“Le Reve Hotel and Spa”

Ranked #100 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Chicago, IL
“Le Reve Hotel and Spa”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We signed up for the "World's Best Anniversary Package." The hotel is very small. It really should not use the word "Spa in its title. There is no real spa. Just an outdoor space above a terribly out-dated gym where you can get services by someone they bring into the hotel to do the treatment. Included in our package was one massage. It was good. But if I had to pay out-of-pocket for it, I would have been sorely disappointed. She arrived late. I watched her set up using old, tattered towels to cover a somewhat beat-up massage table. She pulled various bottles of lotions and oils out of her purse. All in all, it seemed like a shady experience. Plus she spoke no English, so I had a hard time communicating with her. After, she made it a point that she expected a tip. Everyone at Le Reve was very, very nice. I can't deduct points for service. The menu was OK. We got very tired of seeing it day after day. Definitely not a place for those who like to try different things everyday. I'm a huge fan of fruit. It was like pulling teeth to get the amount I craved. Some days the mango was sour, other days they had no papaya. All in all, a big disappointment in the fruit department. Ceviche was a big hit though. High marks for that. Our day in town, Playa del Carmen, was much needed. If it was easier to get to town -- i.e. unlimited free taxi rides to and fro -- we would have gone more than once, for sure. The room was nice. But we were shocked to see no door for the toilet! Is it too much to ask for a door to the toilet space? A little privacy, please. And the water pressure was horrible. Plus it took a long time for the hot water to arrive. Towels were old, a little ratty. Tiny bugs were always crawling around the counter top. It was a losing battle trying to get rid of them. Eventually, we just lived with them. We stayed on the top floor in the corner room. The bungalows by the beach seemed too dark, small and damp for us. Yes, we know that this is a place to choose if you want to unplug. But it was so quiet, we really craved a tv in our room. There's nothing to do after dinner. Even watching a Spanish show would have been a nice distraction. If it weren't for free wi-fi, I think we would have lost our minds. Bring a lot of books. In the end, we enjoyed relaxing by the pool and listening to the ocean which was very close to the pool's edge. But, by the end of our four-night stay, we were ready to go home. They never gave us our "Special Gift" upon departure. So I guess we'll never know what that was. Won't come back here. Too quiet. NOT a spa. (That gym was so bad, it's comical!) Not for us.

Room Tip: Top floor corner room with balcony is a must.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shebeepee
LeReveHotelandSpas, General Manager at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience on Trip Advisor, it is greatly appreciated. We feel honored you chose Hotel Le Reve & Spa as your 10th anniversary destination. Certainly Le Reve hotel is considered one of the most charming and romantic boutique hotels at the Riviera Maya, ideal for honeymooners and anniversaries. Le Reve is a very young property and we are working to improve all our services daily. We deeply apologize for the inconveniences at the Spa, we are very happy to inform to you that we are launching our indoor & air-conditioning Spa pavilion very soon, however the secret of our Spa services are based on the experience, we offer spa treatments in the privacy of some of the rooms, under the stars or at the open Spa Pavilion next to the beach. We regret not having been able to deliver the Spa service you were expecting from us and which normally exceeds our guests expectations. The necessary actions are being taken to guarantee the continuity of the hotel’s services at all times. For some reason your "Special Gift” did not arrive to your hands, please give me the opportunity to ship it directly to you,
Thanks again for your review; we assure your feedback will be taken into consideration.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This place is great they know how to take care of their guests it's quiet and secluded. The menu is great and the rooms are super clean. We spent the first 4 days of our honeymoon here and we where pretty bummed when we had to leave.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob D
mexico df
Reviewed September 18, 2012

don't let yourself get carried by the pictures in the web page the hotel has very little maintenance you will find bugs in your bed really bad air conditioner, can't get in the ocean full rocky floor they won't reimburse you if you complain about everything and leave sooner. the worst vacation ever. they ruin my trip and behave sarcastic about it the manager was very hypocrite trying to upgrade me because of the complain but wouldn't reimburse me 5 days for leaving and not just that they put me in contact with a car rental that robbed me for an amount of 600 us dollars on my credit card for one day rental. please consider this because if we keep sustaining places like this one we encourage and support mediocre and unetic places before professional hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carlos O
LeReveHotelandSpas, General Manager at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Carlos

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review about your very short stay with us. However, I am very concerned about your comments. I was pleased to meet you in person and the Le Reve sales team was ready to assist you in arranging your reimbursement together with your travel agency. You booked 5 nights and just stayed one. We met during your early check out and I remember you mentioning that your early check out was due to personal reasons and not to any inconveniences experienced in our hotel. However, I tried to convince you to stay to be able to get the true Le Reve experience as our guests usually are really happy and enjoy their stay with us. I am really surprised to hear that you perceived me as sarcastic and hypocrite, I had the feeling we had a very nice talk. Anyways, you reimburse has been done already a couple of weeks ago. Additionally, I don’t understand what you mean with your problem regarding the external car rental since you left Le Rêve with a taxi and didn’t rent a car during your stay. We are not responsible for external companies and usually work with very reliable partners.

Lic. Adriana Chardí
Le Rêve Hotel & Spa
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Booked entire hotel (25 rooms) for 4 days & had the most magical time. From a welcome Barbecue to the wedding on the beach followed by the reception with a mariachi band, dinner & dance, everything was amazing. There were no glitches..... food was perfect, the lighting was romantic and the DJs were amazing. Our guests came from Canada, USA, New Zealand, Italy & Mexico and are still exchanging photos and memories. I have no hesitation in recommending Le Reve to anyone planning their dream wedding!

Room Tip: Master suites were great for the bridal party to get organized
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2012

First off this is a very secluded hotel. So if you don't like seclusion then this isn't the place for you. There are no loud, annoying kids. Adult only (16 and up). The hotel is very nice, clean and beautiful. We rented a car to get there, the roads there are unpaved with pot holes, but once you arrive, the hotel itself is worth the trip. The pool is great and the beach is nice though a bit rocky. You wouldn't be able to walk into the water barefoot. They have a ocean kayak available for use which is fun. The restraunt is amazing! We were treated to a free bottle of wine when we arrived, and every night there was a small gourmet dessert waiting on our bed for us. There are no TVs, which was fine by us. The only downside was that the internet wasn't working the whole time we were there. (1 week) Couldn't get in touch with anyone or handle any business matters via internet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Le Reve Hotel and Spa appreciate all comments from its guests.
Yes, you are right, we like to think of ourselves as a very private Boutique Hotel and we are proud for that, we loved the idea of our guests enjoying in a peaceful and relaxing way. About the road, the 3 km (1.8 miles) long road connecting the hotel with the federal highway has been fixed. Only the last 300 meters (330 yards) remain bumpy. Unfortunately, since the road belongs to the municipality Le Reve Hotel & Spa has no control over the road’s condition and several requests to repair the remaining stretch have not been taken into consideration.
We regret that the Internet service was not working as it should, we will take this matter to consideration!
Thank you again for your feedback and your kind review, we hope to host you in a near future again.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Le Reve for our honeymoon in one of the bungalow suites. Upon arrival, our room had a wonderful aroma (scented air?), an iPod was in a dock and playing absolutely perfect music for the location, and a bottle of wine and a lovely note were waiting for us.

The bed had several down pillows and a down comforter and was REALLY comfortable. On several occasions we put down the mosquito netting and opened up the doors to listen to the ocean which was no more than 20ft from our room. (note: I would definitely take mosquito repellant next time, its the only downside to literally sleeping on the beach, but its nature).

The private plunge pool right outside of our door was fantastic, as were the beach just beyond it. The food in the restaurant was absolutely incredible. All of our dinners were REALLY good! Breakfast was good as well, but the dinner menu really stood out above the rest.

This hotel is VERY small. We lucked out and there was only one other couple there during our stay. I loved that there were no tv's, this is definitely someplace you go to disconnect and relax.

The hotel offers snorkel gear and water shoes for guests, as well as sea kayaks (canoes?). We had just come off of an incredible wedding at the Hyatt in Cancun and didn't think anything would be able to top it, but Le Reve did. We were so happy to relax and unwind at what is undoubtedly a romantic, quiet place. I can't say enough great things about Le Reve. I've traveled a lot, all over the world, and stayed in all different kinds of hotels, but there was just something about Le Reve that has stuck with me. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: The bungalow suites are incredible.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Space
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It's hard to complain about a place that has many good things going for it, but the reality is this is no where near a fabulous boutique hotel. I stayed a week and found some staff just lovely, and some rather unfriendly. I asked for a mani pedi and they told me bringing in someone to do it would be "too expensive". How about if I decide that? I booked a massage and it sucked.

Food was all over the place, sometimes good, sometimes OK, but value for $ was just not there. The servers were mostly very nice, however.

Despite there being very few guests (less than 8 total) most of the time I was there, the manager never came to say hello or ask how things were. Then the front desk asks you to fill out a satisfaction form when you check out. Weird.

I really liked the minimalist decor, and everything was kept very clean. The wireless was spotty, so if you have something important to deal with online, make sure you have data on your phone.

• Stayed August 2012
We appreciate the time you took to write the review about your recent stay with us. Le Reve regrets that its service performance was not at it's usual level. As many guest and Trip Advisor users have posted, Le Reve’s staff and services are known as the "gem" of the hotel. I am very sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you in person, as Le Reve has a very personalize service, I do normally meet with all our guests. I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future. Thank you for your feedback, Le Reve is taking the necessary actions to guarantee excellent personalized services at all times.