“Le Reve is Beautiful!”

Ranked #101 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week long stay at Le Reve, and it was amazing and so relaxing! We were nervous about the construction and all the bad reviews, and had emailed back and forth with the staff to see if we could cancel our reservation. They did their best to assure us that everything would meet our expectations and sent photos and videos to make us feel more at ease. They also upgraded us to 4 nights in the ocean front bungalows, and provided a food and beverage credit for our troubles. After deciding to stick it out, we arrived on April 6th and were pleasantly surprised to find that the only construction remaining was very minimal and had no effect on our stay.

We did not want to stay in a huge, overcrowded resort (which seem to be the norm in this particular area of Playa Del Carmen), and the peaceful atmosphere at Le Reve was exactly what we needed. We spent our days lounging on the beach, with Ishmael and Roberto bringing us delicious food and drinks with a smile on their face every time! The staff is great and very friendly and accommodating. We got a little tired of the dinner menu and wished that there were more Mexican inspired dishes offered, but other than that the food was great and prepared nicely.

The reviews below are extremely off base-- the rooms are not smelly or old, and are in fact very well maintained from our experience (we stayed in both the beachfront bungalows and the private garden rooms). If you're looking for a sterile hotel room, with a big flat screen TV, brand new appliances, and no character, then this is definitely not the place for you! The beds in the beachfront bungalows are huge and very comfortable, with a romantic canopy covering for added privacy. You can hear the ocean as you fall asleep at night, and the waves crashing on the beach seemed to drown out any "time share" related noises in the morning.

The time share situation is certainly unfortunate, and I will admit that it added an annoying/sleezy feel to the otherwise peaceful atmosphere. The good thing is that the time share people seem to clear out by noonish. I know they have plans to expand the property and convert some of it to a time share, which is sad because I think it will change this adorable boutique hotel in the future. I know they are planning to add another restaurant and about 100 more rooms, but hopefully they can retain elements of the resort as it is now!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah T
hotellereve, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Hannah T,

Thank you for your beautiful rewiew, We will be Sharing your comments with Ishmael and Roberto and our entire staff! for te excellent service they provided to you, we work hard to meet your expectations and provide you a pleasant stay.
We have taken note of your request to add more Mexican Food in our menu,
Thank you again for your feed back, this help us to continue being the top choice of our guests.

we look forward to welcoming you back at Le Reve Hotel & Spa.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We went for my son's wedding. I don't know where to start; everything was bad. I wish that they were honest about what was happening, we found out 15 days before the wedding that the hotel was in rennovation. The beautifull view was almost gone whith a new office building.
They made us pay for all the 26 rooms (the whole hotel) to have exclusivity on the hotel just for the wedding guests.
The prices that they made us pay, were extremely high and they didn't respect the exclusivity, they had sales people and clients all over the hotel.
The rooms were stinky, the sheets and towels, old. The rooms smell like garbage because the huge garbage containers are almost there.
The air conditioners aren't sufficient for the rooms and they leak. The room flooded and the closet, including my clothes were all wet. I stayed for three nights and they didn't do anything about it. I couldn't use the closet.
The rooms are old and not well taking care off.
The owner and manager that were there, did nothing for us.
The reception personel is rude and unpolite. If you have a visitor, they make them sign a voucher, just to let them in and treat them like potential robbers.
The food is good but extremly expensive.
If you're planning to have a good time there..... you wont!!!!
Everything is old, cheap and they don't care about you. My advice; don't go. There are beautiful hotels in the area with more quality and cheaper.
I can't understand how they want to sell the rooms as "time share" if the hotel is falling appart!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Sylviacasali
LeReveHotelandSpas, General Manager at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Madam

Le Reve Hotel & Spa has been certified for more than five years as one of the favorite destination for weddings by many couples who choose to get married at Le Reve.

We are very proud about the opinion about our wedding coordination, service, food and experience many couples have reported about us.

We have hosted weddings since February 22, 2014 all without exception with Fantastic comments about the staff and Management.

I am afraid your comment is bad intentioned since your report does not describe the complete 3 days wedding experiences. It does not describe the effort and service from all Le Reve staff, unfortunately, it seems not to be appreciate.

Your report does not mention the compensation given to the groom, bride and all guest more than 15 days before the wedding date about last minutes changes informed in advanced.

We are very sad to read your testimonial after all Le Reve staff was witnessed of all the fun, love, happiness and unforgettable moments, you and your family and friends experienced during your stay.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We did lots of research and decided on Le Reve Hotel for our honeymoon/vacation. We loved how the hotel was very small and intimate when researching - but we failed to continue to read reviews after booking. We did not have an all inclusive package when we stayed either, so we were expecting to pay for all our meals. We received an email from the concierge approx. 2 weeks before our stay (stayed the last week of March) stating that all construction was completed and there would only be minor changes occurring.

When we got to the hotel, nothing could have been further from the truth. Not only does the hotel no longer look the same as the pictures on their own website or Luxury Link, but they are also changing it into a modern time share. We were woken up each morning at 7am with construction - from hammering to chipping concrete to concrete trucks. If you think going to breakfast would be a good way to get away from the noise, think again. You'll be literally surrounded by time share sales people trying to sell families/couples on the concept. Not exactly the peaceful retreat we had in mind. From there we headed to the beach and tried to relax - but instead got to watch guys in front of our hotel try to sign more people up to hear the timeshare presentations. When lunch rolled around, most of the time-share and sales people had cleared out, so we got to listen to more construction while we ate lunch. One dinner was spent listening to an angle grinder and saw because they were replacing the rustic looking wooden beam banisters with chrome pipe and glass.

We complained to the concierge and manager each day, to no avail. Each time they would tell us that all the construction was done, but then it would start right back the next day. We finally just started to take a taxi into Playa each day and stay there as long as possible. There are some great places to eat in town as well. I really feel the worst for the staff. Every single staff person was the best that you could imagine. They are all extremely helpful and attentive, but they are being stuck in a very difficult place. They're trying to keep the guests happy and there's construction going on along with a changing atmosphere - not the best of circumstances by any means.

Like the reviewer said below, ultimately this construction will be done. However, what will replace the once rustic and natural Hotel Le Reve will be a modern time share facility - no longer geared towards couples wanting to get away from the 'mainstream' all inclusive mega-complexes. Bottom line is if you look at their website and think, 'this place looks great', think again....

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden view and loved it. It made it easy to get in and out to the beach from the g...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have to start by saying that I wish I could go back in time and still be at Le Reve celebrating my wedding weekend it was an incredible weekend. Despicte the new ownership and changes in the hotel I had the most AMAZING wedding weekend. I am forever thankful for all the hard work Arlenis (Wedding coordinator), Adriana (general Manager), Felipe (Maintenance) and the entire staff at Le Reve did for making my wedding a dream come true.
Several weeks before the wedding we learned that the hotel had changed owners and it was undergoing renovations and it was being converted into a time share. I was very disappointed and upset to hear this 3 weeks before my wedding. i loved le Reve the minute i walked into the property last summer and decided to have my wedding there, so to have any changes done to the property was very upsetting for me. However, the minute we arrived the entire management team an staff went out of their way to make me and my guest feel at home and to finish any construction work that need it to be done prior the wedding all guest arrived.
We had 3 days of events and we all had a blast. Our wedding was the weekend of March 20-23 over 3 weeks ago, all our guest are still talking about how much fun and what an amazing weekend they had. Again thanks LE REVE for a memorable wedding weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
hotellereve, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Claudia 3201

Thank you for your beautiful review, please allow me to congratulate you on your recent marriage! We are honored that you chose to share this incredibly special occasion with us at Le Reve Hotel & Spa. I am also delighted to hear your feedback about your wedding day was everything you imagined it would be. I have shared your kind words with our entire staff!

It was our pleasure to make that day extra special for you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review with just 2 days into my stay. I had real concerns about construction but it seems now an issue if past. There are some minor cosmetic construction going on but it's hardly noticeable . Staff here is amazing and very friendly. The location is perfect and it's amazingly quiet. Its adult only which makes it really nice for couples. Unlike other large resorts it's not crowded at all. Beach in front feels very exclusive as there are no other resorts right next to it. Now the only One drawback is that the restaurant faces ocean directly and it's windy all the time. They have some curtains to block the wind but it still gets windy. I am loving my stay so far!

Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Udai B
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed for the week of March 16th and although there was still some minor construction ongoing, it did not interfere with our enjoyment of the Hotel. The hotel is under new ownership and have made a transition to all inclusive and the food and service was simply outstanding. We had an ocean front bungalow and it was very comfortable. Great King size bed with large sliding doors opening to our private infinity pool and the ocean just steps away. The new owners have great plans for this boutique hotel, so I would expect there to be construction of some sort for quite some time. The beach in from of the hotel is very rocky and not nice for swimming, however, there are nice swimming areas just a 2 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Bungalows are excellent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BrianDekker
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I should preface this review by saying we were able to get a full refund of the unused nights we pre-paid and a partial refund of the night we were forced to stay, for which we are grateful. The hotel staff seemed genuinely embarrassed by the situation they found themselves in. My issue is with the dishonestly we encountered prior to our arrival and the alleged 'upgrades' being carried out, which are nothing of the sort.

I was aware of the construction when booking, but communication with the hotel assured us it would be completed prior to our arrival. The week before we traveled I was concerned by ongoing negative reviews and contacted Luxury Link with whom we'd booked our package. They called the hotel direct and were again assured that all work would be complete prior to our arrival on March 7th.

This was far from the case. Work crews were all over the hotel, there was wet concrete everywhere and instead of a peaceful beachside respite there was a constant barrage of hammering and band saws, which went on throughout the evening and woke us at 7.30am the next morning.

When I challenged the manager on this dishonestly, I was told they had 'hoped' the work would have been completed. Given the scale of the ongoing work, this could not possibly have been the case and talking to other staff members they admitted there was still much work to be done.

But ultimately, the construction will be completed. What is more concerning is the type of work being carried out. The hotel no longer looks anything like it's website photos. The charming beach bar has been demolished and replaced with an eyesore of a two storey concrete bunker, which will apparently serve as a sales office for the new 'timeshare' concept. It's architecture, or lack of, is entirely out of keeping with the natural wood/stone/palapa style which initially attracted us to the hotel, as is the ugly tiling being laid in all the public areas, which would look cheap in a Motel 6.

I feel genuinely bad for the staff, whose management are putting them in the impossible position of having to deal with a constant stream of unhappy arrivals who immediately want to leave - we saw several such incidents in the short time we were there. We were able to find an alternative hotel for the next morning, but we speak Spanish and have local cellphones. Arriving from further afield or on a busy weekend we might not have been so lucky.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank penelope75
LeReveHotelandSpas, Director General at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

For many years, le Reve has been considered one of the most charming hotels at the Riviera Maya, not just because of the facilities, le Reve is the experience, the staff, the food. Le Reve is reloaded with upgrading the facilities, we finalize the entrance path, The Restaurant, a lot of details and completly finished. Please find the same photo shoot you took some weeks ago and find the final version by today, The Hotel looks amazing.

We hope to have the oportuniti to host you in a near future