“Paradise Found”

Ranked #99 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Mexico
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

An unbelievable stay!!! This is my second time at the hotel and I am in love with it. It is just the right size in just the right place and all for what amounts to a steal!! I spent the weekend there and had a fabulous time. The rooms are pristine, I stayed din a suit in-front of the ocean. If you feel the need you can go commando at night!!! and its heaven. Mexico has some of the best service in the world and the hotels lives up to that reputation. The people are kind and extremely attentive! the service was just spectacular. Now this place has an architecture to die for. The sense pf arrival the two walls framing the pool and ocean and the Palapa roof all come together to create Paradise recovered!

Loved it

Jorge H

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from a trip to Le Reve to celebrate our 10th Anniversary. We had a fantastic time at Le Reve and would highly recommend it for those seeking relaxation in a beautiful location with excellent service.
Our transfer to and from the Cancun airport was seamless. Our driver, Henry, was great. His SUV was comfortable and he was punctual, professional, and happy to answer our questions about the area.

We stayed in a Garden Room. The room was well designed and modern with a minimal amount of furnishings. The bed was cozy. The room would definitely benefit from a small table and chair(s) and some type of iPod dock for music, certainly not necessities, but would be nice. The view from this room is just so-so. Not bad, you just look at the back of the ocean front bungalows.

We loved the food. Breakfast was fantastic. We were not disappointed in the selection like some other reviewers have mentioned. I do think that some of the lunch offerings were a bit overpriced. We were the first to order from the new Mayan menu and it was quite tasty. Each night the chef would prepare an amuse bouche and it was always amazing. Also delicious were the treats left in the room at turndown service. Nice touch. The bite of Tres Leches cake was something particularly special.

The property is well-maintained and offers spectacular, do-nothing-but-stare-at-the-water-all-day views.

The gym is certainly not a strong suit of the hotel. While the view is beautiful, the ventilation was poor. Therefore, exercise was hard to maintain for any extended period of time without being smoking hot.

My husband and I had relaxation massages at the spa that were very nice. I also had an Organic facial. The massages were great, the facial just ok. The sun was blazing in my eyes during the facial so it wasn’t the most relaxing. Our massages also started an hour late and although I asked, no one seemed to acknowledge it or provide an explanation. I attributed the lack of communication to the language barrier. Did I just complain about my spa day in paradise? My apologies.

The clientele of the hotel while we were there was mostly young professionals. While we made some friends, for the most part people were quiet and kept to themselves.

One of the biggest strengths of this hotel is the people. The hotel manager has done a great job of staffing the property with genuinely nice and accommodating people and it shows.

We look forward to our next visit!

arizona
Reviewed May 16, 2011

If you can, enjoy or upgrade to a bungalow ...breakfast outstanding ..ambience ...peaceful serene....walk to Playa del Carmen. Downtown. An hour away down the coast ..a gem of a property ..cons...wifi. weak...unavailable sometimes...great pickup/dropoff set up online..do it...

• Stayed May 2011
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed May 16, 2011

My wife and I recenty returned from our honeymoon at Le Reve and both agree that our trip could not have been better. Everywhere you look, there's another postcard. Also the staff were more than helpful in arranging trips, etc. The food was absolutely wonderful! I would recommend this to anyone! as I said before, this is the best kept secret on the riviera maya.

2 Thank mwilliams3501
USA
Reviewed May 14, 2011

We just returned from a getaway at Le Reve, and our stay was amazing. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with every request. The rooms are beautiful, each seemed to have an amazing view of the beach. We did have a few tiny lizards in our rooms, which we honestly didn’t mind at all! (They eat the bugs, so win win!) The beach is very quite, which we truly liked. The shoreline does have some rocks which makes it hard to swim right out from of the hotel but there are water shoes available for quest to use. We spent most of the time swimming in the pool, which was lovely and always clean. Yes, the road leading to the hotel is a dirty road which is bumpy, not really a big deal, I would hope at some point the hotel puts a little money into filling the holes. I would recommend the Master Suite, they are the largest rooms, having an amazing view and extremely huge/private balcony. I would for sure visit the hotel again!!

