“Lovely place”
Review of Hotel Julamis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Julamis
Ranked #4 of 104 Hotels in Merida
New York City, New York
“Lovely place”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Spent 6 nights here in May. This is a lovely boutique hotel. We had the smallest room-the Ramon-but it's not small at all. I can only imagine how much bigger the other rooms are.
Hardly spent any time on the roof top deck because we were very busy. But it is really nice up there and the owners put out a few tequilas and lime every evening. I had my best sleep the night I tried a few. It is very quiet here. And the breakfast is the best I ever had at any hotel. It is freshly made daily. Eggs any style but we always had the same scrambled 'Mexican' style with bacon. It was just too good and their coffee is great too.
Aside from that Mel, the owner, was so helpful with information about restaurants and sights to see. And when we decided to rent a car he hooked us up with a local guy right away and the rate was good. Anything we needed they accommodated us and it's such a neat place that you feel great there.
It's a few blocks from the center of town but walking back late many evenings--though not well lit--was not a problem and no one bothers any one. The police are constantly riding around with their lights flashing and really they have nothing better to do.

2 Thank LouLouCrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Julamis during Mardi Gras because it was close to the parade route and yet was very quiet. Our room (apartment really) was very spacious. Our host was quite welcoming and served a very enjoyable breakfast on the patio. On top of all that, it was still inexpensive. We wouldn't consider staying anyplace else in Merida.

Room Tip: The Colonial Suite is definitely worth the little extra price.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Dear Mel,

thank you very much for your hospitality!
Our stay in Merida was one of the highlights
during our round-trip through Yucatan.
The Julamis was the most impressive hotel
in Mexiko: splendid architecture and interior,
very near to the heart of the city
but nevertheless calm and cozy...
Especially the roof terrace was a garantee
for romantic moments!
Thanks to your recommendations we
experienced the most attractive places,
restaurants and cultural activities in the
center and the surroundings of Merida!

Roza&Ivo

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed in this really pretty boutique hotel/bnb for a couple of nights in Merida. It is located 5-10min walk to the main square, and situated on a very quiet calle. Walking around as a couple I felt safe walking back to hotel late at night, however as a female, walking around this area on my own, I may have felt a bit more nervous as hardly anyone seemed to be around. The owners Mel and Eddie were very nice, giving us a map and tips for eating out on arrival. They were aso very accommodating particularly on our last minute change to our departure day, packing us a to-go breakfast, which I thought was really sweet. The decor of this bnb is really pretty and rooms are quite spacious. We unfortunately missed the tequila tasting session on the rooftop area on the Sunday, I'm sure it would have been great. The breakfast was nice and hearty and lovely to sit in the courtyard area. There is also a small spa tub on the rooftop that you can sit in to cool down on a very hot day. Drinks in the room were complimentary which included beer and sodas! Overall a really nice play to stay in Merida and great value for money.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in April at Hotel Julamis, centrally located in historical Merida.. The hotel is small and charming: artwork, tropical plants, and flowers abound. Each morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast (included) in the quiet courtyard patio. First, excellent coffee, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and individual bowls of artfully cut and placed fresh fruit, including cantaloup, grapes, watermelon, berries, and the sweetest bananas we've ever tasted. Then a choice between delicious Mexican scrambled eggs and toast or two eggs, bacon, and toast. Needless to say, no need for eating another meal until dinnertime!

We stayed in the suite: living room, small kitchen, eating area with a table and chairs, bedroom with large and comfy bed, and a good-sized bathroom with environmentally-friendly bath products provided. By the way, the refrigerator was stocked with a couple beers, soft drinks, and water. Each day this supply was replenished.

The owners are extremely helpful with their restaurant recommendations, sightseeing suggestions and directions. In the evenings after returning from dinner, we often enjoyed the large rooftop patio, with its city views, hot tub, lounge chairs, and self-service bar. which the owners set up each evening with several kinds of tequila, lime wedges, and glasses. We would take a glass of wine up with us, just relax and/or visit with the other guests.

The price for all of this was unbelievably low! Although the hotel is charming enough in itself, the owners are the best part! Not only are they knowledgeable and helpful, but they're also creative and committed to their endeavor. Mel's artwork graces the walls, not only the paintings hanging on walls, but also some of the walls themselves he has hand-painted in tropical splendor! Delightful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAROL1945_11
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I very much enjoyed my recent stay at this small B&B. My room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Not fancy, but nice. The needed air conditioning in my room worked very well. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure.

The hotel is pretty well located within the historical center of Merida. It is very close to nothing in particular but only a short walk from sites and restaurants of interest.

The owners are quite nice, personable, and helpful. They look after their guests. They can help book guided tours or help you arrange independent travel by making recommendations and offering advice as for transportation options and locations. This, in my opinion, really enhances my travel experience.

The included cooked morning breakfast in the lovely courtyard was a great way to start the day. Offered only between 8:00-9:00AM though. A tv in the lobby but not in the room - if that is of importance to you. Wi-fi in the room worked great. No phone in room. A mini-fridge in the room was stocked with few bottles of water, bottles of soda, and cans of beer - replenished daily. Nice touch.

The hotel has a very nice roof top patio with lovely seating areas, a nice spa, and a very small bar where they offer complementary self-serve tequila in the evenings. No pool on site.

I cannot compare this property with others in Merida, as this was my first visit to the city and I did not visit other properties. If you prefer smaller properties with a more personal touch, I think the Hotel Julamis is worthy of your consideration. If I ever return to Merida, I'd not hesitate to stay there again and would look forward to it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We arrived ~9pm. There is free street parking all around the hotel. Check in with Mel was efficient and smooth, and he gave us a little map and pointed out some sites and restaurants right away as he knew we would head out for a late dinner. Our room was nice and everything was very clean. A fridge with complimentary beer water and soda re-stocked daily. Breakfast in the morning was healthy and pleantiful, scrambeled eggs with choice of additions, bread, a lot of fresh fruit and fresh OJ and coffee! As previously mentioned we got some great advice on where to eat and visit. I would definately take their advice, because they recommend some great things. They try to show you cool things beyond the ultra touristy perhaps over hyped things. We went to Izamal, and I think we may have been the only tourists (well at least non-mexican tourist) that were there that day. It was a beautiful town and glad Mel recommended it. The rooftop was very wonderful. Lots of seating, some tanning chairs, a thiny pool, a bar (which they brought free tequilla to in the evening time), just there and you can have as many shots as you like! My husband and I brought up a speaker and our ipod and played music, danced around, sun tanned, etc. for a couple hours and we were they only one's up there! I would reommend this place to anyone visiting Merida!