“By far the best hotel I've ever stayed in”

Ranked #99 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is the first hotel I've stayed in where I felt like I was at HOME. not in a hotel. The staff were super friendly and the level of service was incredible. We ended up extending our stay by another 3 days.
The cabanas on the water are simply magical, the food is definitely the best I've eaten in Mexico (we've been here 2 months now) and the dinner on the beach was absolutely perfect.
The wifi could have been better, but they are actually building an ethernet connection direct to the hotel from Playa so that issue will be fixed for the next time.
I'll definitely be back within 12 months, and will be bringing the family. In all honesty, I have never felt such at peace after a week in a hotel.
Thank you so much to all the wonderful staff. You are all incredible :)

Room Tip: Make sure you get the dinner on the beach. It will be a magical night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
hotellereve, Public Realations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Matt C.

Thank you for your tripadvisor review, We appreciate you taking the time to post your experience and thank you for your beautiful photos you shared. We will be more than happy to serve you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Le Reve & Spa.

We will be sharing your beautiful Rewiew with our Staff!

Best Regards

Hotel Le Reve & Spa

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Overall: dissatisfied and disappointed by extremely unreliable power and lack of accountability.

We are very easy to please and very low-maintenance. We are expecting our first child and wanted to splurge on our Babymoon. We thought a 7-night stay at $500/night at Le Reve would offer a care-free, relaxing vacation in anticipation of Baby. Sadly, almost did, but not quite.

Staff service was as expected, nothing magical. The food was ordinary; the menu could use more variety.

Our main complaint is over unreliable power. It turns out this basic service is critical in Caribbean latitudes. Power outages were common at Le Reve. We estimated 3-4 times per day for 15-30 minutes at a time, on average, throughout our entire stay. We did not expect this and believe it is important to warn future visitors. The worst was an 8-10 hour outage on a Saturday night (~10:30pm-6am). The outage may have been longer, but we left early-AM for an excursion (non-hotel). During the outage, twice I went to seek the staff for help. Nothing. I learned a generator was out and a smaller one did not have capacity for the load. My 7-month pregnant wife became overheated. Neither of us slept that night in the 80+ F temperatures and high humidity environment. Sure, we could have opened the balcony, but large critters and bugs abounded. It was miserable. We were exhausted making for a miserable Sunday and 1.5 vacation days.

The following morning, we complained. We sought the hotel take responsibility and demonstrate good-faith via some credit or compensation. It was not until our departure that we were told NO compensation would be provided. Zilch. The staff insisted it was not their fault. Really? It most certainly was not our fault! For $500/night you could not guarantee a basic service? Well, then don't charge such an exorbitant rate! Or, at least own it. Show accountability and accept responsibility.

Any comp might have sufficed, such as 1-day all-inclusive meal pass, 1-night credit, spa voucher, etc. we left it up to them. We got nothing. This was a major bummer because such a mundane service totally tarnished what might have been an enchanted Babymoon.

Our second major complaint aligns with many others regarding the incessant, loud construction ruckus. We were woken up by loud hammering and construction noise.

Our third complaint is over the time share sales people which were everywhere from ~8am-3pm. So annoying!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank William S
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week long stay at Le Reve, and it was amazing and so relaxing! We were nervous about the construction and all the bad reviews, and had emailed back and forth with the staff to see if we could cancel our reservation. They did their best to assure us that everything would meet our expectations and sent photos and videos to make us feel more at ease. They also upgraded us to 4 nights in the ocean front bungalows, and provided a food and beverage credit for our troubles. After deciding to stick it out, we arrived on April 6th and were pleasantly surprised to find that the only construction remaining was very minimal and had no effect on our stay.

We did not want to stay in a huge, overcrowded resort (which seem to be the norm in this particular area of Playa Del Carmen), and the peaceful atmosphere at Le Reve was exactly what we needed. We spent our days lounging on the beach, with Ishmael and Roberto bringing us delicious food and drinks with a smile on their face every time! The staff is great and very friendly and accommodating. We got a little tired of the dinner menu and wished that there were more Mexican inspired dishes offered, but other than that the food was great and prepared nicely.

The reviews below are extremely off base-- the rooms are not smelly or old, and are in fact very well maintained from our experience (we stayed in both the beachfront bungalows and the private garden rooms). If you're looking for a sterile hotel room, with a big flat screen TV, brand new appliances, and no character, then this is definitely not the place for you! The beds in the beachfront bungalows are huge and very comfortable, with a romantic canopy covering for added privacy. You can hear the ocean as you fall asleep at night, and the waves crashing on the beach seemed to drown out any "time share" related noises in the morning.

The time share situation is certainly unfortunate, and I will admit that it added an annoying/sleezy feel to the otherwise peaceful atmosphere. The good thing is that the time share people seem to clear out by noonish. I know they have plans to expand the property and convert some of it to a time share, which is sad because I think it will change this adorable boutique hotel in the future. I know they are planning to add another restaurant and about 100 more rooms, but hopefully they can retain elements of the resort as it is now!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah T
hotellereve, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Hannah T,

Thank you for your beautiful rewiew, We will be Sharing your comments with Ishmael and Roberto and our entire staff! for te excellent service they provided to you, we work hard to meet your expectations and provide you a pleasant stay.
We have taken note of your request to add more Mexican Food in our menu,
Thank you again for your feed back, this help us to continue being the top choice of our guests.

we look forward to welcoming you back at Le Reve Hotel & Spa.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We went for my son's wedding. I don't know where to start; everything was bad. I wish that they were honest about what was happening, we found out 15 days before the wedding that the hotel was in rennovation. The beautifull view was almost gone whith a new office building.
They made us pay for all the 26 rooms (the whole hotel) to have exclusivity on the hotel just for the wedding guests.
The prices that they made us pay, were extremely high and they didn't respect the exclusivity, they had sales people and clients all over the hotel.
The rooms were stinky, the sheets and towels, old. The rooms smell like garbage because the huge garbage containers are almost there.
The air conditioners aren't sufficient for the rooms and they leak. The room flooded and the closet, including my clothes were all wet. I stayed for three nights and they didn't do anything about it. I couldn't use the closet.
The rooms are old and not well taking care off.
The owner and manager that were there, did nothing for us.
The reception personel is rude and unpolite. If you have a visitor, they make them sign a voucher, just to let them in and treat them like potential robbers.
The food is good but extremly expensive.
If you're planning to have a good time there..... you wont!!!!
Everything is old, cheap and they don't care about you. My advice; don't go. There are beautiful hotels in the area with more quality and cheaper.
I can't understand how they want to sell the rooms as "time share" if the hotel is falling appart!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Sylviacasali
LeReveHotelandSpas, General Manager at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Madam

Le Reve Hotel & Spa has been certified for more than five years as one of the favorite destination for weddings by many couples who choose to get married at Le Reve.

We are very proud about the opinion about our wedding coordination, service, food and experience many couples have reported about us.

We have hosted weddings since February 22, 2014 all without exception with Fantastic comments about the staff and Management.

I am afraid your comment is bad intentioned since your report does not describe the complete 3 days wedding experiences. It does not describe the effort and service from all Le Reve staff, unfortunately, it seems not to be appreciate.

Your report does not mention the compensation given to the groom, bride and all guest more than 15 days before the wedding date about last minutes changes informed in advanced.

We are very sad to read your testimonial after all Le Reve staff was witnessed of all the fun, love, happiness and unforgettable moments, you and your family and friends experienced during your stay.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We did lots of research and decided on Le Reve Hotel for our honeymoon/vacation. We loved how the hotel was very small and intimate when researching - but we failed to continue to read reviews after booking. We did not have an all inclusive package when we stayed either, so we were expecting to pay for all our meals. We received an email from the concierge approx. 2 weeks before our stay (stayed the last week of March) stating that all construction was completed and there would only be minor changes occurring.

When we got to the hotel, nothing could have been further from the truth. Not only does the hotel no longer look the same as the pictures on their own website or Luxury Link, but they are also changing it into a modern time share. We were woken up each morning at 7am with construction - from hammering to chipping concrete to concrete trucks. If you think going to breakfast would be a good way to get away from the noise, think again. You'll be literally surrounded by time share sales people trying to sell families/couples on the concept. Not exactly the peaceful retreat we had in mind. From there we headed to the beach and tried to relax - but instead got to watch guys in front of our hotel try to sign more people up to hear the timeshare presentations. When lunch rolled around, most of the time-share and sales people had cleared out, so we got to listen to more construction while we ate lunch. One dinner was spent listening to an angle grinder and saw because they were replacing the rustic looking wooden beam banisters with chrome pipe and glass.

We complained to the concierge and manager each day, to no avail. Each time they would tell us that all the construction was done, but then it would start right back the next day. We finally just started to take a taxi into Playa each day and stay there as long as possible. There are some great places to eat in town as well. I really feel the worst for the staff. Every single staff person was the best that you could imagine. They are all extremely helpful and attentive, but they are being stuck in a very difficult place. They're trying to keep the guests happy and there's construction going on along with a changing atmosphere - not the best of circumstances by any means.

Like the reviewer said below, ultimately this construction will be done. However, what will replace the once rustic and natural Hotel Le Reve will be a modern time share facility - no longer geared towards couples wanting to get away from the 'mainstream' all inclusive mega-complexes. Bottom line is if you look at their website and think, 'this place looks great', think again....

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden view and loved it. It made it easy to get in and out to the beach from the g...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have to start by saying that I wish I could go back in time and still be at Le Reve celebrating my wedding weekend it was an incredible weekend. Despicte the new ownership and changes in the hotel I had the most AMAZING wedding weekend. I am forever thankful for all the hard work Arlenis (Wedding coordinator), Adriana (general Manager), Felipe (Maintenance) and the entire staff at Le Reve did for making my wedding a dream come true.
Several weeks before the wedding we learned that the hotel had changed owners and it was undergoing renovations and it was being converted into a time share. I was very disappointed and upset to hear this 3 weeks before my wedding. i loved le Reve the minute i walked into the property last summer and decided to have my wedding there, so to have any changes done to the property was very upsetting for me. However, the minute we arrived the entire management team an staff went out of their way to make me and my guest feel at home and to finish any construction work that need it to be done prior the wedding all guest arrived.
We had 3 days of events and we all had a blast. Our wedding was the weekend of March 20-23 over 3 weeks ago, all our guest are still talking about how much fun and what an amazing weekend they had. Again thanks LE REVE for a memorable wedding weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
hotellereve, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Claudia 3201

Thank you for your beautiful review, please allow me to congratulate you on your recent marriage! We are honored that you chose to share this incredibly special occasion with us at Le Reve Hotel & Spa. I am also delighted to hear your feedback about your wedding day was everything you imagined it would be. I have shared your kind words with our entire staff!

It was our pleasure to make that day extra special for you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review with just 2 days into my stay. I had real concerns about construction but it seems now an issue if past. There are some minor cosmetic construction going on but it's hardly noticeable . Staff here is amazing and very friendly. The location is perfect and it's amazingly quiet. Its adult only which makes it really nice for couples. Unlike other large resorts it's not crowded at all. Beach in front feels very exclusive as there are no other resorts right next to it. Now the only One drawback is that the restaurant faces ocean directly and it's windy all the time. They have some curtains to block the wind but it still gets windy. I am loving my stay so far!

Stayed: March 2014