Room Tip: Master Suite
1 Thank Wishful-traveler-23
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Having just returned from my 5 night stay at Le Reve for a wedding it's best to share my experience while I'm still depressed about being back home in San Francisco. As I've attended many, many weddings in various locations around the world over the last 20+ years I can honestly say the Le Reve without a doubt tops my list. From the charm of the hotel (no tv's or clocks to be found anywhere) to the courteous and friendly staff you cannot beat this place.

There are 25 rooms which were all rented out by the wedding party so essentially for the 5 days it became our home. The great part about taking over the hotel is I did not know too many people attending the wedding but by the end of my stay I not only had a chance to chat with most of the people but could not help but really get to know everyone and share some great stories, laughs, etc. The staff was great! Extremely friendly, attentive to everyone's needs but not overbearing.

A couple of items to note to avoid any disappointment. I stayed in a Horizon Suite which was very nice but if you're expecting a full ocean view you might want to double check which room you're staying in because there are definitely partial views. The other downside was the lack of sand in the ocean directly in front of the hotel. It is almost all coral and wearing some protective shoes is a must if you go swimming or snorkeling. Now you can walk a couple hundred yards down the beach and find a sandy spot to swim in the ocean. However, you will not find a nicer, more relaxing pool with an incredible view than at the Le Reve.

The rehearsal dinner, wedding and reception were all held on the beach and the backdrop could not have been nicer. I normally take these things for granted having never been married myself but to watch how hard Arlenis and Mariana worked to make sure everyone was happy and having a good time while getting their work done was downright incredible. These ladies always had an upbeat and friendly attitude while probably being stressed out from time to time but you would never had known it. Everything was always very well organized with amazing attention to detail from the table settings to the layout of the wedding itself.

The bottom line is if you want a relaxing, quaint and memorable place to have a wedding or vacation where the staff makes you feel welcome and spoiled Le Reve is definitely the place. I'll definitely be back...sooner than later hopefully.

1 Thank travelfishsf
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 1, 2011

My husband and I went to Le Reve in April '11. We were longing to get away from daily routines, kiddos, and work, and we were able to do exactly that at Le Reve. The name really does say it all-- upon entering the hotel and walking around the gorgeous (and beautifully manicured) grounds, it feels dreamlike.

The driveway-- I get why other reviewers had complaints about this, but my husband and I completely agree that the approach takes you off the beaten path and reminds you that you are away from all the tourism of the area...the hotel is so peacefully secluded. Upon arriving, we were brought delicious iced tea with lime while checking in-- delicious!

The rooms--For the first two nights, we stayed in a Garden Suite as the Master Suite was unavailable until our third day. The Garden Suite was very nice, although somewhat small for our taste. There was easy access to the pool and grounds from the Garden Suite. We had the first suite near the pool, and on one occasion, we could hear a loud girl (a guest) at the pool and dishes in the kitchen while we were trying to nap-- this was definitely not routine though. Now, for the Master Suite- if you are trying to make a decision between rooms, the Master is AMAZING!!! It was so roomy with high thatched ceilings, gorgeous blowing curtains, a huge private balcony, and the shower in our suite overlooked the ocean and grounds (not to mention it was huge!). The Bungalows were not in our budget, so I can't speak to those, but the Master Suite may even be a better option with it's gorgeous view from the top of the hotel, plus you feel especially secluded from the other guests.

The service-- Perfect. I agree with other reviewers that it was just enough-- not checking on you every minute, yet not keeping you waiting. All staff were very cordial and professional. We especially thank Roberto, Freddy (who carried an enormous & heavy breakfast in bed all the way up to our suite one morning), Jacqueline, and also the hotel manager-- but we never got his name unfortunately. They really went out of their way to make sure we were happy, and they very much succeeded.

The restaurant-- Breakfast was AMAZING, the kind that makes you not want to get in your bathing suite afterwards... but we were on vacation! After eating that breakfast, we were good to go until dinner. We ate at the restaurant for dinner most nights and enjoyed the food. There were so many layers of flavor in the dishes-- loved them. I would like to see even more local/ traditional entree options on the menu. I know that you can ask for them, but if you're a foreigner and don't speak much Spanish (thus don't know what to ask for), it can be kind of tough.

We would definitely go back to Le Reve. If you are looking for a big, touristy resort getaway, this is NOT the place for you.... If you prefer a luxurious and peaceful getaway, then I highly recommend Le Reve.

Room Tip: Huge deals regularly posted on hotel website!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple