“STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Aragon

Hotel Aragon
Hotel Aragon
Ranked #90 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Houston, Texas
“STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I had never seen a place so gross like this hotel. I know it's only $30/night, but I seriously doubt this hotel is worth paying $1/night by any standards! The "pool" is just a nasty outdoor pond. The staff is just an older man, that just roams around the place and barely talks to guests. He hands you a key to your room, and tell you where it is; doesn't even bother to show you to your room, or anything like that. When you get to your room, you find nasty looking rickety beds (with stolen linens from Hoteles Melia), no alarm clock, awful pillows and a lamp that was so dirty and dusty it should have been thrown away. The window A/C unit was like 50 years old, and you couldn't figure out how to turn it on... and when I finally got it to work, it only had a "fan" mode, no actual A/C.
The bathroom was sick as well. The toilet had a discolored seat, and the rim was scummy and had pee stains. The wastebasket was just an old plastic jug with the top cut off. The shower curtain had nasty stains on it, didn't even try to figure out what they were. No hot water.
The sink area was also disgusting - the water smelled weird, like rotten eggs. The closet had nothing in it, but a couple of mismatched wire hangers. The entire night I felt insecure, because the area didn't look nice AT ALL- and the door lock could have been picked by anybody, since the man outside was old and probably sleeping the entire night instead of watching the property.
I slept with my passport and money in hand. The worst night I've had in YEARS!
I was supposed to stay here from Jan 20 until Jan 26 - I am writing this review on Jan 23, from the Holiday Inn, because I got up at 5am the next morning and left that hell hole.

They have a "breakfast" included in the price - which consisted of the cheapest looking OJ, one loaf of Bimbo white bread and a few things of jelly. They also had coffee, but the mugs were plastic and stained, and disgusting looking as well.

OMG, what a horrible experience, don't do this to yourself. Do not stay at this hotel. You will regret it, and you will leave... I can't see any normal human being staying at this hotel for longer than a night, while they try to figure out where to go next. Also, no internet connection, no wireless, nothing. They have a 20 y/o television in the room, that only has 2 channels.

AWFUL PLACE, STAY AWAY!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank apollo1682

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2011

This is the worst hotel I have ever been to.

We stayed there for three nights as part of a GAP tour around the Yucatan. In the course of our stay we changed rooms three times in desperation. First time we changed the room as the walls and airconditioning hole in the wall were covered in mold. The second room was not so bad but when we prepared for bed and pulled back the bed sheets they were covered in human bodily fluids! We asked for new bed sheets but the 60+ year old at the reception had none. Needless to say we slept in our clothes with our towels as pillows. Later on that night as we sat in the reception afraid to go to sleep, we saw a rat run down the vine/tree from the 2nd floor to the ground floor and go into the kitchen...The next morning we asked for new/clean bed linen. What we got was worse than the first night. We changed rooms again. In the third room there was an inch of mold growing out of the cupboard just like you might find in an old haunted house. All rooms were very noisy as the hotel is right against a main road.

Swimming pool is a joke - literally 1.5 m across and 5 m long.

Stay far far away. This hotel has effectively discouraged me from booking a Gap adventure ever again let alone staying there again.

Top tip: from now on I travel with my bed linen. They do not weigh a lot and guarantee I can have a good nights rest nearly everywhere.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chris A

Travelers are raving about these Merida hotels