“Beautiful and relaxing boutique hotel”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #97 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Beautiful and relaxing boutique hotel”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review with just 2 days into my stay. I had real concerns about construction but it seems now an issue if past. There are some minor cosmetic construction going on but it's hardly noticeable . Staff here is amazing and very friendly. The location is perfect and it's amazingly quiet. Its adult only which makes it really nice for couples. Unlike other large resorts it's not crowded at all. Beach in front feels very exclusive as there are no other resorts right next to it. Now the only One drawback is that the restaurant faces ocean directly and it's windy all the time. They have some curtains to block the wind but it still gets windy. I am loving my stay so far!

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Udai B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
Gabriola Island, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed for the week of March 16th and although there was still some minor construction ongoing, it did not interfere with our enjoyment of the Hotel. The hotel is under new ownership and have made a transition to all inclusive and the food and service was simply outstanding. We had an ocean front bungalow and it was very comfortable. Great King size bed with large sliding doors opening to our private infinity pool and the ocean just steps away. The new owners have great plans for this boutique hotel, so I would expect there to be construction of some sort for quite some time. The beach in from of the hotel is very rocky and not nice for swimming, however, there are nice swimming areas just a 2 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Bungalows are excellent.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BrianDekker
new york
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I should preface this review by saying we were able to get a full refund of the unused nights we pre-paid and a partial refund of the night we were forced to stay, for which we are grateful. The hotel staff seemed genuinely embarrassed by the situation they found themselves in. My issue is with the dishonestly we encountered prior to our arrival and the alleged 'upgrades' being carried out, which are nothing of the sort.

I was aware of the construction when booking, but communication with the hotel assured us it would be completed prior to our arrival. The week before we traveled I was concerned by ongoing negative reviews and contacted Luxury Link with whom we'd booked our package. They called the hotel direct and were again assured that all work would be complete prior to our arrival on March 7th.

This was far from the case. Work crews were all over the hotel, there was wet concrete everywhere and instead of a peaceful beachside respite there was a constant barrage of hammering and band saws, which went on throughout the evening and woke us at 7.30am the next morning.

When I challenged the manager on this dishonestly, I was told they had 'hoped' the work would have been completed. Given the scale of the ongoing work, this could not possibly have been the case and talking to other staff members they admitted there was still much work to be done.

But ultimately, the construction will be completed. What is more concerning is the type of work being carried out. The hotel no longer looks anything like it's website photos. The charming beach bar has been demolished and replaced with an eyesore of a two storey concrete bunker, which will apparently serve as a sales office for the new 'timeshare' concept. It's architecture, or lack of, is entirely out of keeping with the natural wood/stone/palapa style which initially attracted us to the hotel, as is the ugly tiling being laid in all the public areas, which would look cheap in a Motel 6.

I feel genuinely bad for the staff, whose management are putting them in the impossible position of having to deal with a constant stream of unhappy arrivals who immediately want to leave - we saw several such incidents in the short time we were there. We were able to find an alternative hotel for the next morning, but we speak Spanish and have local cellphones. Arriving from further afield or on a busy weekend we might not have been so lucky.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank penelope75
LeReveHotelandSpas, Director General at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
For many years, le Reve has been considered one of the most charming hotels at the Riviera Maya, not just because of the facilities, le Reve is the experience, the staff, the food. Le Reve is reloaded with upgrading the facilities, we finalize the entrance path, The Restaurant, a lot of details and completly finished. Please find the same photo shoot you took some weeks ago and find the final version by today, The Hotel looks amazing.

We hope to have the oportuniti to host you in a near future

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
san francisco
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I recently returned from a trip booked at Le Reve where I had booked my hotel using Luxury Link. I planned months in advance and was looking forward to a relaxing getaway at a hotel ON the beach in Playa del Carmen. I arrived in the evening and was surprised to see construction going on at 8pm at the reception area. The staff told me that they had some construction going on but I had no idea the extent of it until the morning. In daylight it became all too clear that there was no way I would be staying at that hotel. Over half of the hotel was under construction with loud band saw noise, the indoor restaurant completely bare and dust and debris around the pool and tables they had set up in lieu of the restaurant they were rebuilding. All of a sudden a trip I had planned months ahead of time had to be reworked on the first day of my vacation. To top it off, the hotel had limited phone service due to the construction so I had to use my own phone to pay for the long distance calls to find a new place to stay. Because it was a holiday weekend, my options were limited and expensive- especially if I wanted what I had planned (a nice hotel on the beach). I had to settle for less than I had expected and then chase Luxury Link for a refund. After making them aware of the issue with the hotel and while I waited almost a month for my money back, I saw that they continued to have this same hotel offered on their website as a deal. When I challenged them on that they said they would look into it. I feel sorry for anyone who books a trip with them when they know that that hotel is not in any shape to have guests. Because of this experience, I would not trust them with my precious vacation time if they're still willing to sell vacations to a hotel that is unacceptable. BEWARE.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank michellew202
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Hotel is still under construction, despite hotel's contention on March 5 that construction was completed. I totally agree with stormyweather 2013's review. I've complained to Expedia - who has nothing on their website about the construction, and have even disputed the charge for the rooms with my bank. I've traveled to some of the most random places in the world -- Cambodia, Syria, Malaysia, Jordan, but have never seen accomodations so misrepresented on a hotel's website or on other travel sites.

Construction site was dangerous, and there were random people that were not hotel staff or guests around the hotel from 0730 AM to 730 PM every day that we were there (March 12 - 15). Power tools were lying around, buzz saws were in full force, tiles were being laid, and bricks and mortar were being set. Certainly not routine upgrades. Construction was by the beach, pool, and you could hear it in the rooms. We asked to be moved, and that helped nominally, but construction still woke us up at 0800 the next day.

The lovely ceviche bar with the spa cabana on the top as seen in photos is gone - replaced with an ugly Time Share office. One day, during breakfast, we witnessed as dozens of people were ferried in by Time Share staff in and out of the offices. We gathered they were Time Share when the hotel staff half heartedly pitched us.

If you stay here right now, you are basically funding the ugly upgrades they are doing to the hotel to make it a Time Share. Spa is non existent and no manager is on site. The staff is not empowered to deal with the situation.

The hotel staff is great, and in a regular setting and if managed by someone, they would make a top notch team. I hope they walk down to the lovely resorts down the beach (Azul Fives, Viceroy) and get jobs there, as we would love to see them again in a more relaxing setting if we return again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Nicole L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Let me start by saying that the staff was wonderful and our service was amazing. I blame none of what I'm about to write on the staff.

I do want to echo the others on this site who have complained about the construction. I stayed at Le Reve from Feb. 13 to Feb. 18 and the construction was going from 8 am until 8 pm, which pretty much made our stay on a beachfront resort an unpleasant experience. There was no advance warning of the construction when we booked and then no subsequent notification giving us a chance to withdraw our reservation after booking. I should add that we made our booking directly with Le Reve, and not through any other Internet service. While we were fortunate enough to be placed in a room in a section of the resort that did not have construction going on, we clearly saw guests staying directly above the restaurant, which had heavy work, including hammering and concrete mixing taking place while we were there. Judging from some of the other comments, the construction seems to have shifted to other areas of the resort.

While the construction will end at some point and while I understand the need to upgrade facilities, it is unacceptable to have guests pay full price at an expensive hotel and not get any advance notice. Frankly, it's unacceptable to even be open when the construction is going on because of the safety hazards. During our stay, we noticed people who looked like the owners and management (yes, you with the Starbucks cup every morning, I'm talking to you) unabashedly walking around the grounds, observing the construction, clearly noticing that the guests who were staying at Le Reve were not getting the promised peace and quiet that should come with a tropical getaway. There were no apologies, no discounts, and an unclassy choice to ignore the crappy situation they had chosen to create. Owners and management like this have no respect for the guests that are staying at their establishment and I would beware of how they treat guests in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid the construction. Oh wait, they won't tell you in advance that they have construction...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank stormyweather2013
Derby, KS
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Unlike kanikab, we were upgraded due to the construction, and the restaurant was still open. The room we stayed in was lovely--no, not like a corporate chain with high speed internet ad 100 t.v. channels at your fingertips--but in a unique and charming way. There were some glitches likely due to the construction (slow to fill tub, so opted for a shower instead) but it in no way dampened the experience, which is one of grand expansive ocean access. The restaurant was amazing, but as we were only here overnight, we only ate dinner and breakfast. I wish we had a week to try everything on the menu--it was a true gastronomical sensation. I would stay here again as I much prefer a small boutique hotel to the grandiose, stuffy corporate experience at large gated resorts on the main drag.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple