“Great Nacho's and service”
Review of Amaro

Amaro
Ranked #16 of 803 Restaurants in Merida
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: To the tune of the trova, including guitars and bohemian, become trapped flavors, aromas, colors and breezes to create this unique space. On the map menus Yucatan, this place deserves to be tested. It is definitely one of the magical places that has this beautiful city, located in the heart of Merida. In a VXIII century mansion whose historical value is in it says he was born in 1787 Don Andres Quintana Roo important figure in Mexico insurgent lawyer, ambassador, deputy, journalist, poet and husband of a great revolutionary, Leona Vicario. Quintana Roo was born in Merida in 1787.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stopped in for a short break while walking around centro. The nacho's were excellent. The court yard was a pleasant quiet break from the bustling street. Service was excellent.

There are newer reviews for Amaro

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We own a 250 years old Colonial house in centro since 3 years now. We discovered Amaro on our very first trip to Merida and we immediately became "family".... Every single time we showed up bellow the entrance porch, we were greeted by hugs, smile and warm welcome. They never forgot about us from one visit to another even when those visits were spaced by months.
The food is simple but great, good quality and great value. The ambiance is fantastic and as much romantic you can imagine. The arches, the "trova", everything is there to spend a wonderful and very special evening! And I even don't say anything about their incredible Margarittas (Dos Margarittas por favor! Un con sal y la otra sin sal...)>
Thanks to all the staff and to Olga, the owner, to make our visit to Merida so special every time
(and please forgive my English as it is not my first language)

2  Thank Pmsxm
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Amaro is a restaurant this year celebrating 20 years in the wonderful historical colonial building on Calle 59. It is set up around a central courtyard, in the house in which poet and statesman and drafter of the Constitution Andres Quintana Roo was born in 1787. It is also an official municipal site for exhibiting works by artists from Merida and the artworks change every month or so. And every evening there is live music, with Tony singing a medley of Yucatecan, Mexican and other Latin American music. And it is all set underneath a 200-year-old orchid tree.

The service is superb, nothing is too much trouble, though the waiters don't speak much English (as, indeed, they don't in most Merida venues). The menu is large, with dishes from Yucatan alongside pastas and pizzas, steaks and fish, and a large selection of vegetarian items. So really, even my picky family found something for everyone and greatly enjoyed it.

Between us we had the vegetarian brochete (skewers), the empanadas (mini Cornish pasties), the queso en cilantro (melted cheese in tangy coriander sauce), the arrachera (beef skirt, very tender), the chicken Xcatik (breast in a creamy sauce) and the prawn avocado, and everything was very well prepared and presented, not to forget delicious. The cocktails were very good: a bit pricey but that's because our margaritas were made with Don Julio tequila and real lime, and didn't come premixed from a bottle sold in supermarkets as often does in many other places.

The desserts are great, though by the time you get through a starter and the main course, you will have trouble managing a chocolate fudge cake, flambéed pancakes in orange or cajeta (caramel), the local flan... There is the option of a huge glass of freshly prepared mixed fruit salad, though, if you want to feel virtuous.

We have enjoyed many an evening here, and highly recommend it to all our house guests and visitors for both the food and the atmosphere.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Some friends and I had dinner at the Amaro restaurant. It has live music and it is very cosy. It is in a garden with trees, and it is a beautiful place too.
The waiter was nice and quick. We didn´t have to wait too much for our food. The food that I ate was an italian dish and it was good. My piña colada was great too.
It has a very nice atmosphere. We really had a great time.
If a guy wants to ask his fiancee to marry him, that would be the place. I think that It is a very romantic place. You will love it!!!

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I'd read about this place in one of the guide books and had planned to make a visit, but i ran into it one day when it was about to pour rain. I didn't realize where I was and was pleasantly surprised. The place is set up around an outdoor courtyard and has art exhibits all around. They play live music at night apparently, but I was there for lunch. The food is all vegetarian which was a nice change. Most restaurants I went to in merida pointed to salads when you said you didn't eat meat. I had a vegetable fajita and it wasn't salty as I feared it would be. The servers were nice and there was free wifi.

1  Thank JazzyTravellerNYC