“Perfect, can't be beat”
Review of Hotel Santiago

Hotel Santiago
Ranked #23 of 85 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Perfect location,rooms pool, staff, food and great art. Have returned to this hotel for many years and will keep returning,love the pool and art, You feel like you are staying in a fantastic art museum. Am looking forward to my next stay at the Hotels Trinidad.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Hotel Santiago

Reviewed January 6, 2008

We planned to stay in Merida for 5 nights, but shortened our trip to just one night after disappointment in the city and the dinginess of Hotel Trinidad Galeria. The staff was nice, the common areas certainly unique, but our room was down-right gross. We didn't feel comfortable going barefoot in the shower, the sheets although they smelled fresh, were so thin and gray, they must have been in service for many years. My bathtowel had two huge holes in it and we found a roach in my bag after we left. This place needs a good scrub down. The only pleasant surprise was breakfast in the morning--the omlet and omlet sandwich were incredibly delicious and served by two cute and friendly girls.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kwakaii
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Stayed 3 nights at the Trinidad in '06.
The central location is great. Close to everything in town. Those narrow streets sure hold all the bad air, though. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to penetrate over into the open courtyards of the hotel..
My room was kind of dark and dingy, nails to hang things on, etc, but I didn't have trouble w/ bugs. Our friends, however, got a killer room. The entrance looks down on the back garden courtyard and the front windows look down on the front courtyard. It was luck of the draw, but on return, (I will return), I will insist on this room, otherwise I'll go over tho the Galeria

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 17, 2007

The central location can't be beat and the staff is friendly and wonderful, but the property is dingy and tired. The rooms and hotel are very DARK and the central tropical foliage seems to be a haven for bugs. It's an okay place if you don't have another choice. The rooms are particularly dismal and cubicle like, windowless.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed June 4, 2007

The staff at the hotel made me feel special. The property is beautiful, with plenty of common areas to meet people and/or relax. There was hot coffee, hot water for tea and drinking water available 24 hours a day. In the morning they offer you toast and fruit. There are a few rooms with a/c, some with fans only, even budget rooms with shared bath. I stayed two weeks. An international group of people passed through. We were always meeting interesting people. The secuity is excellent. Highly recommend the hotel. The patio on the roof with the cool jacuzzi is a great spot to enjoy the afternoons or early evenings.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Spent a week at the Trinidad, and it was charming in a funky way, but very basic. All the staff are friendly and the public areas are unusual, but the rooms are very basic. I was told on day 6 that they were booked for the rest of the week (i had not reserved) and was advised that I could go to thier sister hotel, Trinidad Galeria, which was about 2 blocks away. For the same price, this hotel is MUCH nicer, cleaner, more amenities. Ask for room 33, which has AC, a HUGE bathroom, and nice art on the walls. The public spaces are great and the pool is nice. Go there first.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank pinball29
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I loved to look and feel of this place but woke in the middle of the night to find my pillow and bed covered in bed bugs and insects. I told them at the front desk and after them spraying the room they were still appearing on the bed so i packed my stuff and sat in the lounge until the manager was supposed to come in. They were going to be full the next day so they would not move me but could get me in in their other hotel which meant me walking 3 blocks at 4am on my own with bags and i would have to pay for the room that night. When the day officer came in he said that the manager said I have to pay or they were calling the police but were offering me a discount of 20% for a backfull of bites!

I had to go back today as I had booked a tour which was picking me up from there and the duty person said that the manager would be there to see me once I got back from the tour - which he was not´t but the duty guy said that he had left word to pay me back the money which was the least they could do as I found the whole experince very upsetting and had to pay out for an other hotel plus the scars.
The whole thing was handled very badly by the management.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo