“Fantastic vacation ever!!!!”
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Hacienda Tres Rios
Ranked #65 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had just come from the Hacienda Tres Rios at Mayan Riviera when we checked into this hotel. Wow... The HI, 100+ rooms, would have easily fit in the lobby of this place. Very impressive lobby. This tres rios hotel made the Conde Nast traveler magazine, 100 BEST hotels of the WORLD list!!!

Everything was PERFECT. We had a sea-view room, with a good sized porch. Do not settle for less, pay the extra $ as it is definitely worth it.

Food was very good/excellent. Staff was superb. One of the poolside/beachside waiters actually offered to get us the "Sinaloa Chicken", not available at the hotel, but alas, the next day was our last day , and it was his day off, but he pointed us in the right direction. We actually went to "Mercado 28" but the chicken place had already closed....
We will definitely go back again next year!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sofia J
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for you nice comments. We are glad to read you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed the property so much.

We really look forward to your next year's visit, remember your private Mexican retreat awaits for you.

There are newer reviews for Hacienda Tres Rios

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I got married here with our immediate families and a small group of friends (there were 24 of us). We usually stay away from all-inclusives, but we wanted to be in a family friendly place that was reasonably priced so that we wouldn't put too much of a burden on our guests with kids and limited budgets. I have to say the food was EXCELLENT, and the service was absolutely fantastic. The wedding coordinator bent over backwards to make sure we had a choice for photographers, a hair and makeup person, and the site we wanted for our ceremony and reception. She even had back up plans in case the weather didn't cooperate (thankfully we didn't have to use them!) It's the best food I've ever had at a wedding, and our guests seemed to agree. They all said that they received the same amazing service that we did, so it wasn't just because we were bride and groom. The hotel itself is secluded, and in the middle of a state park, so it's far from the hustle and bustle of the "main drag" of Cancun. Very serene locale with lots to do (kayaking, good bike/running path, 45 minutes from Tulum). My husband and I usually like to stay at higher end places and even though this is not a 5-star place, I would definitely stay there again. (I'd say it's 4 star for sure.) Good choices for food, plus liquor was also included. The rooms felt fresh and new, and the views were amazing. It's a good mid-sized place, not too small, not too big. If I remember I think it's about 300 rooms, so not like the behemoth all-inclusives found in other parts of the Mexican Riviera. We keep recommending the place to everyone!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah P

Dear Guest:

Firs of all we would like to thank you for choosing Hacienda Tres Ríos as the starting point of the adventure that you have begun together and for letting us be a part for such a magical moment.

We would love to see you back on your anniversary and invite you to live a Ya’ax Che Spa Experience to relax, refresh your mind, rejuvenate your body, and cleanse your soul. Treating yourself to a number of signature treatments and benefits from both modern spa technology and past Mayan wisdom.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was referred to this resort by some owners that told me it was gorgeous. I am in the timeshare resale business and I would consider myself a seasoned traveler. I would, and I have been deterring friends, family and clients to not go to this resort. My husband & I went to Mexico to celebrate my 40th Birthday. We were there for a week. We had a whole wonderful day planned for my big day which was our 4th day. We had a couples massage and romantic dinner planned. We went out the beach to get a little bit of sun before our massage. We were not out very long. My husband realized he forgot his wallet and wanted to tip our waiter so he went back to the room to get it. Our "SAFE" was broken. They took ALL of our money and my husbands brand new David Yurman Watch that I bought him for Christmas. It was less then 30 days old. What was even worse then getting robbed is how the resort handled the bad situation. The resort made us feel like we staged it. They went all through our stuff. They did notice the patio door lock was broke. Which we had mentioned to our concierge the day before. We were of course on the first floor. We spoke to the customer service Manager who did nothing but say they will be investigating the break in. We got back to the states and they said they would put in an insurance claim. The Director of Operations Alfonso Onate was less then helpful and told us our claim was denied. We apparently didn't qualify. I truly feel this was an inside job and a few people were involved. I probably would have never have written this passage if they would have taken care of us. The only thing they would offer was coming back next year. REALLY!? I feel the right thing to do at a minimum would be to replace the watch. The cash we lost I am not as concerned about but they did NOTHING! Now to read others have been robbed as well is horrifying I wish I would have warned others earlier. Needless to say my spa day never happened and the day was not what I imagined for my 40th Birthday. Tres Rios has opportunities to make it right but they chose to do nothing. If you are considering this resort I would urge you to reconsider.
Michelle Donato

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Michelle D
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I want to be very clear that this is a timeshare/hotel property. Yes they do get you to do the presentation, depending on you it can take some time to get through it and you get tours for doing so. Since I am a timeshare owner at several properties, I've fallen for the spiel. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. Unless you travel alot timeshares are not for you but once you experience one it is really hard to go back to a hotel. One of the properties that I go back every year is sunset fisherman in the same family. This is the first time going to this property. HTR is not near town, huge property with everything you need. I am still young so I like the adventure of going out to see things however I did buy this property with the intention that when I get older this will fit my needs. I love looking at the ocean but don't like being in it. I love the rivers/cenotes that HTR has. There is so much undeveloped land on property to explore. They have classes in kayaking, snorkeling and bicycling and lots of other things to keep you busy -Gerardo, Luis and the MC, the funny girl are the activities team. They had a sense class that was wonderful just a little dirty. Several employees catered to me, Leo at the buffet, Jorge at the grill and my concierge Andriena, Victor pool waiter, Cori hostess, waiter at the mexican restaurant and fiesta (don't remember his name) Pelon. lol Everyone was wonderful and met other wonderful tourist there too new friends Elaine from NJ and the Gribbles from Australia. Bartender at the sports lounge always had my digestive drink Xtabentun. All inclusive property, food was very good. Mosquitos were rampant though. Take your repellent! Had a wonderful time, I will see you all in 2014!!!

Room Tip: The hotel is in a big U shape with all rooms having a somewhat view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. We are glad to read your nice comments and to learn you had such a wonderful time and also that you come regularly to our sister Hotel Sunset Fishermen, and we hope to see you every year here too.

Next time, you visit us remember to ask for the Segway experience, you will love it.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My family traveled to this resort for our vacation this summer (review is over due) and we had an amazing time. The resort was wonderful and the service was 1st class. They really do everything for you. All of the restaurants we went to had a nice variety and the food was great. Our favorite was the Hacienda Grill, but I am not sure if it was the food or the incredible service we received form the staff. Miguel Cutz (apologize if spelled wrong) was simply the best. He treated us as if he was genuinely happy to see us each time we were there. He would even go out of his way to say hello when we would be walking past each day. We loved the resort and would recommend it to anyone considering travel to the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TheCooper5

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your summer experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. We are glad to read you enjoyed the property and gourmet experience as well.

It will be our pleasure to be your host again.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The accomodations are pleasant. You get a whole long rap about the place from a good looking concierge for about an hour before you can even go to your room. Then he offeres you all these discounts if you go on a 3+ hour tour with some smooth talking Canadian salesperson. My parents wanted to end the talk after one hour and all our supposed "discounts" were taken away.

The beach is like Coney Island in NYC. You have to go by shuttle to the nice beach, 20 minutes away. There literally is NO room service. Nobody answers. Whatever you do, unless you are 19 and want to get totally trashed on tequila shots, and even then I don't recommend it , go to this show that they tout as better than Las Vegas, called Coco Bongo!!! Seriously, it is a nightmare!!!! You can't hear the presentations and if you have even a modicum of fear of crowds you will have an anxiety attack!

Food is good at Italian and Mexican restaurants. Asian restaruant was awful. Half hour to get our drinks and very cold food for all 3 of us. They have overextended themselves and you should look elsewhere, probably closer to the actual Playa del Carmen with the nice beach if you want to come to this area of Mexico.

Room Tip: Don't come here unless all you want to do is hang out at the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our stay was pleasant, the accommodations were very nice, the food delicious, plentiful and the drinks never ending. The sales pitch was relentless and we unfortunately signed for a contract that stressed our budget and was unwieldy. We complied with paragraph 12, "Early Termination of the Contract", mailed the certified letter to the office in Miami within the 5 business days and got stonewalled for months with continuous offers for different programs and transfered to one office after another with weeks of delay between responses. Finally, on 2 July 2012, Mr. Ray Rubio from the legal department emailed us to say our reimbursement was being made and to expect a refund in 3-4 business days. That refund has never arrived. Citibank, on whose card we charged the fee, declined to take up our cause because they said we did not log a claim until beyond their 60-90 day period. When told that we were being lead down the primrose path by HTR with one delay after the other, trying to resolve this within HTR, this did nothing to change their position. So be very careful. HTR does not honor the terms of their contract when it comes to "Early Termination". I would not trust them otherwise with anything else they put in writing. Our next course of action is to log a complaint the Florida State Attorney General for mail fraud.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple