“Perfect Size Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Julamis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Julamis
Ranked #4 of 103 Hotels in Merida
San Francisco, CA
“Perfect Size Hotel”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Merida and the Yucatan .

During our travels, we always search for small hotels like this. With only 7 rooms, Hotel Julamis felt like a serene almost empty oasis in the center of a busy city. Water dripping from a courtyard fountain echoing through hallways and candle lanterns added magic to an already charming atmosphere. The rooftop terrace was a great place where we shared iced tequila, smokes and travel stories with other guests.

During our stay we felt looked after by the hotel’s young owners who always seemed to anticipate our needs. The breakfast was very healthy mainly composed of organic fruits, freshly made juice, bran toasts and dark Cuban coffee.

I cannot fault this place and would definitely recommend it to anyone going to Merida .

Denisse Harlim

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DenisseHarlim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
NY, NY
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Mel is an extremely gracious host, with a very stunning spacious and well-preserved Colonial hotel with nicely detailed rooms, covered roof deck with hammocks, pool, lounge chairs and couch seating. He was very helpful in making recommendations for dinner and sight-seeing, and offered a very nice breakfast in their open atrium garden space. The hotel is situated only 3 blocks from the main plaza, but it's just far enough away that there wasn't much foot traffic or noise. Parking is very easy there as you can pull up on any block nearby, it was very convenient and extremely safe (especially to get up early and see Merida's surrounding sites including Uxmal, Celestun, Progresso). We stayed in the Suite De Ixil, directly off the lounge which was nice, and the fridge is half-sized one, much larger than dormroom fridges I'd seen in other hotels in the region. The TA rating was well-deserved I found, and would highly recommend it as a great base camp for city and country exploration.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank sm235
London
Reviewed May 27, 2009

My relaxed and enjoyable days at Hotel Julamis were suddenly interrupted by the uncertainty and anxiety that the recent Swine Flu outbreak created in Mexico .

Although Yucatan had not reported a single Influenza case by the time I was there, my family back home, recent flight cancellations and news exaggerated reports made me rethink my departure date and cut short my stay at lovely Julamis.

Erid and Mel always provided me with excellent customer service but it was during this time of crisis that these two guys showed the best of their humanity. As soon as they learned about my desire to leave, they booked me a hotel in Cancun where to spend my last night and a next-morning flight back home. Mel spent hours on the phone doing the same exact thing with other guests who like me, felt so lucky for being at Julamis more than ever in a moment like this.

I highly recommend this central located and beautiful hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank klstallard
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2009

My friend Jane and I stayed at Hotel Julamis for two nights at the end of March, and it really made our time in Merida.

Mel and Erid are lovely, and from the moment we stepped in the door, we felt like we were visiting friends. Mel spent a lot of time chatting to us about Merida, Mexico and even Cuba, our next destination as he is originally from there. He had fantastic knowledge of Merida, and some excellent recommendations on where to eat, what to see/do and the best places to buy authentic Yucatan things. He also arranged a tour for us to Chichen Itza.

The hotel itself is basic, but very clean and nicely decorated in bright colours. It's in the centre of town, in a really lovely, quiet area, a few blocks away from the main street/action. The roof-top deck and plunge pool looked so lovely - unfortunately we didn't get the time to have a dip!

If you're considering a stay in Merida, then look no further than Hotel Julamis for lovely, friendly, personalised service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gesiet
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I absolutely loved this little hotel, the owners Mel and Erid made me feel right at home. They have one little room with air conditioning, but all the others have great cross ventilation, I stayed in both types and preffered the non air conditioned room. Mel was wonderful with suggestions of places to eat and to visit and to shop. They have a great rooftop seating area where you can visit with other guests and have even made an old cistern into a plunge pool. The courtyard where they served an amazing continental breakfast was beautiful and peaceful. The property is walking distance to downtown, a few blocks but just off the beaten track enough to not be loud with traffic, etc. They also suggested and set up some wonderful trips to the ruins for me. Would I go back......oh yeah! Can't wait. And as a travel consultant I would say that if you want to really experience the true heart and soul of Merida this is the place to make your home base!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank kajee
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We had a wonderful time in February at Hotel Julamis. The hosts Mel and Eriq were absolutely wonderful, hospitable, helpful and are what really make the place. The location is so close to the historic district and very safe. The roof deck is quiet and well decorated as is the garden area. It gives you a real feeling of Mexico.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cprince21
Gold Coast
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Nothing could have prepared me for how friendly, helpful & organised Mel & Erid from Hotel Julamis were. From the moment we stepped foot into the hotel we were looked after and treated like royalty,
Upon arrival, Mel had maps and all sorts of handy tips & advise to offer. Our room was spacious & clean. Mel and Erid were on hand at all times when we had questions about sightseeing/restaurants bars and were able to direct us.
The hotel itself was excellent value for money and extremely central to many of the wonderful hot spots Merida has to offer. The hotel also has free of charge internet that is fast and reliable & offers complimentary breakfast each morning.
I would go back to Merida and in particular Hotel Julamis in a heart beat.
My friend and I were actually really upset when having to say goodbye to Mel and Erid and for the rest of our travels through Mexico we kept commenting on how the service was so much better at Hotel Julamis.
Do yourself a favour - BOOK INTO HOTEL JULAMIS ASAP!!!
Oh and that ladies review about being treated like criminals is far from true. We had no problems at all booking and paid the balance when we got there. The whole payment process was simple and fast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends