“Wonderful!”

Ranked #61 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
St. Louis
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at Hacienda Tres Rios. What a beautiful resort! This is a time-share type of resort compared to others that just do all-inclusive. We were not part of the time share membership. When we arrived, we were told our room was ready, but we needed to talk to someone to explain the resort. I told them we were not interested in the time share, but we still had to go through a short dog and pony show (about five minutes) in which I again told them we were not interested. They did not press on. We were then taken to our room which was in building four and on the mangrove side. We could still see and hear the ocean from our room. The room was very nice and the bed was amazing with its feather bed topper. The resort is very laid back and since we went over spring break, we couldn't tell it was spring break! This may not be good for people wanting a more party atmosphere, but we loved it! Very relaxing. The beach is not all that pretty, but we spend most of our time around pools when we vacation, so that was not an issue. As for the food-outstanding! The drinks-sub par. There's some top shelf liquor, but it's hard to find. All of the staff members were very friendly and helpful. The public restrooms were cleaned about every hour, which was really nice, especially in the pool area. I was really looking forward to kayaking and snorkeling in the rivers, but this had to be done through one of the tours (free of charge but you had to sign up in advance). Also wanted to go biking, but again, through a tour and they booked up before we could make a reservation. Not sure with this being an "eco friendly" resort why they don't have bikes ready for people to use at their leisure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (999)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2011

this as been my 4 visit to tres rios now! the feeling i have the minute i check in is like visiting family with out the stress... the service provided from all staff members is spectacular! A special Thank you as always to Mr. Samuel Vargas, he is by far the most people caring and it seems that is joy is making sure you experience your dream vacation!!! Samuel makes you feel lik nothing is impossible just the way Las Vegas promotes its city!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank caparelli
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2011

The Haciendas Tres Rios was a vacation to remember. My wife and our friends were treated with high quality service from the time we arrived and met our valet, Orlando. We were introduced to a studio bedroom, the bathroom was huge and the beds luxurious. My wife requested extra pillows and were given orthopedic side sleeping pillows. We had dinner at the Mexican Restaurant with our waiter Armando who was excellent.

The three pools were clean and encircled with palm trees and service was not an issue with our servers, Jorge, Cristan, and Ignacious. All were polite and worked hard to provide excellent service. We had breakfast daily at the pool bar cafe and Claudia ensured service was top quality.

I recommend everyone take advantage of the on sight tours. Mira and Jennifer provided an educational bike tour of the Cenotes and snorkeling down the pristine river of this nature reserve. We venture to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum which were amazing then off to Playa del
Carmen. The Mexican people were friendly and welcoming. The highlight of the vacation was the Secret River Tour, it was an enlightening experience with our guide Pablo.

Have dinner at the chef's table with Chef Oscar it will be an event.

My wife loved that she was part of the ecosystem were a river flowed right out front of our rooms and we could watch the iguanas and our two buddies Pancho and Mauritizio who area cross between a racoon and anteater.

Love it can't wait to return to paradise.

1 Thank 9620
Calabash, North Carolina
Reviewed March 16, 2011

If you read my other recent reviews of Hard Rock Punta Cana and Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya you should probably conclude I’m a fair and balanced reviewer. Doing so with Hacienda Tresrios (HT) will be difficult.
Wife and I are Palace Resort members, which pretty much defines our expected level of resort quality. While I wouldn’t consider us food snobs, we do expect tasty, well presented food and prefer quality over quantity. After reading reviews of HT we went to HT with expectations of a five star experience. We received far less.
First, the resort is nicely laid out. Many rooms face the ocean and in our second floor room we had a great view of the blue sea and all the wonderful pelicans that circled the beach. The maids were excellent, relentlessly working to clean the rooms at a breakneck speed. Ours was especially good and tried hard to meet our schedule and she was grateful for a tip of a mere $2 a day. Beds are very comfortable with clean sheets and duvets.
Booze is a good deal – kind of. The wines at dinner were drinkable and probably were of a better quality and selection than the gratis wines at the Palace Resorts we’ve stayed at and the Valentin. I’m a vodka drinker and prefer quality vodka for taste when neat and for purity when mixed. They have both Stoli and Gray Goose. I was in heaven until I tried to get a drink at the Pool bar/Grill. The short, stout bartender told me he didn’t have either brand on several occasions. As a result I had inferior vodka in my Bloody Mary’s and got a corresponding headache – not good. One day Chef Oscar (more on him later) walked by and remembered me from the tequila tasting that he conducted (very informative – liked it a lot). As we talked I asked him why the Pool/Grill bar was the only bar that didn’t carry a premium vodka. He replied that all bars did and asked the short/stout bartender if he had any. The bartender sheepishly pulled a bottle of Gray Goose from the cooler from where he was hiding it. I was livid and asked the bartender if he hadn’t told me that day that he didn’t have any and he admitted that he had and he subsequently admitted to doing the same thing on other occasions. Chef Oscar gave him some strong sounding words in Spanish and then turned to me and apologized. He told me that their motto is to “never say no”. How I wished it were as true in reality as it was when he said it.
Chef Oscar is a great guy and you will see him all over the grounds day and night checking on the operations. He is sincere and wants to deliver a great dining experience. Unfortunately he can’t get it done by himself and some of the people doing the front line stuff aren’t doing their job. This is where the food review starts.
Room service is fast and the food arrives as you want it - very good. The eggs Benedict, shrimp plates and even the hamburgers are pretty good at the Grill. We had our lobster prepared at the Grill and it was tasty – not like Maine but better than most tails I’ve had. Pizza was tasty first time we had it and inedible the second. Buffet foods are bland and uninteresting. No carving stations or any specialties like most good AI resorts have. There even seems to be a disconnect with something as simple as salad. There were wonderfully fresh frisee greens to make a salad and not a tomato, cucumber or celery nearby to accompany it – what a shame. I do need to mention however, that the people who work at the buffet are excellent and will get you special requests if you ask – I just think having to ask for simple things is a pain.
Calling the Asian restaurant Asian should be against the law. The menu has hints of Asian cuisine but is far from being close to Asian tasting foods. The tuna steak I ordered was served looking like two gray 1/8 inch boneless pork chops and had no taste at all. The Italian restaurant had one or two entrees worth eating but the selection was anemic at best. We only went to the Mexican for lunch and the lunch buffet was better than the one at the main buffet restaurant. Funny thing is that no one tells anybody that the Mexican restaurant is open for lunch and the lack of eater’s results in the same foods being offered the following day. All in all the food is hit and miss and mediocre at best. Every time we thought we had a decent meal the next one just soured us again.
Probably the most disturbing thing about the resort is that the communication is horrible!! The HT website states that the Victory Sports Bar opens daily at 3 PM, however, it opens usually at 5 PM or 12 PM or when there is a meeting or whatever time they want. Go to the desk and the concierge will tell you the bar is open but when you go in the bartender tells you they are closed until 5 PM. Want to watch a game – forget it – “we no have channel changer”. Soccer only most times.
After I inadvertently discovered the Mexican restaurant being open for lunch I told my wife. She went to the concierge to confirm it and he told her it was not open. She asked another time and was told no again even after we ate lunch there. My wife told Chef Oscar and he grabbed the concierge and verified the disconnect. Then there are the different hours and dress codes on the published handouts. I still have them. The handout states casual dress and the website states formal – the places deserve formal as much as a McDonald’s does. One states the place closes at 11 PM and the Spanish one states 8 PM. This is a fundamental breakdown in the resort that is unacceptable. Chef Oscar doesn’t even have responsibility for some of it but there is no one else to speak to. The people at the desk are useless and there are no management people visible.
Getting near the end, a brief word about the Nature Park. Joke. That’s as brief and accurate as I can be. It consists of a dirt road framed by the densest mangroves that prohibit anyone from seeing further than ten feet and not a creature was seen – no iguana’s, coati’s, nada. The cenote is a clear pool of water with suckers swimming on the bottom – no tropical fish – nada. People get out after snorkeling with quizzical looks on their faces – like, why did I do that.
And finally, the Green Experience! They overuse the expression so much that you have to begin to disbelieve them. Then you see things like the Cheech and Chong characters who were driving out of the Nature Park as our tour cart was driving in. In an attempt to get out of our way these guys backed their beat up gas guzzling old pickup truck and in doing so backed into several trees thus skinning off enough bark to probably kill some. They laughed all the time. Then there was the waiter carrying a full tray of thirty or more glasses from one restaurant to another. As he passed the entrance to the resort lobby two or three glasses fell off and shattered on the marble floor. He kept walking and delivered the glasses and then just stepped over the broken glass as he went on to another assignment. There was an area of around twenty square feet just covered with glass shards with little kids running around barefoot. Finally two resort employees came upon the mess and called someone to clean it. One was dressed in black so I thought, like Oscar, he was in management. So I told him what happened and how the area was left with broken glass for several minutes and his eyes just glazed over and he walked away. I don’t see any of this as “Being Responsible” so why would they be responsible to the environment.
That’s how we see it. I’d never go back.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Almost from start to finish this place delivered. From Chef Oscar to the waiters ie: Jesus in the Terrazo sport bar area to Ramon the buffet waiter,to Alphonso the Asian restaurant waiter, to Claudia the pool side restaurant Hostess, everyone was on there game. the service all around in all areas, around the pool, at the wood fired pizza place etc was excellent. Even though they said they were close to full ( hard to believe )there were chairs and umbrellas to be had at any time of day around the pools. The only people that know how to mess up your stay are the time share people. Try to avoid them as much as possible,( believing them is also difficult ) and you will have a great time.
My wife and I did. Will return again to see if they are continuing on with there plans.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Kitscoty, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2011

You really can't complain about anything at Tres Rios. If you're looking for fun, relaxation, good food, quiet rooms with super comfy beds, it's all there. We've had family go for the past three years and wanted to see if it lived up to their compliments!
The food was unbelievable, anything you want, any time of the day. The rooms are clean, comfortable and very large and the staff was so accomodating and friendly with everything we did.
The resort itself is in such a beautiful location. You can swim/snorkel in the cenotes, ocean or the pools. The beaches are cleaned and combed daily and have the most comfortable beds on them to relax on. The night shows are great and the efficiency to get us to our excursions, the airport etc. was impressive.
We will be back with more of our family. Awesome place!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I just came back from the Hacienda Tres Rios in Riviera Maya with my 22 year old daughter and another girlfriend.
The good:
The hotel was immaculate as well as the grounds,
the room was clean and very spacious, the pools were also beautiful and we never had a problem getting chairs at any time of the day,
We enjoyed all of the restaurants and found the food above the standards of an all inclusive, They also used top shelf liquor.
The staff were pleasant and helpful but had some language barriers
The bad:
The hotel had a beautiful large lobby but did not have a nice lobby bar, just a lot of couches. There was a sports bar that had a small door that led to a very small bar area that was in the corner of the lobby and that was it. A lot of people we spoke to were also disappointed at the small bar area. There was very little entertainment at night. We really had nothing to do at night and ended up in our room at 10 or 11 pm every night.
If you are looking for turquoise beach water, this is not the place. The water is a coffee color. We took a cab to the sister hotel The Fisherman in Playa Del Carmen. There the beach was one of the most beautiful I have been to.
So to wrap it up, although I thought the hotel was beautiful I would not return for the above reasons.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends