“Relaxation and Romance” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #96 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Detroit, Michigan
“Relaxation and Romance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at Le Reve on a whim after getting a good rate for a room on another website. Was so pleasantly surprised at how luxurious the hotel was. Our room was simple and clean with a great bathroom and lovely terrace. The pool area is the real winner here. The pool is shaped in a way that affords privacy to everyone using the pool. There are different corners created for seclusion and relaxation. The infinity edge is gorgeous and the benches in the pool are great for reading. The restaurant is lovely and the staff is very friendly. You are a bit secluded at the hotel and the food can get repetitive after a few nights. The beachfront is not the best for swimming but lovely to look at from a hammock. All together a great stay if you're looking for relaxation and seclusion.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I cannot stay enough kind things about this resort. We purchased a week's trip on one of the flash-sale website for our honeymoon. We stayed in one of the beachfront, thatched-roof bungalows with private dip pool. The grounds are gorgeous, the staff is incredibly accommodating, and the food at the onsite restaurant is delicious.

This is not one of those huge all inclusive resorts that are so abundant on the Yucatan Peninsula. This is small, private, and simply lovely.

We did have a problem with our room one night (the air conditioner leaked and flooded the room). We were moved to a suite and given credits to our final bill. This gesture was completely unnecessary but very appreciated.

We wil definitely go back one day, I hope it is soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Amazing food, extremely friendly staff, beautiful setting, and high quality rooms. The only downside is the relatively difficult accessibility (no taxi drivers seem to know where the hotel is), but honestly, that's sort of the allure. We've had better massages before, but right by the beach, there's not much more you can ask for. They also threw a really cute New Years Eve party when we were there. The next time we go to Mexico, we will be back at Le Reve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

After some years of stressful work, I was needing a real rest. I'd stayed at Le Reve by recomendation of a close friend. Everything was perfect, the rooms so lovely, and quite, the service great. I had the perfect Day Off of my life!

Room Tip: Ask for the bagel for breakfast and for the "ojo Rojo" drink.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Paula L
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This small hotel was so perfect for us because it was only 3 miles away from Playa del Carmen and it was right by the white coral sand beach of the crystal blue Caribbean Sea,

Our bungalow was private and unique, with its plunge pool right on the beach. My husband and I watched the sunrise from our bed, it was awesome.
The food at the restaurant is most excellent; every meal felt special with unique presentations and delicious flavours.

The most impressive thing about this little hotel is their staff; they are friendly, attentive and very professional.

We had great time! The hotel was so beautifully set on breathtaking scenery, its simply picture perfect/ We highly recommend it, especially if your looking to spend some amazing quality time with your significant other!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Before we get into the details, I just wanted to be very upfront about this... this is THE perfect romantic getaway for couple's hands-down... well let may qualify that, this is the THE perfect romantic getaway for couple's hands-down, as long as you are looking for a boutique hotel experience WITHOUT the large and boisterous crowds, and WITHOUT the need to be on a beach boulevard with all the restaurants and clubs in walking distance.

I am an avid traveler, both personally but also for work, and have lived on 3 different continents. I've always utilized Tripadvisor to make my hotel booking decisions, but not once have I decided to leave feedback on a hotel (more of a shameful taker and not a giver when it comes to online reviews I guess). My experience at Le Reve however was so over the top wonderful that I feel compelled to write a review (even though 90%+ of reviews on this page for this hotel are so positive anyway). So here it goes...

Who is this hotel ideal for? Couples, couples and couples. Also, good for a group of friends looking to relax and enjoy the subtleties of life (not party like there is no tomorrow), however I'd suggest that group of friends better be certain that they are good travel partners and that the friendship is more established than a casual acquaintance simply because you will feel like you are completely alone in the hotel with only each other to interact with.

Who is this hotel NOT for? Families with young kids, group of friends looking for the MTV spring break party scene, anybody who enjoys the concept of a Cruiseship atmosphere, and any solo travelers.

What I liked the most? The boutique reality of this hotel. It is so small that within 74 seconds (i timed myself) you can walk from your room to the beach, and in less time to the pool or bar/restaurant. There are so few rooms (many with private wadding pools) that at various points in the day you will be lounging in the pool or be lying on the beach COMPLETELY alone with the exception of the hotel staff. Feels a bit as if you own the hotel and that it is your private beach mansion. The decor and architectural planning is brilliant. Aside from your room, everything is open to the air (lobby, restaurant, spa, etc) so it just constantly feels tropical and refreshing with the hot air and fresh breeze blowing through the premises. The hotel's minimalistic nature mixed with rustic touches is the perfect fusion. Pool's z like infinity style looks a bit like a road leading you to the ocean in front of you. The beach's sand is perfectly clean (no seaweed, trash, etc) with a stunning view of Cozumel in the distance plus good shading options under full-grown palm trees. Lots of hammocks to choose from as well as lounge chairs or even a beach bed. Again, at NO moment will you have to fight for the best spot on the beach or the pool, because of the ratio of these to actual guests at the hotel. The food was great, we enjoyed every meal we had and definitely not overpriced. Although I must say that if you don't like Ceviche 50% of the lunch menu is off the table for you, and also since there is only 1 restaurant (again, BOUTIQUE HOTEL) you might get tired of the menu if you are staying here for more than 6 or 7 nights. Bartender does a great job as well, no drink I ordered was ever too watery, sugary, etc. Also, I brought my girlfriend on this trip to propose to her, and the hotel has an amazing engagement package with most of the items complementary (one free 3 course meal with wine at the hotel, special decorations and turn down service, substantial discount on spa services). Also, I booked their romantic dinner experience on the beach the day I proposed to my girlfriend, and there cannot be a better way to celebrate such an event. The hotel will set up a bamboo gazebo style table on the beach itself with torches lighting up at a perfect mood lighting tone. 3 course dinner was great as well as the service (not intrusive but always there when we finished our meals or needed more wine).

What I didn't like? Not much, honestly. I guess the only suggestions I'd have for the hotel is to have a few more sizes of snorkeling gear, as well as keep the pool bar staffed at all times (there was a few times when the bartender was not present and I needed to walk to the restaurant bar.. NOT a big deal since they are both only about 30 steps away from each other, but if I was to be picky that is something they could improve on).

What things do i NOT deem negative aspects personally, but that travelers should be aware of? The beach, once you get into the water, does have quite a bit of rocks and coral that it makes it difficult to walk into barefoot. The hotel however provides water shoes that work perfectly and make this problem easy to disregard. The plus side of having rocky underwater surface is that no non-hotel guests hang out in front of the hotel (as far as I know, beaches in MExico are federal property and thus hotels cannot restrict it to guests only). The beach itself is beautiful and sandy with no rocks (it is only the underwater portions that have coral type rocks). The is not television, neither in the rooms nor at the bar. This i think is a positive in my opinion if you are looking to relax and take in the natural beauty of the Mayan Riviera and Le Reve property, as well as have good quality time with whomever you are traveling with (i love TV, but let's be honest, TV is the opium of the masses).

Things I've read others complain about on Tripadvisor about this hotel, but that I deem RIDICULOUS? The road is a dirt road and bumpy for 1km... big deal, you are in Mexico. The drive from the hotel to the main highway is only 5 minutes at most (you can live with a dirt road). The hotel is 15 minutes away from Playa del Carmen's "happening" area. For me this is a PLUS of this hotel, since you are here to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the surroundings, not the drunk frat boys on a bachelor party or the incessant "selling" the club promoters etc. The hotel has iguana's and geckos around the property and a tiny one might get into your room... big deal, a tiny gecko never hurt anybody and it actually makes you feel like this is an authentic experience, not a clorox drenched room by some anonymous large hotel chain.

In sum, if you are looking for the Romantic Getway, stop looking and book this hotel. I am quite tireless when booking travel plans, and after having spent 3 days online on every legitimate travel review site out there I can say hands down that you will not regret your decision. AMAZING hotel.. Congrats to the owners and staff.

Mauricio
mauri.benavente@gmail.com

Room Tip: We stayed in the Master's Ocean View Room #301 ("Los Troncones"), and absolutely loved...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mauricio B
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for 4 days in May, and we couldn't have had a better time together.
As we enjoy staying in small boutique hotels with direct ocean access and personal service, this hotel was perfect for us. The staff was very accomodating. We were arriving after the restaurant closed for the night, but upon request, they served us the perfect dinner- warm with a glass of white wine and a cold beer in our room. While there is one restaurant, the food was so great, that we enjoyed the various menu items for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For such a reasonably priced getaway, we had a fantastic time and would recommend it to other couples.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple