“2nd and 3rd time even better than the 1st!”
Review of Hotel Julamis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Julamis
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Kelowna, BC CANADA
“2nd and 3rd time even better than the 1st!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I don't think there is anything more that I could add to what has already been said about Hotel Julamis other than to tell you that I have enjoyed my visits there so much that I've been back more than once. I say "visit" because you're not just staying there, Alex makes you feel as he's known you for years and that you are there to visit him.

I was travelling with a friend who usually stayed elsewhere when in Merida but since I was the one making our reservation...Hotel Julamis was where we were visiting for 3 nights in January before making our way to Sisal, where we would be living the next 2 months for me and 3 months for my friend.

Since my previous visit in 2012, there had been an ownership change so of course I wondered if my visit in January would be as enjoyable...let me assure you, it was even better! Alex is a wonderful host who goes out of his way to make sure you are taken care of. Each morning you will be amazed at the wonderful creations that Alex has prepared, a perfect way to start the day!

The day we were leaving, Alex even offered to drive us to Sisal if our pre-arranged transportation didn't show up...how many people would do that!?!?

I could go on and on but really all you need to know is that you won't have to worry about a thing once you decide to go visit Hotel Julamis, Alex will take care of everything!

Almost forgot to tell you that during my 2 months in Sisal, I had to come back into Merida just so that I could visit Hotel Julamis again!

Thanks again Alex, I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Hotel Julamis is a great option if you're staying in Merida. It's off the main drags, close enough to walk to everything you might go to as a tourist, with some off-the-beaten-track spots nearby. We stayed for 4 nights in March. The rooms have high ceilings and hand painted walls and the roof deck has a soaking tub, miniature palm trees, and several different seating areas for watching the sun set over the city and enjoying the free fine tequilas that Alex, the owner, offers each night! Alex, the owner, is a fascinating characters and a fantastic cook. He makes everything in the elaborate breakfast from scratch -- the croissants are unreal. From the moment that you check in, he's attentive to making your experience at the hotel, and in his adopted city of Merida, the best it can be.

Room Tip: Take Alex's advice and go to La Pigua, a great seafood restaurants that's not written up in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Many thanks to you Alex. We loved our stay in Merida at the Julamis Hotel. Totally agree with everyone who writes to praise the breakfasts. They were invariably creative, delicious and hearty. But, for us, it was you Alex, a 'larger than life' host, who made our trip so special. You were always accessible and helpful, just seemed to 'be there' when we needed you. . . . for guidance, conversation, directions, to have a day trip arranged . . . whatever we were looking for! Hosting the "Academy Awards" night with pizza and wine for all of us was just one example of how you 'go the extra mile' for your guests. Also, sending us off to the airport at 5 am with orange juice and coffee was a bonus!!! You're the best! I've recommended Julamis already and would return in a heartbeat...Lynda and Tom

Room Tip: If I return I will select a room in the hotel rather than the colonial house.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2014

How can we add meaningfully to the many words of praise for Julamis and its congenial host Alex and his wonderful wife Mary? We recently had an extended stay at this boutique hotel perfectly located in the historical centre of Merida. Each morning we left the breakfast table satiated with chef Alex’s amazing breakfasts which on Sundays, saw champagne added to the feast. Throughout our stay, Alex offered suggestions as to how to get the best out of the Yucatan’s splendours…places suited to each visitor’s tastes and pocketbook .
Sunsets would find Alex lighting decorative, eastern-inspired lanterns throughout each floor as well as the stairs, beckoning guests up to the roof top terrace where the 6:00 p.m. happy hour awaited. Guests were offered a variety of tequila selections as they shared the day’s experiences, suggestions for restaurants, open-air music and the most interesting artisans. This venue led to the best of our experiences at Julamis….forging friendships with visitors from around the world. ….. new friends we plan to stay in touch with and meet up with again.
Alex’s generosity to us went far beyond the call of duty…from his warm welcome late in the evening of our arrival to 5:30 a.m. on the day we departed when he and Mary met us and our fellow travellers with coffee and croissants. Our memories include the pleasure in the decorative touches Alex was constantly adding from the new fountain in the breakfast patio to the curtains and lights on the rooftop terrace – as well as the best Oscar party we ever enjoyed!
If you want your hotel to be part of the uniqueness of your Merida visit, this is the place for you!
Jo and Frank- Canada

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed March 12, 2014

What a nice discovery in Merida!! Alex "the manager and on site owner" makes of Hotel Julamis a home away from home stay. He’ll be there to help & assist you and away when you’re looking for peace and tranquility. The Location is outstanding! Just a couple of blocks from historical downtown and the grand Montejo Avenue. Merida is a pedestrian city and the location of Hotel Julamis helps you with that. Don’t hesitate of walking back to the Hotel to take a small "siesta" at hot hours in the summer!
Didn’t get the chance to enjoy the outstanding roof terrace with Jacuzzi and huge sun beds. Next time I’m there, I will take my time for sure to enjoy it. Do not miss Alex's gourmet breakfast!! Not a simple or ordinary breakfast during your stay.
The rooms are in well condition. I hear each room has a theme and high tall ceilings. Bathrooms are ok! Sodas and water in Minibar are free!!
Word of advice! Do not expect to lift up the phone and have room service. This a Small & Simple hotel. Alex is always welcome to help but dont expect a butler on site. Overall Hotel Julamis offers a great location, comfortable and clean rooms, peace and tranquility, good food and great host. Try it out!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2014

When pulling up to the hotel, I had the taxi driver wait. The entrance says la viña and is very simple. I rang the bell and was greeted by Doña Lidia; then the magic that is Hotel Julamis began. The foyer and reception area takes you back in time. You can just feel the weariness slip away. The flowing curtains, subtle lighting and beautiful tiles make you feel as if you have stepped into a Moorish alcazar. Lidia showed us to our room, asking in rapid-fire Spanish if everything was perfect. It was! My husband and I marveled at the spaciousness and warmth of our suite. Lidia was so proud to show us around. Can you tell that she is a gem.

We have been lucky enough to know Chef Alex (Sasha) for a long time. So I was sure every detail in his "magic kingdom" would be perfect. The small patio is so inviting for a cup of coffee, a cold drink or his to die for breakfast. Yes, just pass me my third croissant.

Six o'clock finds his guests on the roof top to enjoy a libation and friendly chatter. Sasha is right there with his guests making us laugh at his many stories and experiences. The evening is alit by twinkling lights and soft candle light. If you are fortunate, his wife Mary will be there and she brings a glow of her own.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Colonial Room and we loved it. Each room has its own personality.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have stayed at several different hotels in Merida in the past but Hotel Julamis has always
been our favorite hotel. We stayed at the hotel three times when it was owned by Mel and
Erid and always enjoyed our stay. We booked a hotel room prior to the new owners buying the hotel. Our visit was to have been at the end of January. Unfortunately, we were not able to getto Merida because of circumstances beyond our control. We contacted Sasha and informed her of our dilemma. She was both understanding and compassionate. We are looking forward to returning to Merida again soon and we will definitely stay at Hotel Julamis because both the hotel and the owners are first class.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family