“Great place for a relaxing vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Hacienda Tres Rios
Ranked #61 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Iowa
“Great place for a relaxing vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed at the Hacienda Tres Rios Resort for 5 days, arriving on April 26th. It is about a 30-40 minute ride from the airport to the resort. For a little background, in the Cancun area we have stayed at the Moon Palace and the Excellence Playa. Tres Rios is in the same class as those and there are things I liked more at other places, more at Tres Rios. The resort is operating with only 175 rooms open (out of 275) we were told, and any construction that was still going on was not noticeable. There were maybe 200 people staying at the resort. Most were without kids – there were maybe 10 children at the resort who seemed to be having fun. We were there during the initial reports of the Swine Flu outbreak which may have been while more people weren’t at the resort.

Upon arriving at the resort around 1:00, we were told our room wouldn’t be available until 3:00, which we were expecting. We went to the outside grill and had a very nice lunch and beers. At 3:00 our room was ready and the bags arrived shortly afterwards. The rooms are just like the pictures. We had a basic room without a Jacuzzi – all rooms have a balcony. The tiled shower was nice. The bed was very comfortable along with the linens. Every room, from what I could tell would have a view of the ocean. Ours was on the top floor and we could see all pools and had a great view of the ocean.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants except we didn’t have the opportunity to eat at the Italian Restaurant. Our favorite was probably the Asian Restaurant. For lunch, we usually had one of the fabulous pizza and then later grabbed a few snacks at the Grill. I normally don’t like guacamole but it was great there and we had it everyday.

The spa was ok – the massages were great but I think they still are in a temporary location.

We always went to the pool closest to the ocean. You didn’t need to worry about getting down there early to put a towel out. There were empty chairs and umbrellas everywhere. It was definitely a relaxing atmosphere. They had a temporary bar setup by this pool (the Grill was the bar by the other pool) and servers were walking around. Most of the time, the service at the pool was good. We were told they would eventually be putting in a pool bar which would be an excellent addition.

They had nightly entertainment….a casino night, fire show, Mayan night, etc. They were entertaining. The Cenotes, Kayaking, and other activities are worth the time and something you would normally pay for at other resorts.

They had Absolute, Absolute Mandarin and Stolichnaya Vodka, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels, and many brands of Tequila to drink. Dos Equis and Tecate were the beers I had. I didn’t see any Captain Morgan’s but they had Jamaican Rum.

It wasn’t a “party” spot so if that is what you want I wouldn’t recommend the place, but if you want a relaxing resort, very good food for an AI, nice rooms with the best service, you can’t go wrong with Tres Rios. As others said, Oscar the head chef is everywhere all the time. The staff picks up on his service and seems to feed off of him.

6 Thank hawkeyesIA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
Beverly Hills, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

I must say that I use Trip Advisor as my bible before booking any trip. I tried to do research on this hotel- and gave it a shot because it was CHEAP!!!! Ill let you make your own judgements:

Hotel: the building itself is new and nice. Rooms are clean and ALL ROOMS face the water to no need for an upgrade. Some rooms have jacuzzi on the patio/balcony. All rooms have flat screens and minibar. There was "open bathroom" no door- found this odd.
Food: Flavorless and non seasoned. All the food tasted the same. The staff tried to make food "special for you" - but it still tasted the same- FROZEN and BLAND. It bills that it has an Italian resturant - (open a couple days per week in the space that it shares with other concepts) and Asian Fusion restaurant ( again open a couple days a weeks only)- Buffet for breakfast (where the "chef" is never there to make you an omelet) - lunch where the same foods all week are again presented over and over - and Dinner where same foods are. Variety is poor and quality in each venue is frozen and bland.

Service: adequate and inconsistent at best. Attempts are made to make you feel special -AFTER issues have arisen. Rather then reacting, proactive good service should be the standard. Warning- if you happen to tip you will be followed around the property by staff because they know you tip.

Activities and beach: there is activity staff that come to Tres Rios each day- I assume they are volunteers because they are young men who then proceed to talk to young ladies staff and guest alike and are rarely seen organizing activities at the pool or the beach. It is difficulty to have activities at the beach as the water is brown, filled with seaweed, and not suitable for swimming. The beach is filled with seaweed and men are there all day long trying to clean beach- but never successfully. Perhaps the management fould borrow the machines that are used by the REAL LUXE all inclusives down the beach to the south to keep their beaches cleaned. When management is asked- you are told in a condescending way that there is a reef that causes seaweed- well I understand that- but if you look at the brochures and online marketing of Tres Rios you see turquois waters - I wonder what happened there? In any event, there is a 40 minute Mayan show on Mondays and a 40 minute Fire show on Tuesdays- after those shows-----NADA-----nothing--------not a DJ or band, NOTHING. I would have thought with the remoteness of this property- a shuttle to Playa De Carmen a few times daily and perhaps even to Cancun would be a great thing- because- THERE IS NOTHING TO DO at the resort!!!!

MAnagement: there are time share sales people and people that they are touring around the properly CONTINUALLY. ALso, management responds uniquely to guest complaints- they ask them if the want to leave. I watched a manager ask a guest if they wanted to leave because of the complaints that were brought to management. I have never seen such a thing. My wife and I were appalled.

IF you are looking for a nice room but basically nothing else but free booze- then this is your place. Otherwise - perhaps another choice would be advised

5 Thank TravelorConrad
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

Unfortunately we only stayed in this hotel one night. We stayed in Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda, Blue Bay messed up our conference room reservations so we all had to move out of the hotel for our last night.

From the moment you walk into this hotel it is pure luxury. I love the rooms, the food, the pools, the waitstaff, everything. Check-in was a breeze and pleasant. My only complaint that I had is the hairdryer in the room - it does not have enough power to do a good blow dry.

I would love to go back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank vlakvark
Everywhere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

If you are adventurous and love to eat well then Hacienda Tres Rios is a very good place to holiday.

We got a very good promotional rate through orbits.com for ten days and loved everything the hotel Hacienda had to offer with a few exceptions. Before we took our trip the question for us and many travelers how is the beach by the hotel, by the reviews I could not understand if it was swimmable. The beach in the front of the hotel is very upsetting it has a reef which brings in lots of seaweed and other debris and is not pleasant at all for swimming. There where people cleaning all this dirt all day long. But if you walk along the beach coast line for about five minutes the water is great to swim with blue water and white sand. One of the impressing parts of the beach is the beds they have situated along the property; they are the best looking beds in all of Riviera Maya stretch and very luxurious and comfortable. I am not a big lover of tanning but I laid out every morning enjoyed the sun and fresh wind.

We arrived at the hotel late and our room that we requested a suite with a king size bed was not available, my husband was upset do to he had called a day prior to confirm the reservation. The front desk was so accommodating they gave us an upgrade without any questions, our room a suite was on the third floor with a Jacuzzi on the balcony and an amazing view which every morning we watched the sun come up. The next day we meet Hector the hotels PR who is great he sent us a bottle of champagne and was very accommodating with any question we had, but the main man in Tres Rios is Oscar the head chef I think he works 24 hours we saw him morning and night socializing and preparing great dishes for the hotel guests. The food is very good from the morning breakfast to lunch and dinner we enjoyed every meal. We live in NYC and are very spoiled with the variety of gourmet food we have, but for an all inclusive I was very surprised; everything is fresh with quality and good variety. Try the rib eye steak on Mondays barbecue and the Italian black ink risotto in the main restaurant. They also have seafood barbecue on Thursday; we had lobster and big shrimp for which my husband enjoyed but a bit dry for me. The Mexican food was just OK a bit boring. There are a great variety of drinks, frozen or on the rocks everything is good you won’t be disappointed. The staff is superb anything we asked of they accommodated, very friendly and well trained from the hotel on service and professionalism

Hacienda offers fun tours on their property with your stay, like the jaguar tour, it includes kayaking, snorkeling in the senotes and sightseeing either with bikes or walking. My husband swam in the senotes which he described amazing life in the water below, while I enjoyed the scenery. We rented a car right from the property (bargain the price) and went to see the ruins of the Mayans in Tulum, beautiful torques beaches in Cancun and the fifth avenue of Playa del Carmen all in a day’s trip and had an amazing time shopping sightseeing and swimming. Hacienda Tres Rios is a private place with evening shows like the Sunday welcome party with Mexican food and music, nicely set up with lots of margaritas and entertainment. Do not miss the Mayan show on Monday, very well done and the OK fire show on Tuesday. Wednesday they have casino night which you play with funny money and have an auction for bottles of tequila for which my husband had won. HURRAY!!

Overall Great Service, Good food, Good location, Good entertainment, Bad beach.

We would stay at this resort again.

3 Thank weknowitall
Mexico City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

Beatiful beach, very good rooms, clean, staff is always helpful, the food is marvelous and the ecopark great. The pizzas at the pool are more than great. Go there and enjoy yourself! Also had a good shop with good cigars

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frdva
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

First to set conext, we live in the NY metro area and are a well-traveled family with kids, 11, 8 and 6; we've been to Cabo, AZ, FL, CA, NY, IL, NH and so on. All in all, this is a first class resort that deserves 5 stars but is a few minor tweaks and months from getting there.

The property: beautiful and sprawling with the perfect balance of resort accomodations and eco-friendly preservation. The hotel features are grand yet tasteful, the rooms are large and well appointed with flat screen TV, DVD player, well-stocked fridge and wonderful linens! All with a beautiful ocean view. My only comment is with the beach, which we had read about before visiting. Yes, the ocean is murky and needs some serious care to restore the true blue tropical lustre that you have in Cabo, Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. The sand itself is gorgeous and well maintained with the big comfy beds on the beach. Over the 7 days, we never went in the ocean at the resort but did go in at Tulum and while visiting the Sunset Fisherman in PDC.

The people: Head Chef Oscar runs the show; charming, personable and in command, he is a real treat! It's his staff and service that is solid and makes the resort a real gem! Everyone went out of their way to answer questions, accomodate our requests and make us feel at home. While service is slower than US standards, remember you are on vacation in Mexico, so just go with the flow and order two drinks at a time.

The food: Back to Oscar; he exceeded our expectations!! A solid line up of options throughout the day including a gourmet Mexican and Italian restaurant, buffet, poolside grill, wood fire pizza oven and 24/7 room service! We ate at every location, tried practically everything and were extremely statisifed with each meal. . . you may want to prepare yourself for the crickets though.

Entertainment: While the property is still young, less than 6 months old and only about 60% complete the property was quiet and tranquil during the day and the evening entertainment was well planned and wonderfully executed. With a Sunday evening Mexican Dinner show, Monday Mayan History show, strolling Maraichis, Kareoke and Magician there was always something going on.

We can't wait to see how much better it will be next year!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank nnjtriguy
yennie80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

First let me start off by saying that this resort was one of the best that I've been too. Everything was excellent.

Cons: 1) RCI told me that the place was new; however, by the time I went with my friends that everything would have been completed. The reality is that it was still under construction so many of the restaurants were not completed yet and neither were some of the other activities that they eventually plan on offering (e.g. zipline). 2) This was not a con for me but for some people it would be. This resort is primarily a private club. Its not a spring break destination. If you want a nice relaxing place with excellent services then this is the place for you. If you want to go with your friends, hook up and act stupid, then this is not the place for you. 3) All inclusive price. For non-members it was high if your on a budget. 4) Ocean - due to the past hurricane as well as the current construction the water was not as clear as some other areas; however, please see my comments in the pro section for more details.

Pros: NOTE: Even though there was construction you never really heard any noise during the day. An occasional banging here and there but nothing to distrubing that it would ruin the atmosphere. 1) The food - as good as any restaurant in a five star hotel in NYC. You could even order food that was not on the menu (for those picky eaters) and they had 24 hour room service (included in the all inclusive price) 2) Amazing staff personel. Everyone was very attentive and they couldn't do enough for you. 3) Rooms were very clean. Beds were sooooooooooooooooooo comfortable and you were offered a choice of 5 different types of pillows. Flat screen TV and DVD players in every room. Safe in the room was big enough to hold lots of personal belongings. Mini fridge that was stocked every day and if you wanted something specific all you had to do was request it. Turn down service every night was also a nice feature which included a different type of mexican candy on your pillow. 4) Head chef - this had to be a separate category. Chef Oscar was great! He was alwasy available throughout the day. He made you feel welcome and in many instances he went out of his way to make sure you were happy. 5) Entertainment - the theater is still under construction; however, at night different shows and performers were brought in to entertain the guests (e.g. fire throwers, mayan dancers, bands, etc....). They also had a casino night, sports bar, karaoke, etc..). Throughout the day they also offered snorkeling tours on the ground of the resort to their different natural senotes, a bike tour and non- motorized sports (e.g. soccer, volleyball, etc...). 6) Transportation - this resort is about 30 mintues from playa del carmen; however, they offered 6 shuttles that ran until 5pm for free. you could go all day and explore. If you wanted to stay later a cab ride back to the hotel cost around $15 - 20 dollars including tip. 7) Kids club - babysitting service. I didn't use it but many of the people I met did. 8) Pools and beach - excellent. Ocean water was a little cloudy; however, this resort is in an ecological preserve. The resort was built above the natural habitat in order to preserve the area (the resort also has a nursery where they grow new plants that were destroyed from the hurricane). The natural senotes flow into the ocean and the resort has been trying to regulate the water flow. The water was a little cloudy because of the run off from the senotes and the new construction; however, it was still beautiful and you were able to swim. 9) SPA - awesome massages :) 10) gym - nice size and a decent amount of machines. Will be bigger once the construction is complete.
11) Free high speed internet in the cafe

Overall it was a fantastic experience and I am already planning my trip for next year. One recommendation I would have for people staying at any all inclusive is this.... don't forget to tip the people who serve you. A few dollars goes a very long way and by the second day of my trip the staff new my name and they brought my party drinks before anyone else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends