“Hands down the best hotel experience of my life so far.”
Review of Hotel Julamis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Julamis
Ranked #4 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Ok. That is a bold statement, I know. But I have stayed in swanky hotels with their hypnotic little luxuries and have basked in the sense of pampering they create. But truly, nothing can beat the luxury of pitch perfect customer service. Want to feel pampered? Come to Hotel Julamis and experience what should be a master class in how to make your guests feel like a million bucks. Owners Mel and Erid are beyond genuine, intuitively attentive and seem to thrive on attending to every detail of your stay and enjoyment of the city of Merida, the state of Yucatan and its surroundings.

And if you are lured to Hotel Julamis by the promise of this exemplary customer service, prepared to be wowed by the beauty and design of the hotel itself. Formerly a private residence and doctor's office, Hotel Julamis was lovingly and painstakingly renovated by the very capable and talented hands of its present owners, artists in their own right.

Mesmerized by the photo on their website, we chose the Suite De Kabáh. The mural on the wall, painted by Mel, created a feeling of opulence and the furniture tied in perfectly. The room was amazingly spacious, with an a/c, mini-fridge stocked with all you can drink water and sodas daily, and beautiful ceramic tile floors. The bathroom seemed to maintain the look and feel of the original, tiled from floor to ceiling throughout, with a combo shower/tub with plenty of counter space. I loved the feel of this art deco-esque bathroom.

Around the hotel there are plenty of opportunities to kick back and relax in public spaces. On the second floor low slung couches, hammocks and a dipping pool create a lounge-like effect. Perfect for late afternoon napping or late night soak-up-the-still-of- the-evening relaxation. Located throughout the hotel are little nooks and crannies that make you feel like you've stumbled upon a secret that you must share with only your favorite people.

Breakfast, included with the cost of the room, is served each morning in a beautiful courtyard. Fresh fruit, agua frescas, toast and coffee. The perfect breakfast to fuel your day. I also found the location to be perfect. Mid-way between the two areas of Merida that you will want to visit and far enough from the central historic district that you can escape the hustle and bustle and ease into relaxation.

When it came time to check out, my husband and I had a really hard time leaving. We had truly become attached to Mel, Erid, their pets Felix and Kiko and the oasis they created at Hotel Julamis. We are eagerly planning our return. And I stand by my statement, "The best hotel experience of my life so far."

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovemonkeys

Reviewed July 20, 2009

The room:
We had the largest room, wich had the best place in the hotel. Proper beds, owever we would appreciate a kingzise bed instaed of the single and small double bed.
The shower was nice. Not great, but good.
There's also a roof terrace, which is very pretty!

The service:
Soldomly had such great service. Mel did just about everything to make our stay perfect. Thanks again!

O, and the art is all made by Mel! Very very nice

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank michielenkirsten
Reviewed July 9, 2009

The hotel is set around a small courtyard and each room has been individually decorated and is full of character. The manager Mel goes out of his way to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beanieskis
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Julamis is quaint, comfortable and clean. It is tastefully remodeled (I loved the murals) and within walking distance to the Zocalo and other landmarks in Merida. Beds and pillows are very comfortable. Every morning I looked forward to my wonderful breakfast. However, what distinguishes Julamis from any other hotel is, of course, the almost extinct art of true hospitality practiced by the owners Mel and Erid. If you are lucky enough to get a room at Julamis, please enjoy it and appreciate it. I recommend this hotel to everyone except mean people.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank MarianWalnutCreek
Reviewed June 14, 2009

On my second trip to Merida, I choose Hotel Julamis based on previous reviews. On my first trip , I stayed at a high profile centro hotel that was pleasant , expensive, and provided pretty poor customer service. I wanted to try a different experience. From making reservations, through every single moment of my stay until I left, I was thrilled. I can't say enough about how charming the hotel is, and how comfortable my room was. Primarily, though, it was the stellar customer service and hospitality of Mel and Enid that makes this hotel shine. I was almost afraid to ask for anything, because I knew they would go far above anything I asked of them. I highly recommend this hotel, without reservation!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank bpug1
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Merida and the Yucatan .

During our travels, we always search for small hotels like this. With only 7 rooms, Hotel Julamis felt like a serene almost empty oasis in the center of a busy city. Water dripping from a courtyard fountain echoing through hallways and candle lanterns added magic to an already charming atmosphere. The rooftop terrace was a great place where we shared iced tequila, smokes and travel stories with other guests.

During our stay we felt looked after by the hotel’s young owners who always seemed to anticipate our needs. The breakfast was very healthy mainly composed of organic fruits, freshly made juice, bran toasts and dark Cuban coffee.

I cannot fault this place and would definitely recommend it to anyone going to Merida .

Denisse Harlim

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DenisseHarlim
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Mel is an extremely gracious host, with a very stunning spacious and well-preserved Colonial hotel with nicely detailed rooms, covered roof deck with hammocks, pool, lounge chairs and couch seating. He was very helpful in making recommendations for dinner and sight-seeing, and offered a very nice breakfast in their open atrium garden space. The hotel is situated only 3 blocks from the main plaza, but it's just far enough away that there wasn't much foot traffic or noise. Parking is very easy there as you can pull up on any block nearby, it was very convenient and extremely safe (especially to get up early and see Merida's surrounding sites including Uxmal, Celestun, Progresso). We stayed in the Suite De Ixil, directly off the lounge which was nice, and the fridge is half-sized one, much larger than dormroom fridges I'd seen in other hotels in the region. The TA rating was well-deserved I found, and would highly recommend it as a great base camp for city and country exploration.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends