“A Gem!”
Review of Hotel Casa Lucia

Hotel Casa Lucia
Ranked #11 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is just the best small hotel in Merida. It's walking distance to shopping, restaurants and sightseeing. The rooms are spacious, clean (special bed linens) and have all you need. Lovely pool and patio area, lovely little dining room, good food and great service. I spent 5 nights there and could not have been happier. A special "shout out" to Alejandro, the night manager. He was able to teach even me (a digital immigrant) how to work the TV! The hotel is truly charming.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms a really special, but the whole place is quiet. Due to my friend's mobility...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kfrutchey

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of the old part of the city, and there are great shopping and dinning options in close proximity.

It is the best of both worlds, in the sense that despite its central location, the rooms are located in the backyard, away from the busy street, so you are not disturbed by noise. The backyard also has a small pool, which is nice as the temperature can get quite high.

Finally, the personnel is very friendly and really makes an effort in order for you to feel comfortable and have a good experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peleus77
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We entered the hotel to be welcomed by beautiful lighting mixed with amazing art and tasteful decor. The staff taking care of the reception desk are amazing people we asked for an upgrade and we received one for the grand suite with a giant bathroom king sized bed that was amazingly soft with a canopy accompanying it. It is also wonderfully located only three blocks from the town square which is near all the good restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is fair the food is great but there chicken salad sandwiches are not the best but are still good. The pool is a good size and has a beautiful shape and its very clean. You can order food and the servers will bring you your food. And it's good to occupy you and your family while the maid cleans your room. I highly recommend this hotel for couples and family's it's a great stay I will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Casa Lucia is an oasis in the middle of historic Merida. The rooms are extremely large and decorated in colonial style. The pool and garden area is the nicest I've seen with a covered portion for shade. I can't think of a nicer place to have cold drinks than alongside the pool -- or better service than was provided by our waiter.
Across the street from Santa Lucia Square -- and 3 or 4 blocks from the main square, it's in an ideal location. Don't be put off by the storefront exterior -- walk through the lobby and out to the courtyard to find an enchanting hidden garden which the rooms overlook.
I've been going to Merida for more than 20 years and this is the nicest hotel I've stayed in. My friends and I began and ended a Yucatan tour at the Casa Lucia -- and looked forward to going back for our last 2 nights after our very relaxing stay for the first 2 nights.

Room Tip: Some rooms have large walk-in showers -- others have a tub and shower. Ask for the one you prefer.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night and had a great experience. Our room was huge, with a bathroom the size of my bedroom in London! My sis/bro-in-law had a smaller room (don't know why), but it was nice as well. The hotel is very conveniently located, near the main attractions in Merida. There is also a street market on Thursday evenings, which starts right outside the hotel. We ate some yummy "crepes" with nutella there! Definitely recommend staying at this hotel and eating at restaurants called Amaro and Freida.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I returned last week to find things falling down, the waiters were trying to sell me tings which was very new, the menu had been cut down to just pizza and sandwiches..before they had amazing pastas. Although it had a beautiful pool and so much character...it isnt what it used to be :(

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DawnCorrigan
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night for a wedding we went to near Merida. We decided on this place because it was on the list of hotels the wedding party listed, and it looked nice in the photos.

It was a quaint place, but by no means a "boutique" hotel worth what they charge. The room was a bit musty, but it cleared up after the A/C ran for a bit. The amenities in the room were ok, and there was no hot water. I wasn't too bothered by the later due to the heat at 3pm.

None of the above would have warranted a post had the following situation not occurred.

Shortly after we arrived, the guy in charge started talking to us about the area and the crafts etc. We decided to freshen up and go check out the city, the same man offered to walk us to the zocalo, so we accepted and as we walked he told us about this area where the indigenous population comes to sell their products. We agreed to check it out and he brought us to this little store, walked us in and disappeared. There was no trip to the Zocalo, or sites, just this little store selling local wares. Long story short we ended up getting ripped at the store, paying too much for what turned out to shabby material. Afterward we walked around, without our "guide" and headed back.

Yes, no one forced me to buy anything, and yes I may have trusted everyone more than I should have but I assumed if a hotel employee takes me somewhere it is not to take advantage of me.

We ordered some food back at the hotel and again, paid too much for a cruddy sandwich and salad.

I felt as if I were being taken advantage of at every opportunity, this is coming from a couple that has lived in Mexico City for four years and is fluent in Spanish.

The hotel itself wasn't terrible, and the rest of the staff was very friendly, but this experience almost ruined the entire trip (Thank goodness for the beautiful wedding).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family