, cool atmosphere, love the swing seats, had amazing frozen mojitos, and the mushroom quesadilla's

Visited July 2013
3 Thank rdh_1_kar
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Customer Service. Very nice wedding dinner.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Pez Vela the evening before our wedding. We had thought that we had a restaurant in order for our wedding dinner, but that fell through. Pepe & Jose came to our rescue and in 24 hours they had a decorated space for 24 people, complete with a personalized menu and a band. The price was very economical. We could not have been more pleased with them. The restaurant is right off 5th Avenue, but there was a space upstairs for us that was a bit more private and allowed us to enjoy the atmosphere of downtown Playa. We are now glad that our original plans fell through because we don't think the dinner could have gone any better.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank kcmodude
Preciado2013, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Pez Vela, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Chris & Liza we thank you for choosing Pez Vela as your wedding venue in Playa Del Carmen, We are pleased that we were able to be an important part of your wedding and we are looking forward to see you on a near future!!

Pepe
Derby, United Kingdom
“snacks and a beer”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

easy place to grab a beer or cocktail. Friendly staff. Good place to have a snack lunch like a burger and chips. Like most places they ask if you want a picture for their restaurant for free and add it to a tequila bottle (which you may want to buy) we did on one occasion as a nice touch to the holiday

Visited June 2013