See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have traveled to Merida several times, and this was my worst experience. The hotel is rather far from the square (despite some of the other reviews) and down a dark street. I felt uncomfortable walking to the hotel after dark. The staff is friendly but the owner is horribly intrusive and invasive. He's rude and passive aggressive.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank jmd23
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My stay at Casa Santiago was a disappointment - mostly because of poor organization and issues with management. For instance, I asked several times for my bill and ultimately could not find any staff member when I was leaving to pay. Also, when organizing side trips outside of Merida, my friends and I got mixed, inaccurate information about prices for these trips and ended up finding our own transportation. Additionally, when I finally did receive my bill the charges were completely incorrect and I received four different bills before the right charge was sent to me.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Jill P
Reviewed January 15, 2013

While the house is beautiful as commented on in other reviews the owner is deceptive in his pricing and did not answer questions like "how much are our rooms each night?" until prodded at the very end. There is also overpricing of the "day trips" and again when directly asked about a day trip to Uxmal we had to wait until the next day to get a price quote which was nearly 3 times what it cost just to take a taxi.
He also "hovers" in the guest area and walks in on the space unannounced and it basically feels more like you are staying in his home than staying in a professionally run hotel. The back doors also do not lock and the windows are left wide open which did not feel very secure if you were to stay there all by yourself. The walk back from the town center is also quite dark as you move away from the main plaza. Overall this is not a place I would recommend.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank swallowtail_16
Reviewed January 13, 2013

You are made to feel incredibly uncomfortable the entire time as the owner, manager, their numerous visitors, and other staff members sit by the pool hanging out, laughing, and drinking -- 24/7. Add to that the dirtiness of the rooms (black hair coiled in the drains, dirty q-tip on floor), the absurdly high prices (compared to much nicer places in town at half the price), and some deception related to pricing and organized trips, people are best to look elsewhere in this great city.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank DeeDee12
Reviewed January 7, 2013

What a lovely stay at Casa Santiago. My fiance and I are in our twenties and wanted to treat ourselves to cozy & beautiful guesthouse, and this was a great place to indulge for four nights on our otherwise shoe string budget--a/c in the rooms, two pools, awesome gardens and welcoming community vibe. Great mix of ages and backgrounds w the other travelers, with super friendly and interesting staff to make recommendations on day trips and sights around Merida. Beer and wine available in the kitchen on the honor system, home-made granola and pickles, and probably the best shower I have ever had, anywhere...

Date of stay: December 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple