“Perfect Destination Wedding!”

Ranked #94 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Francisco, California
“Perfect Destination Wedding!”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I got married at Le Reve on May 19, and there are simply not enough words to describe how PERFECT our wedding weekend was at the lovely Le Reve. The wedding planner, Arlenis, and her assistant Ana Carla are absolutely the best. They were so on top of everything. I did not have to worry about anything at both the rehearsal dinner or the wedding. They made sure everything ran so smoothly and even thought of the things that I forgot. I did not have to worry or stress about anything. They are just so good at their jobs. On the day of my wedding, it started raining in the afternoon, so of course I was upset. Arlenis knew exactly how to calm a bride and assure me of a "Plan B" just in case. On top of both of them giving me my dream wedding, they are possibly 2 of the sweetest ladies I have ever met. The entire staff at Le Reve provided my entire group with flawless service. We rented out the whole hotel, and they definitely were able to take care of our group. Everyone raved to us about how awesome the staff was and how hard they worked to make it perfect. From Jesus at the from desk, to all the guys who worked the bar/restaurant and worked our events...Mario, Freddy, Antonio, Roberto, Ismael, and the rest of the crew...these guys are AMAZING!! In a nutshell... This was the best destination wedding and all who were there agree :) Thank you to Le Reve and we will be back!!

Room Tip: Master Suites are the most spacious but we loved our beach bungalow!
3 Thank Marisa M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
Baltimore
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I always find it curious how other travelers find ways to complain about the vacation that they chose. My biggest piece of advice is to do your research and take actions for your choices.

Having said that Le Reve was perfect for my wife and I. We prefer small Boutique'y hotels that are a bit quiet, and probably a bit more expensive, but in Le Reve's case you get what you pay for.

The restaurant was really good for all of the different meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). If you are staying for a few nights and are adventuress definitely try the "Mayan" Menu for dinner. You have to pick your meal 24 hours in advance but it is definitely worth it.

The beach is nice but a bit rocky. You can take a 10 minute walk in either direction and not have to deal with the coral. The infinity pool is amazing and the poolside bar is great! (try the coco locos).

In short, Le Reve is a great small Boutique hotel for those looking for some peace and quiet. Do your research and know what you like in your vacation. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you can afford in the beach side bungalows are great! They have their own plunge pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Baltimoooooron
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here for a friend's wedding, and my first time staying someplace that was couples only and $200 a night. It was a peaceful, tranquil setting; about a 10 minute ride from Playa del Carmen, the town. The decor is all exposed dark wood and white washed walls; the view is gorgeous and the accomodations very tasteful and elegant. Its couples only--no kids unless its for a wedding like this one. With only 35 rooms, its smaller than the other resorts so the staff remembers you and your tastes. For example, I don't like sugary cocktails--they remembered to make my margaritas without the syrup.

Stayed in the Garden Suite--its very private, you get your own garden with big hedges and your own hammock but the due to the layout, you can hear your neigbours. Mind you, my neighbors were friends who took joy in shouting across the rooms. There are no windows to keep open and the garden door had no screen (nor could it lock well) but this meant we had to keep the AC on all night. It got kind of cold; so the thick comforter was good. For some reason, if you turned the AC off, condensation formed on the floor, making it a little slippery. Doors with screens would have been great.

The layout is open concept; private toilet but the shower has glass doors; the walls to the bathroom have a peek-a-boo quality that can make folks nervous (no the people passing by can't see you). Friends who stayed in the ocean view suites had a lovely large balcony, but the bath area was completely open to the room. Be comfortable with your suitemate. Don't have body issues :)

The beach is kind of rocky, and has coral reefs so not much ocean swimming--go a little farther down the beach and you can swim there. Infinity pool was lovely, lots of lounge chairs in shade and in the sun.

Breakfast was great! Get the package that includes breakfast. Town is a $15 cab ride away.

Onsite staff was very helpful. However when we contacted the hotel a few months prior to inquire about excursions we got little to no response. Odd because on-site, they were more than helpful.

Room Tip: Heard no complaints of any room, except that the ones with a balcony/ocean view had an open bathroom...
1 Thank Nyasa07
Sydney
Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you like...
• being in close proximity to lots of tourists;
• buying bad holiday t’shirts and bargaining with Mexicans over $2,
• drinking as many pre-mixed alcoholic drinks as you can take for only $40
• being never too far away from a Starbucks or a Burger King
• the smell of effluent wafting over the beach
• sharing the beach with ALL the tourists visiting Playa Del Carmen
• overhearing conversations that make your brain want to explode, because no matter where you turn there’s a tourist gabbing away

Well La Reve is NOT for you.

For all those poor souls like me who fantasise about holidays for months on end, and just want a relaxing break, away from hoards of tasteless travellers and their mind-numbing conversations- then look no further than La Reve.

