“The best pizza ever!”

Amaro
Ranked #17 of 801 Restaurants in Merida
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: To the tune of the trova, including guitars and bohemian, become trapped flavors, aromas, colors and breezes to create this unique space. On the map menus Yucatan, this place deserves to be tested. It is definitely one of the magical places that has this beautiful city, located in the heart of Merida. In a VXIII century mansion whose historical value is in it says he was born in 1787 Don Andres Quintana Roo important figure in Mexico insurgent lawyer, ambassador, deputy, journalist, poet and husband of a great revolutionary, Leona Vicario. Quintana Roo was born in Merida in 1787.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Inmerse in downtown, the restaurant Amaro is set in an old house, the place is not very big, usually have some exposure (photography,crafts, etc.) At night a trovador enlivened the evening which gives a bohemian air. I could try thes pizza on 2 occasions and definitely its thin and crispy batter make it my favorite! although the Argentine empanadas and fudge cake with ice cream are also delicious. The only thing that would improve is the service.

There are newer reviews for Amaro

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We went to Amaro again and enjoyed the quiet evening in the rain. Setting under the wrap around portal with the elegant stone columns which have to be several hundred years old was an experience. Since few people braved the rain, there were only 4 other tables occupied for dinner. The food is always good, we started with the nachos, fresh fried tortillas, yucatan black beans, a delightful white cheese melted on top which was not at all greasy, guacamole and pickled jalapenos, it was perfect with the drinks and the rain! We shared the coconut shrimp, fresh shrimp, not prebattered and flash frozen as in many places. The serving is large, 6 jumbo shrimp, some nicely prepared vegitables completed the plate. In high season, the restaurant can seem very crowded and noisy, it is a favorite with the tour guides, but try it anyway and I think you will enjoy it.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

This restaurant has a large open courtyard with a big, beautiful tree growing inside it. Since there were threatening clouds overhead, the manager advised us to take a table in the area that was covered. The walls had an exhibit of very interesting photography of people.

The menu was fairly large, with a lot of options for vegetarians and meat-eaters. I had the sesame-encrusted grilled tuna served with steamed broccoli (as per my request) instead of the sauced option on the menu. My husband had tuna-stuffed avocado, which I wished I'd had for lunch! In all, the food was delicious!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I know it is a strange title for a review but it is true. Why? Well, as you can see from the PR ad photo the restaurant is located in and around a courtyard with a very big (and beautiful) tree. During the rainy months (mid May to mid Sept.) there is a great deal of mold associated with that big beautiful tree and the smell is strong. If you have problems related to mold it is not a good place to eat certain times of the year.

Putting this to one side - the food is OK at best. It is not anything different or better than many other Merida restaurants. I have eaten here several times over the years and it does not change - not great - not bad.

There are selections for vegetarians but not really for vegans (the beans have pork fat in them like 99% of all Mexican restaurants.

If you are in "centro" it is and OK place (better than several in 'centro' of Merida), but do not expect anything outstanding.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We were there just yesterday and we are coming again today to meet a friend. My vegetarian husband was in awe-so many vegetarian options. And me, a carnivore, could still enjoy seafood or meat, although i still opted gor vegetarian - i got tired of so much pork for our 10 day stay in the city:) We were so tired of 'wierd' looks we would get whereever we go - merida is a hard place to be for a vegetarrian. Everywhere we went we would be offered a salad ( whats up with that?? Once you ask for a vegetarian option - salad!! What happened to quesadillas, queso relleno, guacomole, nachos?) The music was excellent, the place is very colonial, beautiful arches under a tree. Service was excellent. Thank you, guys!!! See you again today:)

1  Thank RackMarianna