“Great Breakfast”

Ranked #164 of 1,397 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had breakfast every morning during our week stay in PDC. GREAT chiliquilles (regular and Mayan), Chorizo Omlet was quite tasty, and the salsas were fresh and spicy!!! The staff provided great service and were very friendly and helpful. Best location for people watching as well. Didn't try for other meals but for breakfast a must try.

2  Thank redartst

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stop here every time we are in Playa - love the atmosphere, the swing bar, the cold beer, the music, and always meet interesting people sitting around the bar. The food is pretty good as well!

2  Thank UNCchris
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in Playacar at an all inclusive but hardly ever ate there mainly because I could not get enough of the food at the Pez Vela! I had some wonderful meals and drinks including some of the best Fajitas around, a Steak that was to die for and freshest Guacamole ever. My wife and I loved the Pina Coladas too!
The service was always with a smile and quick and nothing was ever too much trouble.
Do not listen to bad reviews. The fact that every time I went back on each the 7 occasions and I saw at least one other group I had seen previously says a lot to me about the quality of the place. I would highly recommend the Pez Vela. I'm going back in August to Mexico and I will definitely be calling in for some great food, music and company. Get there and have fun. You won't be disappointed!

2  Thank Karl18
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are reading this review, you should also read the review from March 9 by MizzouMike. My wife and I had a very similar experience to his. We were enjoying our meal at Pez Vela when this guy, Cesar Garcia, came up to our table and started a friendly conversation. He claimed he was a manager at the restaurant which we believed because I had seen him at a desk in the back of the restaurant talking with the staff. He was very friendly, telling us how he recently married a woman from the US and "oh, what a coincidence", she was from the same state we are from. By this time, we felt at ease with him and he asked to sit down and talk to us about something. Even though he told us he worked for the restaurant, I still verified that with the waiter. We didn't think a manager of the restaurant would risk losing his job by conning us so we listened to his sales pitch, which we totally fell for. As MizzouMike said, Cesar is one of the best con men I've ever run into. This happened on Friday, Feb 22 and we were going to be in Playa for another 7 days. Two days later we realized that Cesar had conned us out of $320 U.S. cash in addition to a promise of free massages and a future free meal at Pez Vela. After realizing we were conned, I went back to Pez Vela every day until we left, trying to get our money. Each time I was able to find him, he had an excuse, but promised he'd have it for me "tomorrow". ONCE HE EVEN THREATENED ME. He took off his shirt, showed off his muscles and tattooed body, said he had been in prison for 5 years, and told me that Mexicans knew how to defend themselves. I was a little concerned because he knew where we were staying, but I still went back each day trying to get our money. Over that time he did return some of our money, so when we left, he still owed us $120 plus the massages and meal. The money was important to us, bet even worse was the dark cloud he had put over our vacation. On my final vist back to Pez Vela, I found out there are actually two Cesars there. One is the real manager and the other is the con man, Cesar Garcia, who rents a small space from the restaurant. The space is inside the restaurant. This allows him to appear as though he works there and makes it easier for him to con the patrons. On the day I found this out, Cesar (the real manager) wasn't there so I asked for the owner. I was given the name of Richard Sykes who I have tried contacting to tell my story and to get Cesar Garcia kicked out. My phone calls haven't been returned, so I decided to put this on TripAdvisor to warn others.

3  Thank the-oz
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Please make sure you watch you bill here as they will try and rip you off. I have experienced this several times in the past and I went again March 11th and the bartender working that night has been there for year. I ordered a Sol and 1 shot and he tried to charge me $17 for this. When I questioned him he got very defensive and said that he would pay for it out of his own pocket- NO WHERE in Playa will you pay that much for one beer and one shot-this was while we where sitting on the swings. We then moved to a table and ordered 4 beers-the waiter brought us the tab and it was $17 we have him a $20 and he NEVER brought us our change-when we asked him he said he didnt remember us- this is POOR SERVICE and I will tell everyone I know NOT to visit this establishment no matter how fun the swings are-its not worth getting ripped off every time you go.

3  Thank sweetmelissamn