I’ve seen a few threads here and there about La Reve’s proximity to Playa Del Carmen. Yes it is 10km away and that’s a good thing. When you’re 10km away it means you’ve almost got the beach to yourself (which in my book is heaven on earth). Every evening, my husband and I got a taxi into Playa for dinner- it was a 10 minute taxi ride and very cheap. The beach never once smelt like a toilet and true to my fantasy, I was able to read two books, whilst sipping delicious cocktails right on the beach, uninterrupted, for five blissful days.

La Reve hits the nail on its head in all aspects. We had a great time and are indebted to the staff of the hotel. We will definitely be back.

6 Thank ShellOb
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We had a great stay Le Reve. The staff was so wonderful and friendly. Food was great, especially breakfast. Every night there was turn down service and treats before bed. I think our room was cleaned almost twice a day. Beds were pretty comfy. The mosquitoes bit a lot, at least we think they were mosquitoes hmmm so make sure to bring bug spray. If you are squeamish then maybe stay clear of the bungalow rooms and stay higher up. The waterfront bungalows were a little more "rustic". There were lots of critters running around, lizards & iguanas. We even had some cockroaches in our room but the staff was quick to come take care of the problem. If you are looking for a big glamourous resort this is not for you. If you want an intimate, relaxing getaway go for it. The only thing that was missing was a jacuzzi :) All in all a really great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LadyJC12
Powell River, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon. I cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed our time here.The hotel and grounds are beautiful and tranquil, and the staff are simply outstanding. It's the perfect place for couples who want to spend time together. The food at the restaurant was delicious and the drinks were fantastic. Because it is a small hotel, the staff know exactly who you are and what room you are staying in.

Here are some examples regarding the attention to detail...When we first arrived, we were brought welcome drinks in less than 5 minutes, which was lovely as it had been a bit of a long, hot journey getting there (The Cancun airport is an absolute madhouse). Prior to our arrival, I had emailed the hotel letting them know we were coming on our honeymoon, so there was a bottle of champagne chilling in our room on our arrival (free of charge). As part of the free honeymoon package, we were also treated to a complimentary breakfast in our room, which was lovely. We told the staff that we would prefer to have the bottle of sparkling wine (which was included in the complimentary breakfast) with our dinner rather than with breakfast. When we went for dinner at the hotel restaurant that evening, the waiter asked us if we would like our bottle of wine before we even had a chance to mention it.

In the bathroom, there were towels for showering, as well as 2 beach towels in a woven beach bag, which was very handy and thoughtful of the hotel to provide. Every night, we would return to our hotel room and find our linens turned back with little treats waiting for us. There is also a mini-library which I took advantage of, and complimentary tea and cookies every evening between 5 and 6 pm. The staff were so genuine and accommodating that we were sorry to leave and determined to return next year.

Because the hotel is a bit off the beaten path (which we loved) I would recommend renting a car if you are able to. We used Alamo at the Cancun airport and were very pleased with their service and prices. There is so much to see and do in the area, if you can tear yourself away from the hotel, that renting a car is worth the cost. Renting a car for 4 days with unlimited mileage and insurance cost around $160 American. Considering that it is a $30 round trip via cab to Playa del Carmen, the price for a car rental is very reasonable. We were also able to go to Tulum and Chichen Itza, which definitely are places that must be seen if you are in the area.

I want this hotel to still be there so I can go back next year! You must stay here and give them your business...you won't regret it. It is the best experience I have ever had at a hotel.

3 Thank MrsSosa
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My fiance and I recently attended a friend's wedding at Le Reve in early May and find ourselves still reminiscing about this place. Not only was the happy couple's wedding beautiful and amazing, but our time at Le Reve is also likely to rank among our best hotel experiences.

I imagine that if you were on your honeymoon, a master suite or a bungalow room might be preferred, but we absolutely loved our Horizon Suite room (207) and enjoyed it immensely, particularly the rain-shower head with great water pressure and the wooded floors in the shower and the rustic ambiance that was created with that. The AC provided a great reprieve at the end of long, hot days. Our room was kept impeccably clean and our balcony was nice and shaded by trees. We like to be out and about so didn't mind the partial view especially when a few steps outside our room there was the gorgeous Caribbean sea view with the white sand and turquoise water. Also, it was more fun to be outside dipping into the infinity pool, swimming in the ocean, and mingling with the other guests anyway (of course, the mingling is arguably more fun when the entire hotel is booked for wedding guests). The beachfront was fantastic with relaxing hammocks and nicely shaded thatched umbrellas and comfortable long-chairs.

The restaurant space felt luxurious and spacious. We loved eating breakfast (included in the price/package that we paid) while looking out at the Caribbean. The breakfast itself was delicious as well: the fruit plates and savory options are great, but the french toast was a bit too sugary.

The exceptional staff and their impeccable service really made our experience. They were friendly, helpful, and all very patient with my attempts at practicing my elementary Spanish. Le Reve excels in the fine details: the extra towels provided near the infinity pool, the little desserts on plates left on the bed every night, the attention to random requests (when one of our luggage pieces arrived late at Cancun Intl Airport, we told them to feel free and knock at any time during the night when it was delivered and at 4am it was there!). This is a place where we would love to return!