See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We are an elderly couple who stayed at Casa Santiago for three nights. Previously we were at a small boutique hotel in the city center. It was a very nice hotel, but Merida is very noisy, and staying at Casa Santiago, in the Buddah room, was more relaxing and quiet.
The B and B is truly a paradise in the center of the city. True - it is about 6 blocks from the central square, but being in a residential community makes it more authentic.
If you want a 4 star hotel experience, this is not the place for you. This is a Casa not a hotel,
and because you may not be the only people there, it probably is a good idea that you enjoy the company of others.
Frank (the owner, who sometimes lives there) and his manager Sergio, were very gracious and informative about the surroundings and the Maya culture.
Frank is very gregarious, and even garrulous, so if you are prone to not enjoy being around such types, make sure Frank is not there!
The city of Merida is quite safe, and we did not feel uncomfortable walking anywhere in the evening, or anyplace in the Yucatan for that matter.
I recommend Casa Santiago to anyone traveling to Merida. All of the rooms are very comfortable, and the water is softened, so your shower is extremely enjoyable.
Step out of the ordinary, and enjoy the experience of Frank, Sergio and the rest of the staff!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank CJA2012
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have traveled to Merida several times, and this was my worst experience. The hotel is rather far from the square (despite some of the other reviews) and down a dark street. I felt uncomfortable walking to the hotel after dark. The staff is friendly but the owner is horribly intrusive and invasive. He's rude and passive aggressive.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank jmd23
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My stay at Casa Santiago was a disappointment - mostly because of poor organization and issues with management. For instance, I asked several times for my bill and ultimately could not find any staff member when I was leaving to pay. Also, when organizing side trips outside of Merida, my friends and I got mixed, inaccurate information about prices for these trips and ended up finding our own transportation. Additionally, when I finally did receive my bill the charges were completely incorrect and I received four different bills before the right charge was sent to me.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Jill P
Reviewed January 15, 2013

While the house is beautiful as commented on in other reviews the owner is deceptive in his pricing and did not answer questions like "how much are our rooms each night?" until prodded at the very end. There is also overpricing of the "day trips" and again when directly asked about a day trip to Uxmal we had to wait until the next day to get a price quote which was nearly 3 times what it cost just to take a taxi.
He also "hovers" in the guest area and walks in on the space unannounced and it basically feels more like you are staying in his home than staying in a professionally run hotel. The back doors also do not lock and the windows are left wide open which did not feel very secure if you were to stay there all by yourself. The walk back from the town center is also quite dark as you move away from the main plaza. Overall this is not a place I would recommend.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank swallowtail_16
Reviewed January 13, 2013

You are made to feel incredibly uncomfortable the entire time as the owner, manager, their numerous visitors, and other staff members sit by the pool hanging out, laughing, and drinking -- 24/7. Add to that the dirtiness of the rooms (black hair coiled in the drains, dirty q-tip on floor), the absurdly high prices (compared to much nicer places in town at half the price), and some deception related to pricing and organized trips, people are best to look elsewhere in this great city.

Date of stay: December 2012