We stayed at the Hacienda Tres Rios Resort for 5 days, arriving on April 26th. It is about a 30-40 minute ride from the airport to the resort. For a little background, in the Cancun area we have stayed at the Moon Palace and the Excellence Playa. Tres Rios is in the same class as those and there are things I liked more at other places, more at Tres Rios. The resort is operating with only 175 rooms open (out of 275) we were told, and any construction that was still going on was not noticeable. There were maybe 200 people staying at the resort. Most were without kids – there were maybe 10 children at the resort who seemed to be having fun. We were there during the initial reports of the Swine Flu outbreak which may have been while more people weren’t at the resort.
Upon arriving at the resort around 1:00, we were told our room wouldn’t be available until 3:00, which we were expecting. We went to the outside grill and had a very nice lunch and beers. At 3:00 our room was ready and the bags arrived shortly afterwards. The rooms are just like the pictures. We had a basic room without a Jacuzzi – all rooms have a balcony. The tiled shower was nice. The bed was very comfortable along with the linens. Every room, from what I could tell would have a view of the ocean. Ours was on the top floor and we could see all pools and had a great view of the ocean.
We enjoyed all of the restaurants except we didn’t have the opportunity to eat at the Italian Restaurant. Our favorite was probably the Asian Restaurant. For lunch, we usually had one of the fabulous pizza and then later grabbed a few snacks at the Grill. I normally don’t like guacamole but it was great there and we had it everyday.
The spa was ok – the massages were great but I think they still are in a temporary location.
We always went to the pool closest to the ocean. You didn’t need to worry about getting down there early to put a towel out. There were empty chairs and umbrellas everywhere. It was definitely a relaxing atmosphere. They had a temporary bar setup by this pool (the Grill was the bar by the other pool) and servers were walking around. Most of the time, the service at the pool was good. We were told they would eventually be putting in a pool bar which would be an excellent addition.
They had nightly entertainment….a casino night, fire show, Mayan night, etc. They were entertaining. The Cenotes, Kayaking, and other activities are worth the time and something you would normally pay for at other resorts.
They had Absolute, Absolute Mandarin and Stolichnaya Vodka, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels, and many brands of Tequila to drink. Dos Equis and Tecate were the beers I had. I didn’t see any Captain Morgan’s but they had Jamaican Rum.
It wasn’t a “party” spot so if that is what you want I wouldn’t recommend the place, but if you want a relaxing resort, very good food for an AI, nice rooms with the best service, you can’t go wrong with Tres Rios. As others said, Oscar the head chef is everywhere all the time. The staff picks up on his service and seems to feed off of him.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy and relax in a sustainable tourism luxury development in the Mexican Caribbean, our Spa & Nature Park make it the perfect spot for relaxing while your younger and more adventurous companions explore the beauty of the Riviera Maya within a safe environment such as this award-winning eco-luxury hotel integrated within Tres Ríos Nature Park. Be part of a paradise designed to restore and preserve the natural landscape without sacrificing the comforts and amenities of a five star all-inclusive hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hacienda Tres Rios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Tres Rios Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Tres Rios Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico