“Finally, Seafood !”

Amaro
Ranked #14 of 870 Restaurants in Merida
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: To the tune of the trova, including guitars and bohemian, become trapped flavors, aromas, colors and breezes to create this unique space. On the map menus Yucatan, this place deserves to be tested. It is definitely one of the magical places that has this beautiful city, located in the heart of Merida. In a VXIII century mansion whose historical value is in it says he was born in 1787 Don Andres Quintana Roo important figure in Mexico insurgent lawyer, ambassador, deputy, journalist, poet and husband of a great revolutionary, Leona Vicario. Quintana Roo was born in Merida in 1787.
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Strangely enough, it is not easy to find good seafood in Merida. However, restaurant Amaro was a good experience. I ordered the Coconut Crusted Shrimp (7 large shrimp ) sereved with freshly mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. My partner ordered the Marinated Shrimp (also a large serving). Both were delicious and nicely presented. After the appetizer of guacamole and chips plus the entrees, we were too full to order dessert, but the choices sounded wonderful, especially the crepes.
Service was friendly and not overly attentive. We never felt rushed. As this restaurant also caters to very larg tourist groups, it is wise to get there early ( around 6:30 or 7 pm). The guitar entertainment, which was quite good, starts at 8pm. and that is when the groups start to arrive.
Placing your food order and eating before 8pm is advised.
The outdoor courtyard setting is nice for fine dining and a romantic setting. After 8pm it gets a bit noisy with 40 to 50 people decending on the place.
I'm sure we will be back for more seafood when next we are in Merida.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Merida has some awesome restaurants and food, but this was my favorite for vegetarian choices. We went 2 times and the vegetarian food was delicious, and my husband enjoyed his seafood dishes. I had mixed veg/soy burrittos with mole sauce with corn tortillas, and the next time I had the same dish with a green tomato sauce. Both fabulous. There was musicians both nights we went which added to the ambience.
The waiters tried to get the orders right, and with my limited Spanish, I thought they did incredible because I am fussy about my vino blanco. All in all a nice experience both times. We thought the service was quite fast.
2 thumbs up from us.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We arrived in Merida pretty late at night and wanted to grab a quick bite with friends. We had heard that Amaro was good so we wandered in with our friends. Three of us ordered cervezas and the fourth Kahlua and coffee. The Kahlua and coffee was super strong, mostly Kahlua! YUM!

We just wanted a small snack so we ordered an avocado pizza to share. It was so good! While we offered it around the table one person opted out. Everyone else agreed that it was delicious and really hit the spot. At the end of every evening, all who tried the pizza said that we should stop and grab another. We talked about it so much that it became a joke with the person who opted out about how he missed out and that he "wasn't offered" any - a dirty lie!

Even though the pizza was excellent and I hate to have any complaints at all about it, I do believe that it could have used a bit of spice. A dash or so of hot sauce would elevated it to perfection. Next time I will ask for some.

One final comment. it is of note that they had a live guitar player performing while we were there. The whole ambiance was very inviting.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My sister and I ate here for dinner since she's vegetarian. Nice, romantic ambiance in a beautiful courtyard but the food is okay (we only got appetizers) and a little pricey in my opinion. The worst part of our experience was that the servers tried to short change us by 100 pesos. When the server came back with my change and I told him it was short, he pretended not to know what I was talking about so I asked for someone who spoke English. Another waiter came and said that he would check. He came back trying to explain to me that my bill was 280 pesos but didn't explain why I was only given 120 pesos when I paid with 500 pesos. He proceeded to walk away when I raised my voice asking him "where's my other 100 pesos?" At this moment, he tried to calm me down and said "okay, okay". He went to the guy at the register/bar area and came back with my exact change without any word. I may only speak rudimentary Spanish but I can still add! It's a shame that they tarnished my wonderful perspective of the city of Merida. This was my 3rd visit to the city in 3.5 years and I would not hesitate to come back but I will never set foot on this restaurant ever again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

A beautiful courtyard restaurant in the center of old town Merida. Excellent food, and the entertainment that starts at 8:30 in the evening was excellent, too!