“Better than a hostel at a good price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yucatan Vista Inn

Yucatan Vista Inn
Ranked #19 of 84 Merida B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Better than a hostel at a good price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

I thought this place was more akin to an inn or bed and breakfast than a hostel (as the owner describes it at times), very nice and intimate. It's in a quiet and safe neighborhood but not too far off the beaten path and I felt perfectly fine walking about alone after dark. The Yucatan Vista Inn is owner-operated and he is on-premises and very agreeable to chat with. If you are a backpacker and looking for the typical loud, crazy and cheap hostel, this place is probably not for you. However, young couples, Spanish students needing to study or others wanting a safe, clean, charming and quiet place to stay in Mérida at a decent price, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Donny Perry, Austin Texas.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cabrieres, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

A lovely room for 4. Quiet and efficient air conditionning with a beautiful bathroom. Impeccably clean, spacious. Close to the centre and cafés and restaurants. Excellent price and welcome. Great special breakfast, but continental was just toast and watery coffee. Learn to make coffee Alan.
Kathryn
PS We'll come back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is a place with a nice big pool and is very clean. The private room I stayed in was very big and had a TV and bath and has a door to the pool area. The owner is originally from the UK and liked to talk. He had some difficulty to get guests since the last review mentioned about bed bugs in the rooms. However I have not discovered any and it all looked very clean. Although they were maybe even nicer a few years ago since you could see it was in need for some new paint or reconstruction. All in all it was good a price value considered it was more like a hotel. This was just what I looked for: a quiet private room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank pearinga
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

What a great deal. My 2 friends and I stayed here for 2 nights. Alan waited till late our arrival night so he could show us to our rooms which were super clean and everyone was real kind and helpful there. The swimming pool was a nice way to end the day after coming back from the cenotes. Alan had lots of great tips for cafes and places to visit. He also had lots of fun stories to share about his time in Mexico. You will really enjoy this little quaint hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Lovely place to stay. Very clean, with friendly staff and large rooms. Very fast wifi and comfortable common areas. Highly recommend this for one night or a few. Great value for money!

• Stayed December 2011
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

Our first impression of the room was: very clammy. We left immediately after we found that our room had obviously a bed bug problem: We found lots of brown droppings on the matress and live -what we believe have been bed bug nymphs- near the beds headboard.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank mt199
greentygre, Owner at Yucatan Vista Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
I am disputing this review as suspicious, because there were no bedbugs or what they called nymphs, and brown droppings. They didn´t even stay one night, but waited for me to appear and told me I had bed bugs then left smiling.Why were they not angry and complaining ? In their review they mentioned a bedboard, whereas we don´t have bedboards. Plenty of guests before and after them have stayed in the same room. I have also not had one complaint of bed bugs in four years. I also find it strange how detailed they were in their descriptions. In previous bad reviews I have been honest about what was wrong, and we also inspect the rooms carefully before letting guests in. Maybbe they were bitten by a mosquito, but there are definitely no bedbugs in this Guest House.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

NB: My ratings are based on the price ($35 for the one night I stayed).

I booked ahead by emailing the owner (Mr. Thatcher) directly and received a prompt reply and confirmation from him. I arrived late (after 9pm), cranky and exhausted after more than 24 hours' continuous travel. I was so happy to find Mr. Thatcher there and kindly willing to draw me a map to where I could walk out to get something to eat at that hour (I had not eaten during those 24 hours). By the way, the location is great, and, though I'm a woman travelling alone, I had no fear about walking out alone at night.

My room was on the ground floor, with double doors leading to the pool area. It was clean, and with a little fiddling, everything worked -- including the WiFi. The bed was indeed firm, as another reviewer pointed out, but that suited me just fine. Slept like a log. I didn't hear noise from the street, but the many birds in the trees by the pool do sing their hearts out in the morning. Not a bad sound to wake up to! The lock to my room was a little tricky for me, but a very nice lady (I'm afraid I didn't catch her name) repeatedly helped me with it with patience and good humour. The pool is in a courtyard, and has both lounge chairs and tables and chairs. It wasn't swimming weather, so I can't comment on the pool itself, but it was very pleasant to sit out there with my coffee and chat with Mr. Thatcher in the morning.

Breakfast is a do-it-yourself affair, at least on the day I was there. There was toast and coffee available, from what I could see, but I was only interested in hot water for my instant espresso. Two young women were happily cooking up a full breakfast for themselves while I had my coffee, and the kitchen, which is just off the lobby, seemed perfectly adequate for that. (I assume that they bought their own food supplies -- there are plenty of stores within walking distance.)

I had to wait until noon for my car to be delivered, and Mr. Thatcher was very nice about letting me leave my luggage in the lobby and loiter about the place after check-out time.

All in all, the Yucatan Vista Inn is a great value, in my opinion. It's clean, safe, and in a terrific area within walking distance of lots of things to see and do (and around the corner from the English Library, for those who know Merida). I will be staying there again, when arriving to or departing Mexico or after a concert in town, to avoid driving up to the beach at night (where I normally stay). I will also recommend it, without hesitation, to friends in Yucatan who are in the same situation. Just bear in mind that it's a casual place -- take a look at the rates and adjust your expectations accordingly. If you are high maintenance and like to be waited on, it's probably not for you. If you are a seasoned traveller, it will be a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo