“We really enjoyed our stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Julamis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Julamis
Ranked #4 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Stony Brook
“We really enjoyed our stay!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I had business in Merida that allowed my wife to accompany me, and instead of the American style hotels that were recommended by our hosts, we chose to stay at Julamis, a lovely bed-and-breakfast in a restored home near el Centro, for three days. We couldn't have been happier with the Hotel or with Erid and Mel, who made us feel like family starting right from his friendly, informative emails while we worked out our unusual itinerary. The building itself was also a delight, a Colonial home with the architecture typical to the city, with an antechamber and sitting area opening into a beautifully planted and maintained courtyard with a tiny Moorish style fountain at its center, surrounded by tiny tables. Finely and lovingly restored, the building has been further enhanced by Mel's marvelous adornments, from hand-painted stencils inspired by original tilework, to mesmerising scupture peering out from under the palms at breakfast, to the rooftop deck, jacuzzi and bar. The room, spacious and well-appointed, with good AC and a great shower, was a welcome, comforting relief from the heat of the July sun outside when we arrived the first day, and we knew we had made the perfect choice when we opened the closet to find the fridge stocked with complimentary ice-cold beer, water and soft drinks. What a great feeling! Hyperbole? Not really. Stay here and you too will be sorry to leave.

Room Tip: The rooms we saw were all on the second floor, and the stairs, though not individually tall, are a b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pondman1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Port Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is a real class act. When you enter this boutique hotel you are greeted by its owner, Mel, a former NY city school teacher who has found a new niche by refurbishing this hotel in Merida, Mexico. He takes pains to ensure all is as good as it can be. There are touches of charms found throughout the small establishment. The rooms are very spacious, clean, comfortable, and are all unique from each other. There is a lovely courtyard where breakfasts are served each morning. On the roof of three-story building is a sauna and an unattended bar where you are free to help yourself. The only thing that concerned me when I booked my reservation was no official parking. But when I arrived I found plenty of parking right in front of the hotel on the street which I left there for the duration of my stay. Most of the points of interest in Merida were within walking distance, which made for easy exploration. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Hotel Julamis.

Room Tip: Call hotel ahead of arrival for help in getting a parking spot.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed over the 6Th of July weekend and loved Julamis and Merida. The hotel sits in a quiet street near Pase Montejo. Our room, Ikil was great, always clean, with two big windows, a/c, fridge daily stocked with bottles of water, beer and pop, Completely Gratis!! What a nice touch!
Breakfast was healthy and filling. Nice decor, lots of atmosphere, friendly clientele, couples mostly. Rooftop was gorgeous with spectacular views of the Centro area, evening sunsets and (nicely-lit) close by churches and Cathedral. Easy walk to the folk music performances and museums.
Great value and best staff ever.
Yes! Go to this place...

Room Tip: Room Ixil has a lot of closet space, great for longer stays.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the wonderfully charming Hotel Julamis, from June 29-July 2, 2012. We loved the proximity of the hotel to restaurants, shops, and squares. Our hosts, Mel and Erid, were very warm and welcoming. Mel was especially helpful in recommending places to eat, shop, and visit. What we loved most about Julamis, was that it made us feel at home, from the wonderful breakfast Mel and Erid kindly prepared and served us in the beautiful courtyard to their warmly decorated hotel. It was quiet and absolutely relaxing. We stayed in the Corazon room, and it was perfect. It is spacious, decorated in a way that made you feel like you were at a home away from home (nothing like your typical hotel, where everything just seems so “hotel” decorated). The bathroom is big with a large shower that had just the perfect water pressure and temperature. I mention this because we had just came from a hotel in Valladolid that had such poor water pressure and it was so cold that we had to use the faucet beneath it just to take a bath. We also had our very own private wonderful patio that we were able to lounge in. There was a table with umbrella and chairs, and because my husband smokes, he loved that he could relax and have a cigar or cigarette here with his coffee in the morning.
There is a refrigerator in the room that was stocked with drinks daily at no extra cost!!! We loved it. And, of course, we can’t forget to mention the air-conditioning, which worked perfectly.
Also worth mentioned is that my husband and I rented a car and it was so easy to find street parking right in front of Julamis.
Upon arrival, Mel had mentioned that Merida is a safe place, even in the evening to walk around. And this was really helpful information to us, because we did most of our walking around in the evening as it was so much cooler than the day time. And, he was absolutely right. We felt safe walking home as late as 10:30 in the evening after having a wonderful dinner downtown.
We highly recommend Hotel Julamis and when we return, we will definitely return to Mel and Erid’s beautiful hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had a 10 night stay with Mel and Erid, not fogetting Felix, Kiko and Jatto!!! Mel and Erid are the perfect hosts, we had a particularly stressful trip including a visit to the consular and they were so kind and attentive, the perfect stress relief! They suggested places for us to go and we had a beautiful day at Sisel beach, swimming in the centoes in Cazuma and a very early start to see Chichen (with a packed lunch!!!). These guys are so knowledgeable and passionate about what they do I would recommend Hotel Julamis to everyone. Great location, great rooms, great hosts what more do you need!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Ixil, 2 very large beds loads of closet space perfect for a family
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank emma284
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My sister and I spent 10 nights at Hotel Julamis. What a wonderful experience! Each morning we vowed to get an early start, but we couldn't resist the charming courtyard with its fountain, and Erid and Mel continuing to fill our coffee cups. ...and this is the feature that makes this hotel stand out. The owners are available, friendly and knowledgeable, and willing to share their enthusiasm for their adopted home. They arranged tours, recommended sites and activities, suggested restaurants, and reserved our cab to the airport. Our departure flight was very early in the morning and they even provided a packed lunch for us to take on the plane! When we left, we felt like we were leaving old family friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gretchen31161
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Let me explain. I had several days on the last part of my stay in Mexico with no plans. Before I left for Celestun and Valladolid, I made sure there was a room for me on my last 2 nights at the Hotel Julamis in Merida. During the first part of my stay at Julamis had saw some of the luxury hotels and other botique hotels, but the Julamis has the best hosts - Mel and Eric - who are always responsive to all your questions. Better yet, your room will have a mini fridge with cold sodas, water and beer - gratis. The hotel is exceptionally clean and the beds are quite comfy. I felt very safe. After a late evening at the theatre, my hosts were still up (I am sure they were waiting to make sure I arrived back safely). So you need info on taxi, bus, shopping, tours - they have it all.
I won't even go into detail about the breakfast except to say that HJ sets the standard!
When I returned to the Julamis on my last 2 days of vacation, I felt like I had come home. You will not regret your choice of the Hotel Julamis.

Room Tip: I stayed in 3 different rooms. Each was excellent and your choice should be based on personal prefer...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo