“loved it!!!”

Ranked #63 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Nashville, Tennessee
“loved it!!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is simply amazing!!! It is less than a block from the main square and is constantly well lit. There are several terrific restaurants in walking distance and even at night it is not sketchy. In other reviews people complained of the noise, but we were on the second floor and had 2 balconies, and noise was never a real issue. Sure, you could hear some outside noise, but you are on the main square in the middle of it all... considering that, it was quiet! The atrium as so adorable, the staff was very helpful, and the outside area was great. Also, in the dining area outside you have a nice view of the Cathedral. Also other reviews, individuals complained that the room were too small. I don't understand this. We had the master suite, granted, but we also looked at the regular sized rooms and agreed they were by no means small. Also to be noted, this is a boutique hotel and it used to be a mansion. Understanding that, I think, helps one appreciate its overall beauty. Also, for the price, you simply can't do any better. I personally walked near some of the other high rated hotels that were more expensive and none of them had the great location and beauty of this one!

Room Tip: Book early! This place fills up because of the great location! Try to get a balcony, the views at ni...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lquiroz, Owner at Piedra de Agua Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for yor comments on the Trip Advisor webpage. We would love to have you again as our guests and to be able to give our hospitality to your family and friends, we will make sure that their stay is the same or better than the one you had with us. We´ll appreciate the recommendations that you give to the people you know about the hotel, that encourages us to give a better effort everyday and to offer a better service to our guests.
We will forward your nice comments to all our staff and we are sure that will encourage them to be better everyday.
Sincerelly yours
All the staff of Piedra de Agua Hotel Boutique

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This hotel advertises suites instead of rooms which gives the customer a false impression of the hotel. Instead of that, most of the rooms are small with very small bathrooms.
Staff is very helpful and corteous which makes the stay pleasant.

• Stayed April 2011
Lquiroz, Owner at Piedra de Agua Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear guest:

We thank you very much for your honest comments on the Trip Advisor webpage. We are aware about the size limitations that 2 of our rooms have. Let us explain to you that during the restauration of the old building where the hotel is stablished we had to adjust to what was already constructed and that also helped us to keep the magic of this old mansion (such as the size of those bathrooms and the size of 2 rooms that we have). However whenever we have that kind of comments from our guests we try to explain to them about the respect that we had to have to the old mansion and, whenever the availability allows it, we offer them a different room. We did see the note that you left with your comments.
We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again and try other rooms.

Sincerelly
LQ

Travelers are raving about these Merida hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I booked on feb 6 for a 9 day stay at this hotel and one day before comming (imagine) they emailed me to tell me sorry but we need the rooms for a government reunion. They gave us rooms at the Fiesta Americana, which is far from downtown and crowded.

After 4 nights there we did stay in the hotel but service is poor, the waiter is the valet parking guy so in a busy week like this you do not want to be here. They do not have extra beds, they wanted my son to sleep in a hamaca! imagine. Finally they gave us a plastic bed-like (catre).....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Lquiroz, Owner at Piedra de Agua Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear guest:

We thank you very much for your comments on the Trip Advisor webpage. We are very sorry that after calling you on the telephone and talking to you here in the hotel trying to arrange the situation and offering you the free breakfasts for all the family during the rest of the stay with us and the bottle of wine and the courtesies provided were not enough to minimize the inconvenience caused by that group from the state government.
We hope you could give us another opportunity to serve you and make you feel the real quality of our services.
Sincerelly
LQ
Yucatan
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Upside: Loved the decor, great location near downtown square on a transited and illuminated street, staff very helpful and friendly, beautiful pool garden with a view of the Cathedral, continental breakfast is abundant and includes a huge jar of fresh pressed orange juice.
Downside: rooms are small (not a problem for me though); even though they claim to be a boutique hotel and spa, there is no spa area, you can hire a massage but they have to call someone in from outside two hours in advance and the service is provided in your room; you can hear the noise from the bar until very late hours.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 6, 2011

My husband and I just returned from an 8 night stay at Piedra de Agua and just loved it! We booked this trip based on the wonderful experience we had at this hotel when we attended a wedding in Oct/Nov. Everyone is friendly and bends over backwards to please. For us, any imperfections are negated by everything that is perfect. From picking us up at the airport to obtaining theater tickets and putting them in our room, how can you go wrong? One employee came in very early to take us to the airport when we left and we ordered coffee daily which was delivered to our room within a few minutes for a reasonable price. The rooms are extremely clean and the A/C is more than sufficient. It's a lovely old hotel in the best spot in Merida. We made acquaintances in the neighborhood and took buses to Celestun and Progreso with the help of the staff. Merida is a great place to use as a base of operations for exploring the Yucatan. We will definitely be back and we look forward to staying at the Piedra de Agua again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cottonhead
Milwaukee
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I was attracted to this hotel by its beauty -- a combination of historic and chic. Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The problem, for me, came in the details. The first room they gave me had a bathroom so small I could not turn around in it. I'm a big guy, so that wouldn't work. Then they took me to a room with a larger bathroom, but everything leaked -- air conditioner, lavatory, shower. Hard to sleep with the constant dripping of water on tile floors. The third room was better but had no windows. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels the world over but never one without a window in the room. I took it anyway, because all other rooms were taken. The feeling I got is that the management is just not top notch -- not terrible, but the hotel only has 20 rooms -- shouldn't they know, for example, that everything is leaking profusely in a certain room? Outdoor restaurant and bar very cool, with good food. Inside restaurant for breakfast? Terrible service. I waited at least 10 minutes for a waiter to at least acknowledge my presence, but none did. I left and walked up the street and had a lovely breakfast in the outdoor courtyard of the Casa del Balam Hotel. Highly recommended. All this being said, though, I have to admit the price was right -- 900 pesos a night, taxes included, about $75US. Location can't be beat -- a half-block from the Plaza Grande.

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank eecumings
Lquiroz, Propietario at Piedra de Agua Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Thank you for you comment. It is comments like yours that help us impprove ourselves. We are stablished in building that dates back to 1841. During the restauration we tried to do our best to make rooms as comfortable as possible but we are aware that, because of regulations for historical buildings, we cannot make as many changes as we would like to make such as opening extra windows or changing size of some rooms and bathrooms. Thanks to your comment now we have a double maintenance program to make sure that this doesn't happen again. We wan to appologize again and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you againin one of our presidential suites.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Piedra de Agua is a fantastic choice rather than staying at a large impersonal hotel chain. I've stayed twice in 2010. My spouse and I originally stayed for a week in April whilst searching for a holiday home in Merida. The location was ideal, next to the zocalo and catedral. Being there on Sunday's is great with all of the festivities right at your doorstep. Great restaurants from the larger tourist favourites to the "cocina economicas" serving some of the best authentic food in Merida are all within walking distance of a few minutes. With inclusive valet parking and a welcoming and very friendly staff, we found it to be great value. The rooms are clean and well appointed. They have the benefit of rear garden with large plunge pool. In the evenings, this area turns into a smart outdoor cocktail lounge atmosphere that also serves delicious pizzas from their outdoor pizza oven.
I returned for 2 weeks in October to oversee the renovation of my house nearby. I wanted to return as I knew the service, location and value were, again, exactly what I wanted. I was graciously welcomed back to my "home away from home" by owners Carlos and Lyndia and their attentive staff! The owners are a lovely couple who have been running the hotel for many years, both having worked in the large hotel industry in the past. I do not hesitate to recommend the hotel, and am hosting a large gathering of friends in the New Year, in which in will be using the hotel for the guests that I cannot accommodate in my home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business