“Fantastic trip! Improved my Spanish, made great friends, loved the area, staff great - I want to come back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playalingua Dorms

Playalingua Dorms
Playalingua Dorms
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

I really enjoyed my time at Playalingua. Sergio was a great teacher, and really took time to help me with my weaknesses. I agree with some reviews that sometimes lessons had conversation rather than grammar, however that's what I needed. I've been studying Spanish in London for a year at night school and the main thing I needed was confidence to speak! My teacher was prepared for each lesson and even gave me homework! Ha ha! I also loved the fact that it was all under one roof. All the staff were amazing - a real credit to the school. Juan, the breakfast chef, was friendly and made great pancakes and scrammbled eggs! Juanita, the chambermaid, serviced the rooms 6 days a week and always spent time to leave a beautiful towel design on the bed. The garden is watered and pruned daily by Emilo, who is quite shy but nice. The two security guards, Jorge and Abel, were absolutely charming! Chatting everyday, and always on the door (the door is locked at night for security). Caro is lovely - very helpful with information by e-mail, and also offered for me to have dinner with her in case I was alone. Very sweet. Claire helped with tour information too. Every member of the team made my stay even better. I must tell you all that I'm an Operations Manager of a top London hotel in Kensington, so I know what I'm talking about, and I really appreciated the efforts of the team at Playalingua.

Concerning the comments about cancelling early and not receiving a refund - that is standard in most establishments. Playalingua is not a world-wide chain that can afford to dish out refunds. This should be understood. It should also be understood that this is not the Ritz, so don't expect it.

It is true that there is a bar next door which plays loud music, however, it didn't bother me in the slightest. It was just background music to me. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light. Comfortable bed and nice room. (I chose to book a double for sole for more space - only £7 a day difference). The shower takes a couple of minutes to heat up, but that's fine.

As I went during quiet season, there weren't many students, but that was a bonus as I ended up having 4 hours private tuition a day! They could have put us in two classes, but all four of us had our own teacher - that's good. I also made great friends at the school and with a couple of locals. As the area was not packed with tourists, the local workers had time (and the patience) to speak with me. The area is great. The beach is five minutes away, loads of restaurants and places to go. Movies on the beach too. The drinks are pricey in Playa del Carmen - cocktails similar to London prices - but just go to the shop before hand. Great trips like swimming with turtles in Akumal and visiting Chichen Itza available too. I used the Collectivo rather than a taxi - much cheaper and the way the locals travel. If you like fresh fish, eat the tacos at Captain Cameron (on Calle 28, I think?) - they're great!

I really would love to be able to chat away in Spanish (fluently!), and I believe this trip has helped me a great deal toward achieving my goal - more practice needed though! I hope to return soon!

I could write more, but I think that'll do!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
9 Thank Amie_Conway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I'm sincerely amazed to read some negative comments on Playalingua, both as a school and as a hotel. I've been there for four months, with the original plan to spend only few weeks, and i regret that at some point had to come back to real life and get back to Europe.
The school is simply great. All the teachers are nice and friendly, especially if you actually try to learn Spanish! I've been amazed by the cultural richness that Mexico has to offer, and it would have not been so if i hadn't been taught by Playalingua teachers. The staff of the school had been like a second family to me, from the administrative staff to the cleaning ladies. They've been all really nice and supportive to me when i was struggling with my Spanish and much of the reason why i (and many others with me) eventually learned a good Spanish there, is because all the staff enjoy conversing with the students and help them in learning outside class. I noticed that many other students like me became eventually good friends with the staff of the school, having dinner together etc...Much of the reason why i think Playalingua is great is because of its people.
Playalingua is a small Mexican charming building. The location of the school is great, in the perfect centre of Playa del Carmen, seconds away from all the restaurants, bars and also from the beach. The school building is a bijoux, small but extremely beautiful. Sincerely i had no problems with Internet or with my room. I guess, if you would like a suite you should choose some of the big hotels in Cancun. At some point i asked to attach a boxing bag in one room under the roof to do some exercise and the school even allowed me to train there. I don't know how to say it better, but i felt like at home there.
I definitely recommend it to all those who want to experience Mexico and its people. You will not regret it.
Federico

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank flupopasini
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

Some points to considerate:
--> The rooms are OK, but I think you can find better places with better prices..
--> The classes were so DEADLY BORING, I just wanted to kill myself every class..I didnt learned much..The teacher was not prepared..
--> The breakfast was always the same and not good, although the guy that prepared it was very good person..
--> I didnt feel safe there because one day someone tried to open my room.. thanks god I was inside and had locked myself with the internal locks and it was like 7 in the morning. Im a girl and I was alone.. I was definitely freaking out.. They tried to open the door of another girl who was alone in the school but at midnight of the same day.. Very scaring..
The administration didnt do anything about it..VERY DISAPPOINTING! its a place Very unsafe for girls who are traveling alone!
--> I had to return one week earlier and they didnt return one cent of my money.. They said that I can go there and take another week, whenever I want. But i wont return to that school. Just hated it so much..
--> The school is expensive and they dont have good computer or internet access there.. and they charge for it.. a SHAME.
--> The rooms are very noisy because there are some nightclubs nearby!!

Keep looking for other schools!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

The beds are short and built into the structure of the building. If you’re taller than 6’0”, you won’t fit. Trust me. I’m 5’10” and it was a bit tight.

Each week you’ll have a different instructor. They post the schedule on Monday AM and despite what seems organized, there’s all sorts of last minute changes. I found this incredibly frustrating. Just when I was making progress with one instructor and feeling confident, I had a new one. It took 1-2 days for the new instructor to establish what I needed and by then, it was already Wednesday. None the teachers have degrees in teaching and while this isn’t a deal breaker, some had no idea how to teach. I found the quality of instruction to vary considerably As a PhD candidate in Education, I fail to see the pedagogical purpose of the rotating instructors for such beginning students, particularly when there seems to be little use of the “must-buy-book-that-every-instructor-will-use”. We used the book 3x in one month. Waste. Note: I began my courses as a beginnger and ended after one month in the intermediate II level.

For me, I chose to stay here b/c of the free internet. Don’t. The wireless range is only in the front of the building where the office is. If you’re planning on getting on the web from your room, you won’t. Interesting that it’s not on the website.

Originally, I thought the housing and lessons packages were a good deal. I stayed for 1 month and the housing bill was $686 – cheap for my NYC standards. However, several classmates left after one week and found hotels that were very, very nice for $450/month. I was the schmo that stayed because I wanted to roll out of bed and go to class. Trust me – they had really nice rooms. The rooms at PL are a bit prison-like. They’re very very tiny.

For what it’s worth, the woman who seems to run the place – Clare – is a bit odd. She stares at you. Kind of shady. When my bill came, she tried to up the exchange rate by 10%. It was “school policy”. What? Plus, if I were to use a credit card, it would be 2.5% more. Ok, I’d be willing to pay that feed, but +10% on an exchange? What the f? I asked around and it seems that this is highly negotiable. So I waited to pay my bill on the last day of my month there (they weren’t happy – they would have preferred that I pay each week as the week ends) and when the exchange rate was at its lowest. At that point, they just wanted their money so I was able to get the bill charged to my credit card for only +3% from the total (all transactions are in USD).

Bottom line – if you want to really learn Spanish, don’t go here. Find a legitimate, academically-affiliated program elsewhere. This place is full of spring breakers enjoying the last round of college freedom. Quality is inconsistent, students are here for a variety of reasons, many of which don’t have much to do with learning the language well enough beyond asking for a cerveza or a lap dance.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank traveler2234
North America
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

Please do not sign up for classes at Playa Lingua. If you're looking for cheap accommodation in Playa Del Carmen, there are far better options to be found for better prices. The rooms are dirty, unsafe, and if you have a room without bathroom, you'll find that the communal bathrooms are disgusting. During my stay, items were stolen from at least two individuals that I know of, one of them being an ipod. The administration didn't express any concern at these thefts.

The staff has been overcharging for tuition, and the courses were completely useless. The instructors were not qualified, and the classes were very unorganized, basically consisting of the teachers just coming into class and discussing whatever they felt like (and not for conversational purposes, as the lectures were completely one sided and not related to learning the language). I felt that it was about as valuable as watching Spanish television, since there was so little interaction. When any grammar was taught, there was no effort made to ensure that the students had actually learned the material--one or two exercises would be given, and that was the end of it. In addition, the school only had three levels when I arrived, meaning that there were a number of students in classes that were either too easy or too difficult for them, as the school did not want to bother paying more staff members to actually have classes at a variety of levels as they promise.

The staff charges a ridiculous exchange rate when one tries to pay with a credit card (in their favor, of course) and have been incredibly rude to those students who have asked to change courses or for any assistance whatsoever. When one student asked to be refunded her money for one week of accommodation because she would have to leave early (a week that was still one month in the future) the school refused. They also refused to allow her to apply the money that she had paid towards classes. I and the other students who I have spoken to have felt extremely ripped off by Playa Lingua. The school really just seems to be trying to get as much money as they can from their students in the most unethical way, and provide very poor service in return.

I chose PlayaLingua because I had read so many good reviews online, although it appears that the school has really deteriorated since the time of those postings. If you are thinking of taking a language class in Playa Del Carmen, please consider one of the other schools.

• Disliked — Dirty room, unethical credit card charges made by the administration, items stolen from hotel guests, expensive but useless Spanish classes, rude staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JNASmith
Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

I thought that people should know about this inexpensive option in Playa del Carmen right off of 5th ave. At Playalingua language school, the dorm rooms are very cheap and can be as cheap as $25 a night. They're pleasant and have maid service every day as well as a guard monitoring the entrance. You have an option of also paying for courses, private lessons, or nothing at all. We took 2 hours every morning for 5 days and that was plenty. They also had free Spanish review classes 5-7 in the evening. What I liked about this stay was that you got to meet people of all ages studying Spanish and who had been in Playa del Carmen for a while so they knew great places to travel to, places for dinner. The courses and teachers were excellent. And they offered a big breakfast every morning. Just tell Juan how to make your eggs. If you choose to stay here, ask for a room away from the kitchen and with a window facing the courtyard not the street. That would bring down the noise level. And be forewarned that plumbing is such that you can't throw toilet paper in the toilets. You need to leave it in a basket next to the toilet and then the maid cleans the basket every day, A little yucky but a room for 2 for $42 a night makes it worthwhile.

• Liked — learning Spanish, the other travelers, and the rates
  • Disliked — noisiness of the rooms, no teens for my teen to hang with
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank drslamb